• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing 72 dpi to 300 dpi

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a stock photo and it's size was 72 dpi. Is it safe to change a file from 72 dpi to 300 dpi? What should I be concerned with when I do this? Any recommendations.

Also, If I change it from 72 to 300 should I make it smaller?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open file

image> image size (copy Width as noted in screenshot)

type in targe resolution in Resolution

go back to Width, paste in original number

notice your file (pixel dimensions) MB did not change (only the resolution)...this is one of the few moves you can make in Photoshop without degrading your pixel information (another one in image rotation)

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

change to 300 in image size but do not resample image, quality will remain the same - ie. same number of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

change to 300 in image size but do not resample image...

Yes!!!

Here is another feature request I make repeatedly... Please have that damn Resample Image box unchecked by default in the Image Size dialog. Clients unknowingly resampling their  images in Photoshop has caused me more grief than anything else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The primary usage of Image Size is to resample (more people are resampling than not). So the default should be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

The primary usage of Image Size is to resample (more people are resampling than not). So the default should be checked.

Additionally, it also happens to be a "sticky" setting, so one would need to be one heck of a nit picker to complain one way or the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not for my workflow RC. It is the screw-ups I have to deal with day-in and day-out. (screwed-up images, not people).  The majority of my users (all have some version of Photoshop) have NO idea what resampling does or how it can greatly affect their image. They go into the Image Size dialog and start futzing around - completely unaware they are altering the original building blocks of their image.

When it is totally messed up, they bring it to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of doubt that any change to the UI is going to protect us from users who don't know what they're doing and just futz around with random settings....

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

charles badland wrote:

...When it is totally messed up, they bring it to me...

Would you prefer not to have any billable work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines