34 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2011 4:27 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

digiday Community Member

Hello Popular Premiere Pontificaters,

I am using Premiere 6 on a Windows 7 machine.

Is there a way to copy and paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?... I can copy my clip, but when I open the other project, it will not allow me to paste it in there... but I am able to copy and paste a clip within a single project.  I tried everything... pasting in to a new video track and pasting in to an existing video track in the second project, but the paste option simply isn't there when I open the second project.

And if Premiere itself will not allow me to do this in any way, will a copy-paste clipboard type of accessory app allow me to do this?... if so, which is the best, trustworthy copy-paste app that is malware free?

Thanks,

digi

• 1. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
          the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

I cannot remember all of the functions in Pr 6.0, so you might have to test, to see if there are limitations with this method.

First, when doing a Copy/Paste operation, some users have had issues with Audio. Sometimes, the issues appear immediately, but sometimes, for for awhile.

Instead, I would go to your Project, and Delete everything that you do not want, leaving just what you do want. Now, and this is very IMPORTANT, do a Save_As, altering the Project's name a bit.

Import that Project into the seond one. This is where I just do not remember how Pr 6.0 functions there.

If that does not work, due to limitations in Pr 6.0, then try the Clipboard and Copy/Paste, keeping an eye on any Audio.

If you Clipboard is not up to the task, there is a Clipboard "extender," Clip-mate, that should work well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
            digiday Community Member

Thanks Bill,

My clipboard handles the copy and paste function within a single project, but I guess due to the limitations of Premiere 6, it won't handle copying and pasting from one project to another... whereas some simpler movie apps like Windows Movie Maker will allow copying and pasting between projects.

I'll give one of the copy-paste apps a try for this purpose.

On another subject, I can post a separate question, but I thought while you are reading this I could ask a differenct question about another issue that just came up... is there any way to apply a transition between clips that are not in the "Video 1" tracks?

It seems that sometimes, as in this case, one would want to place a transition between clips that are not in the "Video 1" tracks because there are other elements (clips) beneath the clips that need a transition that cannot be above the clips that need a transition... is this because transitions cannot be added to clips set for Transparency Effects?

Thanks again!

digi

• 3. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
              JSS1138 Community Member

Just import the clip into the second project.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                digiday Community Member

Hi Jim,

My "Import" function in Premiere 6 only has "File", "Folder" and "Project" options... no "Import Clip" option.

Also, I thought of "Export Clip" but those options are for exporting/saving a single clip to a new movie file, not for exporting a clip to another project.  I don't want to export an entire project, and, in this case, go through deleting everything except the clip that I want to export... also, my "Export Clip" menu does not have a choice for exporting to another project, but only to video types.

I thought perhaps since simple movie apps like Windows Movie Maker can copy and paste between projects, there would be some way that the simple copy and paste functions would work here in Premiere 6.

Thanks,

digi

• 5. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                  Ann Bens CommunityMVP

How do you get your clips into the timeline in Premiere in the first project?

Do the same for the second project.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                    digiday Community Member

Hi Ann,

I import via "Import>File" as one would normally do.  I wanted to copy and paste an edited clip, with the cuts, transparency effects and motion effects that were already applied to the clip in the first project.

As I said before, since other movie making apps do this between projects routinely, I thought that perhaps Premiere would.

digi

• 7. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

This is the same problem that PrElements users have. The Clipboard clears, when they Exit one Project, and then Open another. That Clipboard extender that I mentioned, Clipmate, works well for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

You should be able to apply a single-ended Transition to a Clip on any Video Track. However, you

Are there particular Transitions, that you are having issues with?

While on the subject of Transitions, also take a look at this ARTICLE on Handles. Now, if you are doing A-B Roll editing, Handles are not that important, but when doing single-Track editing (Pr 6.0 allows for that, doesn't it, or was that first added in PrPro 1.0?). If you can ONLY do A-B Roll editing, then skip the Handles for now, but keep it in mind, should you upgrade.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                          digiday Community Member

Thanks Bill,

I think there are a few decent free copy-paste apps out there too... I think there's one called CLCL that I was going to try before but I didn't get around to it.

On the topic of the transitions... I was trying to add a cross-dissolve (aka cross-fade) between two clips in the non-Video 1 tracks, but according to the PDF instructions, I need a transitions track to be able to do this, and only the Video 1 tracks have a transitions track.  I tried just draging the cross-dissolve transition to an open track between the two slightly overlapped clips that I wanted to have a transition between but that didn't work... I'm not sure what method you are talking about to do this in a non-Video 1 track.

