6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 10:02 PM by anglojr

Problems printing to .ps

anglojr

I've created a document with a number of placed jpeg graphics. I'm finding that when I print to .ps and then use Distiller to convert to pdf, I'm getting large black stripes across a number of the graphics. I tried changing the "memory freed for graphics" to maximum, but that doesn't help. When I print direct to a printer, they print fine. If I view the .ps file in Preview, they're there, so it happens before Distiller processes them. It doesn't happen on a lot of other similar docs I have. When I place the graphics into a brand new doc, it still happens. When I re-scan and replace it with the new one, it still happens. I'm totally at sea here.

I'm using PageMaker 7 (Mac) running Classic on an older mac. G4-MDD running Mac OSX 10.4.11.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

• 1. Re: Problems printing to .ps
          anglojr Level 1

I got one message, attempting to print, that it could not print graphics of high resolution (it was a 600 dpi scan, cropped in Graphic Converter). I tried again reducing the resolution of the jpeg to 300 dpi, then re-scanning the image at 300 dpi. Neither helped. Now when I try to place the jpeg I'm just getting a light grey rectangle, for one of the scans. When I select it, I get the message that there is a severe internal problem and PageMaker is closing the file.

I have tried with a completely clean template which had seen no graphics or even text, the new scans print (to .ps) with big black stripes. Or, next time I did it, Distiller won't distill - postscript error.

Seems something must be getting contaminated somewhere. I've no idea. What do I need to delete to reinstall PageMaker? Might that help?

• 2. Re: Problems printing to .ps
            BigJohnD Level 3

anglojr wrote:

I've created a document with a number of placed jpeg graphics. I'm finding that when I print to .ps and then use Distiller to convert to pdf, I'm getting large black stripes across a number of the graphics.

John

In the good old days, this was related to underscoring fonts.

Check out the old FAQs, 1.8, here: http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip

(Note the date on these docs; almost ten years ago.)

• 3. Re: Problems printing to .ps
              anglojr Level 1

Thanks for the reply Big John D, but I don't get anything when I try to

open your link.

I'm pretty sure I don't use any underscoring, if that's the issue.

One of my issues is that Adobe never did a Mac OSX upgrade for

PageMaker, hoping, I think to convert everyone to InDesign. I've used

PageMaker for years, I like it, it does everything I need, so I still

use it on an older computer for all my document publishing. So does the

person I work for.

Best,John

• 4. Re: Problems printing to .ps
                anglojr Level 1

Another thing that happens is a "Cannot go to page - disk full" message. With over 600 GB available on the disk.

• 6. Re: Problems printing to .ps
                  anglojr Level 1

Yes, I do realize that I am going to have to learn ID.

BUT…

I just took one of my little b/w scans, placed it into a PM new doc, it printed perfectly.

I placed the same scan in a new ID doc, it printed all blotchy.

What the f.....?