7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 7:09 AM by PierreLouisBeranek

Adding cursor to text animation.

Mahsage

I'd like to put a cursor in a text animation and I'd also like the cursor to be a square as opposed to the standard line.How do I go about doing this?

• 1. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you use a Zapf Dingbat letter n?

I'd explore symbol fonts.

Are you trying to use the Typewriter text preset?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
            Mahsage Level 1

No, I'm using my own animation, I see where your going with this though, use offset on a seperate text layer and run it just slightly ahead of other text layers type, animate the blinking cursor for the end and presto, I was just wondering if AE had anything more automatic built into it to simulate the effect of a cursor and I take it from your response thats a no. Thanks

• 3. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Rhys Enniks provides a video tutorial on his website in which he uses expressions and multiple text animators and range selectors to animate text as if it is being typed onto a computer screen, complete with a blocky blinking cursor.

That example is given in After Effects Help, here, by the way.

• 4. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
                Mahsage Level 1

Exactly what I was looking for Todd, thanks!

• 5. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
                  PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Hi Todd,

Is there a way to change the cursor that appears in the Word Processor animation in AE CS6 to a normal '|' cursor, such as the one that appears in Word, the Internet, this very forum's text box, and even every Adobe program when inputting text?

Hopefully I'm missing something and there's an easy way to change the '_' cursor to a '|'.  If there isn't a way to do this, other than building the effect from scratch using one of the dozens of tutorials available, I'll add a FR since this is limitation that  doesn't make any sense, given the vastly larger prevalence of | cursors in day to day computer use (and thus far greater need to recreate in AE projects) vs _ cursors.

Thanks for the input! 

• 6. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Pierre, the character use for the cursor is defined by the Character Value property in the first text animator in the animation preset. You can change that yourself.

Regarding the feature request: I think that you're misunderstanding the purpose of the animation presets that come with After Effects. They're supposed to give you some starting points for creating your own animations; you are supposed to then modify them as needed. They are also supposed to give you something that you can examine and deconstruct to learn how to build such animations yourself. I encourage you to do that with the animation presets, rather than expecting them to do exactly what you need without modification.

• 7. Re: Adding cursor to text animation.
                      PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thank you so much for your response!  With your help, I finally found out how to change the cursor (I was looking in the Effects parameters instead of Text!)  Changing the Character value from '95' to '124' gives me the cursor that I want.  So you're right, definitely no FR required here!

Now what I'm trying to figure out is how to get the cursor to stop blinking while text is being typed, and resume blinking past the last character when typing stops.  This would make the behavior just like an actual cursor on the internet or Word, etc.  Any ideas?  Do you know if a preset like this already exists somewhere?  I'm pretty sure I could tweak the current Word Processor preset to do this, but I have no idea how to do it.

Thanks again!