5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 1:43 PM by Bill Gehrke

Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4

maguig

Hi, I was wondering if this laptop would be equipped to use  Premiere Pro CS4 on,  not so much heavy use. I'll probably get the i7 2620m processor instead assuming it's worth it.

It's a Dell XPS 15

Processor

• 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Display

• 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768)

memory

4Gb dual Channel  DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

hard drive

500gbSATA hard drive (7200RPM)

video card

• NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus

For $100 more the laptop has 6gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus... would the difference in running PP CS4 be only marginal, or would it result in extremely worthy improvements?

I use a desktop for editing but want to be able to use a laptop while I'm mobile, so I just want to assure I purchase a notebook that won't crash often or run too slow to bear while using PP.

also wondering if a notebook with a drive that's only 5400 rpm would be acceptable if I'm also using an eSata?

Thank you for your insight in advanced.

• 1. Re: Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is below minimum requirements for CS5 and IIRC also for CS4. Is it OK to work in the blind because the UI does not show all the options and choices available and does it slower than molasses in winter? If you really need portability, continue saving for a Sager.

• 2. Re: Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Laptop Video Editing PC

http://www.sagernotebook.com/
            -or http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118
            -or another brand laptop with the following features
            -the newer sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor
            -and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much
            -1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
            -and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro
            -and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum
            • 3. Re: Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4
              RjL190365 Level 4

I second Harm's and John's recomendations. That XPS 15, as configured as listed above, does not meet Adobe's practical minimum requirements for either CS4 or CS5. In fact, CS4 actually demands far more RAM than it it constrained to use (as a 32-bit program), meaning that it will never perform well regardless of the platform because CS4 relies extremely heavily on the pagefile due to the lack of total RAM support.

And even if you plan to upgrade to CS5.5, that laptop suffers from several limitations:

1) The i5-2410M, like all other mobile i5 CPUs, is only dual-core. And given that no desktop dual-core system performs as well as even a mediocre quad-core system, the dual-core laptops will likely be even slower than most of the desktop dual-core systems.

2) The laptop has only 4GB of RAM. Unfortunately, the XPS 15 (in most configurations) does not support more than 8GB total of RAM. This means that you'd have to max out on the total RAM capacity just for Premiere Pro to even run acceptably well - and then, only if you choose a quad-core i7 (as in i7-2xxxQM).

3) Because mobile hard drives are typically slower-performing than their desktop counterparts, consider an SSD instead as the laptop's system drive. But then, you'd have to put up with only one eSATA port and two USB 3.0 ports to connect an external hard drive.

4) The GeForce GT 525M is barely adequate for CS5.x (if you choose to upgrade Premiere Pro to the latest version): It uses only DDR3 memory (current fast GPUs use (G)DDR5 memory), and it has only 96 CUDA cores. As such, it would be nearly two times slower than a fast mobile GPU.

5) Dell often includes a fair amount of bloatware pre-installed on their systems - and the bloatware seriously degrades system performance. What's more, some of that bloatware cannot be easily uninstalled - and some parts of the bloatware are left on the system to screw up overall system performance even if the main bloatware apps are uninstalled.

Put them all together, and you might very well end up with a system whose overall performance ranking is at or very near the very bottom of the PPBM5 results list on the PPBM5 site. In fact, even if you use CS4 and run PPBM4, your ranking would still be very near the bottom of the PPBM4 results list on the PPBM4 site.

• 4. Re: Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4
                JFPhoton Level 3

Check out asus  models...My G73 does fine with 14gb memory and NVIDIA 460m vid card  Newer models faster.....best move is to upgrade to cs5 with mercury playback...... CS4 is too slow!!!  Look at test results on PPBM5 website and you will see my results and some newer models much faster. Get a 17.3 inch screen 1920x1080 and remember that with the sandy bridge CPUs the internal hard drive speed is SATA III,where new ssds can run at over 300 MB per second. JFPhoton

• 5. Re: Notebook qualified for Premiere Pro CS4
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is a slightly newer and better ASUS G74SX-A2

This unit is the replacement for the ASUS G73SX-A2

ASUS G74SX-A2

Intel Sandy Bridge Quad Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz) Processor,

17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED Display,

16GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory,

750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive +

160GB Solid-State Drive (SSD) ,

Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive,

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card,

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit,

USB 3.0

Illuminated Keyboard

It is ideal in that if and when you upgrade to CS5.5 it will handle it well.