6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 6:30 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?

ExactImage Level 3

I've edited some footage using multicam in the usual way, i.e. create a sequence, embed in another sequence, turn on multicam etc.

I've then copied the resulting edit in to another sequence (not embedded, just copied) to drop it in to an assembled program.  I'm now trying to stabilize a couple of shots but I've hit a problem.

The sequence goes as follows:

[ Clip 2 ] [ Clip 1 ][ Clip 2* ] [ Clip 1 ]

The clip I'm trying to stabilize is Clip 2* (the third one above).   When I right click and tell it to replace with an After Effects Comp (so I can use Warp Stabilizer) it launches After Effects but puts Clip 1 (the part of Clip 1 that was under the chosen Clip 2 in the multicam) in to after effects and not clip 2.

How can I get Clip 2 in to After Effects as a Comp?

To clarify, this would have been the multicam source tracks

[ Clip 2 ] [ Clip 2 ][ Clip 2* ] [ Clip 2 ]

[ Clip 1 ] [ Clip 1 ][ Clip 1* ] [ Clip 1 ]

So it's [Clip 1*] that's going to after effects and not [Clip 2*].   

What am I doing wrong?

[  Mac 10.6.7,  CS5.5  ]

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Hi ExactImage

When you replace your multicam clip with AE composition via Dinamic Link, AE brings your nested sequence into as well.

And how should it organise layers within that comp? Right, in the same way as they are in your nested sequence in PrPro: upper layers in AE comp refer to upper camera in nested sequence, lower ones refer to lower camera. Hence, all you need to bring your view back is just to disable eyeballs in unnecessary layers within that AE comp:

ADL. Multicam.jpg

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?
            ExactImage Level 3

Awesome.  thanks for the prompt reply.   I'll give that a go tonight.  Right now I'm running of the door for a shoot.  Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?
              ExactImage Level 3

Ok - Still Struggling Here!

I have a fairly simply project in Premiere Pro.  It's a MultiCam (2 cameras) with 4 channels of audio (the camera audio was deleted).

Here is a screen shot of the PP sequence:

Screen shot 2011-07-04 at 13.15.03.png

The pink clip has been stablized OK by right clicking and using warp stabilizer in AE.   Now I want to stabilize the short clip before it.  So, I right click on the clip and tell it to replace with an AE comp.   Here is the project |I get in AE:

Screen shot 2011-07-04 at 13.13.07.png

To say this is confusing is an understatement!   Firstly, why are there so many clips?   If this is a full representation of the sequence, why are there gaps in the footage where nothing is being displayed? 

The clips are not neatly cut and layered as in your example.  How am I supposed to know which of the plethora of clips is the one that need stabilizing AND if it's not got a cut before / after it, how am I supposed to be stabilizing just the portion I want?

Sorry if this is basic stuff    There appears to be way more layers that there should be.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                Hm-m-m...

I can't actually recreate your weird AE output...

Well, lets try to move step by step...

When you right click on you clip in PrPro sequence, AE brings into two comps:

- the first one is precise representation of your replaced clip in terms of time - it starts and stops exactly where you need;

- the second one is representation of your nested Multicam sequence.

I assume, when you disabled eyeballs of unnecessary upper layers, you applied Warp Stabilizer onto your Master AE composition.

So, we should have got something like this:

ADL. Multicam. 1 Comp.jpg

Third clip in my example is replaced with stabilised AE comp.

Now select and right click previous clip.

AE brings into two comps again:

- the first one is precise representation of your next clip in terms of time;

- the second one represents your nested Multicam sequence and absolutely identical to what you might have seen when replaced your very first clip.

ADL. Multicam. AE view 01.jpg

ADL. Multicam. AE view 02.jpg

Although you may check of whether the playhead is in right position by just switching between appropriate Master and Nested comps tabs - they are linked in terms of time, treat nested comp just for bringing proper camera view back by disabling eyeballs of unnecessary upper layers.

Apply effects on Master comp, and here we are with two replaced clips:

ADL. Multicam. 2 Comps.jpg
                If you were able to upload your PrPro project or a sample, which caused such a mess in AE comp, I would try to play around.

UPD: looks it's impossible to properly attach images after certain layer in the thread...

• 6. Re: Dynamic Link Bug on Multicam?
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

ADL. Multicam. 1 Comp.jpg

ADL. Multicam. AE view 01.jpg

ADL. Multicam. AE view 02.jpg

ADL. Multicam. 2 Comps.jpg

Looks it's impossible to properly attach images after certain layer in the thread...