Being a learning amatuer with Premiere, I still don't know what exactly A-B Roll editing is and the difference between that and single track editing... so I can't speak intelligently about that or Handles... I'll get in to your article... thanks.

My work around was making two video clips in Premiere and creating the cross-fade in Movie Maker.

As for the copy-paste issue, I just ended up importing the original piece of video in my 2nd project and re-applying all the cuts, Transparency effects and Motion effects to it again.

If there is a lesson anyplace that you can refer me to about applying cross-dissolve to non-Video 1 track clips, please let me know... I can only find info in the built-in web browser instructions and in the PDF instruction manual about applying transitions to Video 1 clips with a transitions track.

Thanks,

digi

• 10. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                            JSS1138 Community Member
                            I wanted to copy and paste an edited clip, with the cuts, transparency effects and motion effects that were already applied to the clip in the first project.

Then you will need to import the project first.

Or, export that one clilp out and import that new clip.

• 11. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                              digiday Community Member

Thanks Jim,

I just ended up recreating the clip in the 2nd project... I thought of exporting that clip alone as a seperate movie, but then I'm working with a 3rd generation of the clip by the time I get it to the 2nd project... just re-editing the original clip was easier.  I wonder why one can't just copy and paste between jobs... that is unless a copy-paste app makes it work that way... I have yet to try that.

At this point, I'm more interested in finding out how to put a transition between two clips that aren't on one of the Video 1 tracks... that just seems a little crazy to me if one can't do that... but Bill was talking about that being done with a different technique... I'm still not sure what technique that is.

Thanks for your reply.

digi

• 13. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Copy/paste was not available until CS versions.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

My "Import" function in Premiere 6 only has "File", "Folder" and "Project" options... no "Import Clip" option.

This was somewhat confusing as you did manage to import a clip via file/import.

• 14. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                  digiday Community Member

Hi Ann,

"Import>File" does what the name implies... it imports a video file or a still image file, not a video "Clip" from another project with Premeire project cuts, Transparency settings, Motion settings, Speed settings or other applied Effects settings... I know you know that.

I think we all are getting the terms "File" and "Clip" mixed up... maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.

Since copy/paste is a basic system function, I thought since Premiere can copy/paste withing a single project, that it would naturally be able to do so between projects... I still haven't tried a copy/paste app though.

The subject of being able to put a transition between two non-Video 1 track clips still remains... I guess I'll post that as a separate discussion.

What is "function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}" in your last post?

Thanks,

digi

• 15. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

What is "function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}" in your last post?

That is part of the code, that appeared in the header of the material that Ann quoted. It is sometimes shown in the Jive software, that the forum runs on, though seems to be dependent on the reply, from which the quoted material was extracted. By chance, are you replying via e-mail? It could also be dependent on your browser, if you are replying via HTTP and a browser. It is just header material, and is not meant to be part of Ann's post. That is just how it came in.

There are several threads on Quotes in the Forum Comments forum, if you care to read up on some of the material displayed. Depending on several variable, that header material can be rather odd, indeed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                      digiday Community Member

Thanks Bill,

I'm just replying via the Firefox 3.6.17 browser... gotta install the 3.6.18 update.

Thanks for the ref on the erroneously displayed code... I thought it might be something like that.

Also, somehow, the email alerts are finally working correctly here and coming on a regular basis, with all the same, unchanged settings that I had before... seems like that was otherwise hit and miss (mostly miss) but it is working consistently now.

Was your reference to the "Handles" article a solution to the "transition between non-Video 1 track clips" problem... I'm still unsure about that.

Thanks,

.(\___/)
                                      (=0_0=)
                                      (")___(")  My Cat, "Tak" says "Let Meowtside"

Happy 3rd of July.

digi

• 17. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                        JSS1138 Community Member
                                        gotta install the 3.6.18 update.

Dude, Mozilla's up to version 5 now.  You're waaay behind.

• 18. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                          JSS1138 Community Member
                                          put a transition between two non-Video 1 track clips

Target the tracks first.

• 19. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                            digiday Community Member

Hi Jim,

I have Firefox 3.6 by choice... don't like the changes to the new v 4 and beta 5... keeping v3... some things missing, some things are problematic... l like the way I have mine set up and Mozilla is still making updates for v3.6 anyway.

