20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 11:34 AM by Alex - DV411

How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN

Jonah_Lee Level 1

I am working at a Final Cut Pro company that has a an XSAN where we store our video and projects. How well does Premiere Pro 5.5. work on the XSAN? Are there are any speed issues? Any problems sharing the media? Basically we don't want to move to AVID because we have too much invested in the XSAN and are hoping that Premiere will work well on the XSAN.

• 1. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't "xsan" but I have read that, in general, PPro does not work well with files on a network

The best way, from what I've read, is to keep a "master" file on the network server, but copy to a local drive for editing

But... now that I've said that... someone is sure to come along who has actual experience

• 2. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
            Jon Chappell Level 3

There's a well-publicized QuickTime API bug that prevents Premiere from writing files over 2 GB to an AFP volume. However, I know lots of people running it successfully on SANs so it's not the case that network usage is broken overall.

The easiest thing to do is download the CS 5.5 trial and see how well it works on your network.

• 3. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
              jasonvp Level 3

JonChappell wrote:

There's a well-publicized QuickTime API bug that prevents Premiere from writing files over 2 GB to an AFP volume. However, I know lots of people running it successfully on SANs so it's not the case that network usage is broken overall.

I don't have an answer for whether PPro work with a SAN or not.  However, from a purely technical/geek perspective, SANs and network storage two totally different things.  That is assuming the SAN in this case is a fiber channel one.  When a machine accesses a file via a SAN, it isn't using any of its network stack to do that.  The operating system just thinks it's a local file, on a local drive.  Don't let the 'N' in SAN (Storage Area Network) confuse you into thinking it's really a network attached device.  It isn't.

Network attached storage (NAS) is another story.  That's where AFP comes into play.

jas

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                Jon Chappell Level 3

I know that... sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just stating a response to the previous comment that a couple of well-publicized issues doesn't mean that all non-local storage is broken.

• 5. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

XSan is OSX specific and therefore not usable with a PC if that is your question?

• 6. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                    Jonah_Lee Level 1

OK thanks, will try them Demo. I think it is actually a fiber SAN, so I think we should be fine, but I forgot about them having 30 day trials.

• 8. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                      Toomany3 Level 1

I don't have XSAN, but I have ReadyNas on a Gigabit server.  I can edit 4 Sony Ex1R clips in multicam directly from the server with little to no studdering.

If I add Canon 7d or 5d footage it gets a little choppier, but still managable.

This is with NO OTHER network traffic.  I I have anyone else doing anything on the server it slows things down a lot.

I personally do as John said and have all our shared projects on the 20TB server and syncing to each local computer (just the necessary files, of course) to edit locally. I use Goodsync to sync up.

But I think with the right configuration, a one man band would have no problems with PP CS5 on a solid network.

• 9. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                        joe bloe premiere Level 5

Is anyone using an XSan with CS5 or CS5.5?

• 10. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                          joe bloe premiere Level 5

A XSan update from Adobe Senior Solutions Engineer Mitch Wood:

Hello,

The bad news is that our XSan testing has been pretty limited. Most  of the information
                          that we know about it has come indirectly from  customers. In short, it works with
                          Premiere Pro. I'm certain that  there are some caveats around configuration and usage
                          (as there is  with any network storage), but the details of that are largely  unknown.
                          The good news is that next week we'll be installing an XSan  in our compatibility lab so
                          we'll have much better information about  its use soon. We have some very large
                          customers that need to use  their existing XSan storage with Premiere Pro, so we are
                          definitely  motivated to make sure it's compatible. So much so, that we intend  to
                          demonstrate a Premiere Pro / XSan workflow at IBC this year.

The bottom line is this - although we don't know much detail about  XSan and Premiere
                          Pro integration now, we will shortly and it's our  intention to make certain that it
                          works well.

Cheers,
                          Mitch

Thu, 14 Jul 2011

• 11. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                            huntson Level 1

Anyone have any update to this?

• 12. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                              DLpres2 Level 1

I second that - any updates from Mitch Wood and Adobe's compatibility test? XSAN and Premiere may be the next generation of our post house's infrastructure (if they're up to the task).

Anyone who's refering to networks and NAS in relation to the topic is missing the point. SANs are completely different and exist because of the difference from networked storage. To client machines, they appear much more like local storage than a network share. I'd expect it to work well but testing is always important.

• 13. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                huntson Level 1

Yes and no.  While XSan is awesome it is an incredibly high-end product compared to Apple's current stock of consumer software.  They have been killing everything off so I would not be suprised if in an iteration or two of OS X it no longer exists.  As soon as I get the money (aka when Apple kills XSan) I'll be migrating to the solution Tiger Technology has.

• 14. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                  DimSanMan

XSan is a great Product.  But it is NOT Apple's Technology, it is StorNext, licensed from Quantum and re-engineered by Apple to run on a Mac.  If you know what you are doing, it is perfectly possible to mix Apple XSan, StorNext Windows and StorNext Linux clients on the same system, all sharing the same data over fibre channel at awesome speeds.  So Bill Gehrke above who said "XSan is OSX specific and therefore not usable with a PC if that is your question?"  is correct in that it isnt called XSan on other platforms, but it does exist and is useable on a PC.  Oh and Premiere works fine with Xsan on a Mac and StorNext on a PC.  StorNext makes the Tiger Technology product look like last decade's news, StorNext has also been around a lot longer and is massively more scaleable and powerful than the Tiger Offering.  StorNext is used by most of the major broadcasters in the world including three of the four in the USA, BBC and SKY in the UK.  XSan itself is also now free with 10.7 and 10.8 and so if you have the budget for the disks and the fibre channel switches and cards, building a fast and stable XSan is a simple enough task.

• 15. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                    IT_ARTIST

Premiere works fine on XSAN. XSAN is a fibre channel SAN that appears on your mac like an internal HD. High peformance XSANs will generally out perform internal disk storage.

• 16. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                      DLpres2 Level 1

Thanks, IT_ARTIST. "Premiere works fine on XSAN" is the first on-topic response I've seen, aside from all the general XSAN discussion.

We have an XServe, 4Gb fiber storage, switch, runs, and HBAs deployed throughout our all-Mac facility - so it's really tempting and cost-effective to deploy XSAN.  Main drawback is that we've been spoiled by Avid's shared workflow and we'll have to lose that.

• 17. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

That said, Premiere Pro doesn't have any locking features so it's not set up to be used by multiple users at the same time. It is suggested that if you are going to have multiple users, split up the project into several smaller projects and then import all the sequences into a master project when completed. We do know that people want to work on shared projects, that is why we are developing Adobe Anywhere. In the mean time, you can read this white paper to see considerations on working with Premiere Pro in a SAN environment: bit.ly/SQQudc

• 18. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Premiere Pro can work with network storage if it's mounted as a network volume (Mac OS) or mapped drive (Windows), and the OS-level device driver does not mark the volume as removable.

• 19. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                            DLpres2 Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Premiere Pro can work with network storage if it's mounted as a network volume (Mac OS) or mapped drive (Windows), and the OS-level device driver does not mark the volume as removable.

I need clarification on that, looks like an oxymoron to me. How can a network volume be nonremovable? In fact, any volume in OS X is removable except, perhaps, the built-in drives that are inside the machine. Does 'network volume' refer to a NAS, SAN, or either?

Also, there's a troubling new report about PPro not working so well on XSAN. According to this PPro ignores POSIX and ACL permissions so it won't save your project - not because of locking but because of permissions.

• 20. Re: How well does Premiere Pro work on an XSAN
                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

The good news is that next week we'll be installing an XSan  in our compatibility lab so

we'll have much better information about  its use soon.

Any updates on this with respect to CC 2015?

We're still seeing unexpected (and show-stopping) behavior with respect to setting access masks on exported files: No group write permissions on files exported from Premiere Pro to xSAN?