2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 1:55 PM by Jim_Simon

Workflow on long project - is it possible to link sequences across project files?

Stevedocmaker Level 1

I'm starting a long form project.  Obviously, I'll need to break it down into sections.

I'm editing a documentary, and the bulk of the film is interveiws with five different characters.  They are all shot with multiple cameras.  I understand how to use the muti-cam editing feature of CS5.5, and it's great.  But, is it possible to create a multi-cam sequence in one project, and then import that sequence into another project, and retain the ability to go back to the multi-cam project and make changes to the edit, and those changes will be automatically updated in the second project?  This seems like it should be possible as it's so similar to the dynamic link feature with After Effects, but it just doesn't seem to work.  After I import the MC edit sequence into a new project it's locked down to the original edit, ie. changes to the original multi-cam sequnece are not updated in the second project.

I know I can do this if I perform all my editing inside one project, but this seems cumbersome.  This file will have so many clips, bins and sub-folders it's going to be hard to keep track of where I'm at. So it seems to me that by breaking this work down into seperate project files, then assembling them into one main edit project just makes more sense.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Keller

• 1. Re: Workflow on long project - is it possible to link sequences across project files?
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          But, is it possible to create a multi-cam sequence in one project, and then import that sequence into another project, and retain the ability to go back to the multi-cam project and make changes to the edit, and those changes will be automatically updated in the second project?

No, each project is an island. What I mean is that once you import one project into another one, it merges into the "host" project and becomes part of it; all connection to the original project is broken. Sounds like you might be familiar with how Avid works (or used to, maybe? Been awhile.) where a project bin was a standalone file, and if you opened it in another project and made changes, those changes would be made in all projects using the bin/sequence. So, I'm afraid that your proposed workflow won't, well, work.

That said, there's nothing wrong with working on a bunch of individual projects (might be smart, actually), and then merging those in a final assembly project. The same rule applies, though: any changes you make to the original projects won't be made in the host project, so you'll want to save that until finishing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workflow on long project - is it possible to link sequences across project files?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

You can always have a top level bin for each part, with all media, graphics, sequences, etc. for that section in that bin.  Open that bin, and you see only the other bins that relate to that section.

1 person found this helpful