4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 7:10 AM by ECBowen

HDSLR laptop for 5 months in Kenya

dannewestis

Hi,

I'm going to Kenya for 5 months and need a laptop to edit HDSLR from Canon 60D. Since I'm not sure how much I'll use it once I get back home my budget is around $1,000 or $1,400 at the most.

I'm in Sweden, which might limit options to some extent. I know I should look for i7 processor, probably 6 or 8Gb of RAM, 15.6" monitor (I suppose 17" is too expensive) with fairly high resolution. Graphics card seems to be the most difficult, as one I've been looking at (Dell Latitude E5520 Intel Core i7 2620M 2.7 on HM65 chipset) for example has an Intel GMA HD Graphics card.

I've also found a good bargain with an ASUS N53SV CI7 (i7 2630QM on HM65, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card), but that one doesn't have firewire.

What should I not compromise with even in a laptop for around $1,000?

• 1. Re: HDSLR laptop for 5 months in Kenya
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

"I've also found a good bargain with an ASUS N53SV CI7 (i7 2630QM on HM65, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card), but that one doesn't have firewire. "

I suggest that one and an E-sata drive if you need external storage. Should not have a reason for Firewire.

Also may want to look at Cineform Neo Scene if your laptop struggles with the DSLR.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: HDSLR laptop for 5 months in Kenya
            DanielWestis

ECBowen wrote:

"I've also found a good bargain with an ASUS N53SV CI7 (i7 2630QM on HM65, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card), but that one doesn't have firewire. "

I suggest that one and an E-sata drive if you need external storage. Should not have a reason for Firewire.

Also may want to look at Cineform Neo Scene if your laptop struggles with the DSLR.

Eric

ADK

Thanks for the reply! About firewire, I have two LaCie Rugged (USB 2.0 / FireWire 400 & 800) that I use with firewire now. Transferring with USB2 is pretty slow. But they are mainly for fieldwork, I'll get a RAID eSATA disk for editing (although for the price that will cost I could probably get a laptop with two internal disks...).

• 3. Re: HDSLR laptop for 5 months in Kenya
              DanielWestis Level 1

Would this option be better? Dell XPS 17, with i7-2630QM, 17.3 FHD WLED AG (1920x1080) LCD monitor, NVIDIA GeForce 555M, 6GB RAM.

I have a 15% student discount on Dell computers, although this one would be about $160 more than the ASUS.

• 4. Re: HDSLR laptop for 5 months in Kenya
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That would give you a comparable option to the Asus from Dell. However you really need to get that ram to 8GB atleast and 12 would be better.

Eric

ADK