As for the transitions, there aren't any transition tracks in the non-Video 1 tracks... I tried dragging a transition to a plain open track between my two slightly overlapped clips in the non-Video 1 tracks, but nothing happens... can't find any info on this in the PDF instructions or the built-in web browser instructions in Premiere 6.

How do I "Target the tracks first"?  I see allot of references to "Target Tracks" in the instructions, but nothing that I can find that says how to "Target a track".

Thanks,

digi

• 20. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

there aren't any transition tracks in the non-Video 1 tracks... I tried dragging a transition to a plain open track between my two slightly overlapped clips in the non-Video 1 tracks, but nothing happens...

[Emphasis mine]

OK, it's probably just me, and my feeble memory, regarding how Pr 6.0 had to work, but you have lost me.

Can you post a screen-cap showing your Timeline, with some annotations on what you are doing, and where you are dragging the Transitions to?

Maybe Jim and Ann are following closely, but I am a bit lost. Thanks in advance.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                alsclips Community Member

If you want to do a cross dissolve between two clips other than on Video track 1 just place one clip on Video Track 2 and your other clip on Video track 3 overlapping the two clips slightly.  Then use the transparency rubber bands to fade one clip out and the other in.  You may have to adjust the overlap and play a little with the fade out and in but you will be able to obtain the effect.

On the copy and paste I would adjust your Work Area Bar to just take in the area that you want to copy.  Then export that area as a movie and then import that movie into your new project.

Allan 

• 22. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                  JSS1138 Community Member
                                                  how to "Target a track".

Just click on the track header to turn it lighter gray, the part that actually says "Video 2", etc.

• 23. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                    digiday Community Member

Hi guys,

I figure both of you are right about this.

Jim, once I target by clicking on the Video 2 track to make it light gray, then what?... I still don't have a transitions track that shows up... no place to put the transition.

als, when I open my video 2 track by clicking on the triangle to display the "Display Opacity Rubberbands" check box, it is red with a cross through it and it doesn't do anything when I click on it... it is disabled.

Bill, I'm burnt out on making screen dump images after the other day when I finally figured out, with Anns help, how to put a feather blend between two images video images in one frame on another thread.  Picture a video 2 track with a clip in it, then a vacant video 3 track, then a another clip in the video 4 track... the clips in the video 2 and video 4 tracks overlap a bit... I tried dragging the cross-disolve transition from the transitions palette to that vacant track in between yesterday in an attempt to make the cross-disolve... my own idea in trying to make this work... it didn't work... I need a transitions track.

I know that I'm having a hard time with short, one line descriptions about what to do... I'm a person who needs a little more elaboration to understand the complete answer.

Thanks,

digi

• 24. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                      Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Does your interface look like this?

This is called the A/B editing mode.

ab montage.jpg

If not you have selected the lineair(?) editing mode while setting up a new project.

You put your transition between the clips.

• 25. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                        digiday Community Member

Hi Ann,

Yes, I'm in A/B editing mode... but as I was saying, the clips that I want to put transitions between are not in the Video 1 tracks... there are no transitions tracks in the non-Video 1 tracks.

I know I can put transitions in the transitions tracks... there are not transition tracks in non-Video 1 tracks... your screenshot shows the transitions in the Video 1 transitions tracks.

digi

• 26. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                          digiday Community Member

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

For references to what my interface looks like, see the multiple screenshots on this previous thread from Friday...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3772824#3772824

Thanks,

digi

• 27. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                            digiday Community Member

Hi Bill Hunt,

I just read the page that you provided about "Handles"... thanks allot for that ARTICLE.  In your article and the subsequent article HANDLES, "Transitions Overview: applying transitions" linked from your article, it indicates (in PrE and PrPro anyway - I'm in Premiere 6) that transitions can be applied to non-Video 1 tracks... the paragraph below is a quote from that "Transitions Overview: applying transitions" article...

"Whatever is below the transition in a Timeline panel appears in the transparent portion of the transition (the portion of the effect that would display frames from the adjacent clip in a two-sided transition). If the clip is on Video 1 or has no clips beneath it, the transparent portions display black. If the clip is on a track above another clip, the lower clip is shown through the transition, making it look like a double-sided transition."

So this indicates that transitions can be applied to non-Video 1 tracks since it is referring to content in tracks beneath a transparent fade that would show through... and only non-Video 1 tracks can be transparent and have other clips "beneath" them in the timeline, right?

In the screenshot sample in your article at this LINK, I see the handles (referred to as B and E) and I can see in my monitor window how those handles would be represented by the two little bracket symbols {  }  ... you can see how they appear in my monitor window in Premiere 6 in this screenshot, and below, from a different thread that isn't related to this topic.

But I'm still trying to figure out how the handles can be applied in the non-Video 1 tracks in the timeline to insert a transition (cross-dissolve) between two clips.

Can you advise me on this?... I posted a separate thread HERE on this topic, but I haven't got any further with finding an answer.

Thanks so much for your article,

digi

MULTI-frameTESTsample_5.jpg

• 28. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

Digi,

As you are doing A-B Roll editing (and in a version of Pr, that I just do not know), I doubt that you have a Handles issue. They basically address single-Track editing, and make up for the lack of A-B Roll editing, where the overlap is clearly visible. In single-Track, one does not see the overlap, so never even think about the need. You see it, and have already accommodated them.

Ann has more experience with Pr 6, than I do, and also John T. Smith (think he started with Pr 6 ?). I only hope that they will be able to use the "way-back machine" to recall the exact operations, and come up with an answer for you.

Good luck, and hope that others can solve the problem.

Hunt

• 29. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                                digiday Community Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks again.

From what I can tell, the issue that I'm trying to figure out with non-Video 1 track transitions is the same in today's Premiere as it was in Premiere 6.

For example, Jim Simon suggests "targeting the track" first, but then what?  And alsclips suggests using the "transparency rubber bands" to fade one clip in to the other, but I'm not finding that technique in the instructions and my little "Display Opacity Rubberbands" box is red with a cross through it and seems to be disabled, but I'm not sure how to enable it.

One of those two described techniques may be the key, but further understanding of them on my part is required to actually try those options.

I guess I'll just have to travel in my "way-back machine" with the other Premiere 6 old timers... I just hope the government doesn't shut down so us Premiere senior citizens get our retirement checks on time.

Thanks,

digi

• 30. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

I guess I'll just have to travel in my "way-back machine" with the other Premiere 6 old timers... I just hope the government doesn't shut down so us Premiere senior citizens get our retirement checks on time.

Good luck, and wish that I could help more.

Hunt

• 31. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                                    digiday Community Member

Hello again Bill, Ann, Jim and alsclips,

Finally, what I've been able to figure out on the issue of non-Video 1 track transitions is this...

Whether one is in the A/B Editing workspace or in the Single Track Editing workspace, a transition cannot be applied between two still images (like from a PSD with an alpha-channel) whether that still image has motion or transparency applied to it or not.

When I'm in the Single Track Editing workspace, this cannot be done... transitions can be placed between two pieces of motion video, but not between still images... and the same appears to be true in the A/B Editing workspace.

If this can be done with rubberbands or in any other way, please let me know.

Or if this is a capabitility that the current version of Premiere has, please tell me about that too.

I figure I can make still images in to video and then re-import them as motion video clips back in to my main project and put transitions between them that way, but then the ability to make the background behind the still image transparent is lost, unless blue/green screen techniques are applied, which is a whole other can of worms that I haven't yet explored.

Thanks for your previous input.

digi

• 32. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                                      digiday Community Member

I finally figured out how to make a cross-fade effect between two non-Video 1 tracks with the Opacity Rubberbands... alsclips was referring to this, but I didn't know how to use the Opacity Rubberbands... a little more reading information did the trick for me.  It takes time to figure some things out and other times things come with a sudden epiphany... "A man's got to know his limitations." (Harry Callahan, Magnum Force).

Here's the most recent effort...

"AFTTISF - Part 5ive - Live in Technicolor"

24 gigabytes
                                                                      575 files
                                                                      1 movie
                                                                      3 links

On YouTube in large screen HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Y3Ha4HtDwQ4&vq=hd720

On regular YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ha4HtDwQ4

On Vimeo.com...

http://www.vimeo.com/26511799

• 33. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?
                                                                        digiday Community Member

It turns out the Bill's original first answer about "Import>Project" is the way to get a set of clips from one project in to another... I just came back to this thread, re-read what Bill wrote and then figured out the correct way to do it in Premiere 6, using the "Import Project at: edit line" option.

Thanks Bill

• 34. Re: Is there a way to copy & paste a clip from the timeline in one project in to another project?

You are most welcome, and glad that you were able to translate it to "Pr 6-speak."

Thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt