8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 5:02 AM by Steve Grisetti

Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9

L3pton

I have posted a few threads like this before, but the problem has not been resolved. I have matched my 1920x1080 24p (Panasonic HDC-TM900) footage to the correct presets when I start a new project. When I play the clips in the timeline the quality is variable and often poor, but when I pause the video the still frame normally has high quality. Audio also sometimes cuts out. I have the MPEG2 codec installed so I really do not know what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated

• 1. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which project settings did you select, L3?

And which format did you shoot your video in? That cam shoots in several modes.

If you selected the correct project settings, there should not be a red line above your clips on your timeline? Is this the case in your situation?

If you are seeing a red line, then your video needs to be rendered. (Press Enter. When the rendering is done, the red line will be green and your video will play much more smoothly.)

However, if your project settings match your video specs, there will not be  a red line above the clips until you add effects or transitions to them.

If you are shooting in 24p, that could be your problem. As you've seen, there is no project setting for 1920x1080 24p. Or for 50p or 60p, for that matter.

You must shoot your video in 50i (PAL) or 60i (NTSC) in order to successfully edit this video in Premiere Elements 9.

• 2. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9
            L3pton Level 1

Thanks for replying.

Project settings were: PAL (I'm in Europe)>DSLR>1080p>DSLR 1080p24

I shot the footage in the AVCHD HA1920 mode, which is 24p.

There is a green line in some places, and while the video plays smoother here the quality is still not great.

So in the future I should shoot in 50i? I thought I selected a 24p setting?

• 3. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9

You are not shooting on a DSLR. You are shooting on an AVCHD cam -- and there is no support for 1920x1080 24p AVCHD in Premiere Elements.

So, yes, you should shoot in 1920x1080 50i if you plan to edit in Premiere Elements -- AND use the AVCHD project setting.

• 4. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9
                L3pton Level 1

Thanks. Silly me, I didn't know what DSLR stood for. Do you know if Adobe will be making an AVCHD 24p mode, or at least make a custom preset available?

• 5. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9

No consumer editor that I know of supports 24p in AVCHD 1080, and I don't know that Adobe plans to either. Sorry.

Panasonic made a strange decision to go with progressive scan formats in your 1920x1080 video. It's been frustrating for a lot of people. Even people using Vegas Movie Studio are frustrated. But that was Panasonic's decision -- not the software's.

• 6. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, "DSLR" stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex, and encompasses quite a few cameras, with the Canon 5D & 7D MK II's being the most common.

Some other DSLR mfgrs. seem to be playing catch up, with Nikon having initially gone with MJPEG, but I think that some of their newer DSLR's are shooting MOV, and probably with the H.264 CODEC. Things seem to be changing quickly on the DSLR front, so what one sees today, might be replaced by something different tomorrow. Still, even commercial video shooters are embracing the Canon 5D MK II's, so I think that others will follow that path to success. For the consumers, it's too bad that there been several "wrong turns" along the way. I can see why Nikon would be reluctant to jump on the Canon "me too" bandwagon, but it is tough to argue with success.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9
                      L3pton Level 1

Under PAL-AVCHD there is only an option for 1080i 25, not 50i. Am I missing something?

• 8. Re: Matched presets-but poor video quality and audio-PE9

50 interlaced frames equals 25 actual frames, L3. So 50i is the same thing as 25 fps.