3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 8:25 AM by meta-lingo

Best way to get InDesign pages into AE?

meta-lingo Level 1

I am doing an ad for a book, and I need to animate specific contents from the book, which I have as an InDesign file.  It is about 300 pages long, and I need to use maybe 20 or 30 of those pages in the spot.  I have been using a PDF version of the book, opening individual pages in PS or AI and then breaking the elements out into different layers, but it is pretty labor intensive and the images are highly compressed.

I'd like to get each of the discreet elements from a specific page into a layered PSD or AI file that I can import as a comp to AE so I can start animating right away.  Any ideas for a less painful way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Best way to get InDesign pages into AE?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Opening a PDF in Illustrator and then separating elements into layers is about the only way that I know of. If your PDF's all have the same layer structure when opened then you can write an action in AI to speed things up.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best way to get InDesign pages into AE?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'd like to get each of the discreet elements from a specific page into a layered PSD or AI file that I can import as a comp to AE so I can start animating right away.

That would depend on how the files are organized in InDesign... Certain elements will become separate objects when opening such a PDF in AI then, but it is never perfekt. Simply completely different requirements and program paradigms and the nature of how a PDF works certainly doesn't help. So your handycraft way is pretty much what it will come down to, no matter how unglorious it may be...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best way to get InDesign pages into AE?
              meta-lingo Level 1

Thanks for the help guys!

This seems to be working ok, but I have run into 1 small snag:  the page size is specified in picas and points in ID, and as a result it ends up being too small (531x657 in this case) when I finally bring it into AE, which is fine for the vectors, but causes the raster images to be downsampled a lot from their original resolution.  Also, I have to convert each image to RGB.

For anyone else who might be helped by this thread, my workaround for the resolution issue has been to make a custom PDF preset from ID that is high-res, converts color to RGB, and includes crop marks.  Then after opening the .pdf in AI, resize the artboard 400% (so its over 2k horizontal), then select all and resize 400%.  Things can get nudged off center a bit at this point, but it's not too hard to line it up on the artboard using the crop marks before breaking it all out into layers.  When I bring it into AE as a composition, I'm using "Document Size," and the images are coming in at a high enough resolution to be useful.

In a pinch I could bring in the original .tif images linked to the ID document, but that means re-doing a lot of the layout in AE manually, which is really too painful to do more than a handfull of times.

If anyone has a better way of preserving the resolution of the images all the way from ID through to AE, I'd love to hear it, but for now this seems like the best solution I can come up with.