28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2015 1:47 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Copy and paste effects to other clips

Crooked Path Films Community Member

Well I've exported my sequence from Premiere and am slowly trying to work with the audio in Audition without pulling my hair out.  The biggest problem I have is the lack of ability to copy effects applied to one clip and paste over other multiple clips.  I figured if this was possible in Premiere it should e in Audition, but sadly it is not.  The best I could do is save a preset...is that the only option?  And can I apply a saved preset to multiple clips?    Most of all I like to run normalize and reverb effects to several clips at a time, but geez not being able to do this makes me just want to do it all in premiere and only edit a clip in Audition one at a time if absolutely needed.    Seems like Audition has some features it could really use before it is efficient for production work.  In Protools I can use alt+shift drag to copy to other clips.

• 1. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
          SuiteSpot Community Member

Not sure if this helps but you don't have to save your clip fx as a preset - you can just select all the fx in the clip fx rack and select copy (or ctrl-C) and then select another clip's fx rack and select paste (or ctrl-v).

While this only works one clip at a time maybe when group clips comes in this might be a feature?

• 2. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

I just tried that and it only just copies the clip itself and pastes it on top the other clip.

• 3. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
              SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

I put an alternative solution to your problem to the developers some weeks ago, and they are apparently interested. But absolutely no promises are made at this point as to whether it's practical, obviously. And you won't get to see it until the next release, even if it is. But ultimately, if implemented it would do exactly what you want, with some interesting extra options in terms of what you could do with the effects...

• 4. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

My mistake - hadn't noticed the clip being copied - too focused on the fx

• 5. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

Oh, no worries.  I made the same mistake. 

Sounds like it's not an option.  I still really like the integration of Premiere into Audition though.  It doesn't seem to really be designed for production sound design...more for music production.

• 6. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                    Bob Howes MVP

Depending on the effects you wish to use, another work round might be to assign all the clips you want to process with the same effect (a reverb for example) to a Bus then apply the effect to the Bus which will put the 'verb (or whatever) on all of them at the same time.

Not exactly what you're after, I know, but this way of working makes sense to anyone used to working with physical sound mixers rather than DAWs and NLEs.

Bob

• 7. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                      Imarkem2 Community Member

The easiest way is to open each effects processor (like eq) and SAVE the custom setting as a unique named PRESET.  Then in any future tracks you may simply call up your custom named presets.

• 8. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

And what exactly is the point of replying to a year-and-a-half old thread without even reading the first post in it?

• 9. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                          Imarkem2 Community Member

sorry I will refrain from the forurms... just was trying to be helpful. 

• 10. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

Imarkem2 wrote:

sorry I will refrain from the forurms... just was trying to be helpful. 

No you don't have to do that - you just have to use a little intelligence about posting. Look at the dates on a thread first - and also, make sure you've read it thoroughly. And if you have anything different or useful to add, do it in the context of what's already there.

• 11. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                              mdotslash Community Member

CS6 Audition has a batch process window, look under "Window" to select it. Select the clips you want to batch process and move them to the window.

You can run any effect/action that is saved under "favorites" across all the clips in the window

Under the "favorites" menu option, you can record your own custom action. 

I wanted to do noise reduction and 30+ clips recorded in the same room, so I recorded a favorite that did noise reduction based on the room's noise sample. It worked a treat.

And please, @StevegG, don't tear me a new one if this isn't a perfect solution. I'm pretty sure nobody else has posted a response so far like mine.

• 12. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

mdotslash wrote:

And please, @StevegG, don't tear me a new one if this isn't a perfect solution. I'm pretty sure nobody else has posted a response so far like mine.

No they haven't - and it's an acceptable solution, and at least you read the thread.

The only problem is that the OP hasn't been back here since posting the original query...

• 13. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

DDon't assume I'm not around anymore...just waiting for Adobe to add this function (copy paste to multiple clips) to the software.  Until then, I'm afraid I'm staying away from Audition.

• 14. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                    karenCsprite Community Member

Hi,  I am fighting with the same thing the OP struggled with and I appreciate ANY ideas even when late posts.  I read alot of forums trying to figure out the Adobe products for my needs.  The point is that even if an OP hasn't been back on a forum doesn't mean someone else can't use helpful information.  By the time I start searching the forums I am desperate for ANYTHING that might get me close!!  My thanks to all posters with ideas!!

• 15. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                      mdotslash Community Member

What's the effect chain? Can you add the fx as a favorite and batch process them like I suggested

• 16. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                        Stephen Barrante Community Member

Kind of amazed myself, that the only way to migrate one set of effects to another clip/sequence is to create a preset and then re-apply it. Not quite the standard Adobe workflow.

Adding it as a feature request here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. I recommend everyone else do the same and let's see if we can get this sorted out.

Thanks!

• 17. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                          JQizzle Community Member

So, I just stumbled upon this post because I was trying to figure out how to copy paste effects in multi-track mode and discovered there wasn't really an answer.

But, I did just discover, the same way you can select and change rack order of the specific effects in one track, you can actually select the effect and drag it to another track, effectively duplicating it. (But it appears that you can only move/duplicate one effect at a time to another track)

Not sure if that helps everyone here, but it did the trick for what I was looking to accomplish pretty nicely.

• 18. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                            markr Community Member

JQizzle your solution is a good workaround thanks.

• 19. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                              sonicsavant Community Member

Yes JQizzle, this works nicely!  Further, once you've drag and dropped an effect to another track (actually channel) you can then drag that copied effect back to the original channel, effectively duplicating the effect on the same channel.

Still, it seems it would only make sense to be able to copy and paste an effect on the same channel, as a starting point for a modified version, without having to bounce it through another channel.  Also being able to copy and paste multiple effects as a group would be great.

I'll add my desires to the feature request (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform)

• 20. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                                durdenlm Community Member

Came across this thread and was frustrated to learn that, indeed their is no built in way to copy/paste an effects stack to multiple clips, but I discovered a method that is nearly as quick and painless, so I thought I'd share until Adobe fixes this ridiculous problem.

To the left in the 'Effects Rack' there is an option to save the effects stack as an Effects Preset. You can save the stack with some temporary name, select your other clip, scroll thru the pull down to your temporary name and choose it as a preset. BOOM, pasted. Then you can delete that temporary name if you life for tidiness the way your mother would want things.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

Loving the Adobe to Audition workflow, but there are definitely little things you bump against sometimes that just makes you go, "are you serious?"

• 21. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                                  ryclark Community Member

durdenlm wrote:

Loving the Adobe to Audition workflow, but there are definitely little things you bump against sometimes that just makes you go, "are you serious?"

But then on the other hand there are probably things in there that you didn't even know existed. When you find them it's "Bingo, why haven't I discovered this before?".

• 22. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                                    907 Nomad Community Member

MdotSlash, your batch trick saved me a bunch of hassle.  Can't believe the cut-and-paste function still doesn't exist a full 4years after the OP.  I've always been a bit skeptical of the real effectiveness of filing "feature requests".  Seems to me like a good way to divert the blame... easy enough to say things aren't getting done because we, the users, aren't doing our part.

That being said, I'm off to file another one for this feature right now.  (I know... sucker.)  Who knows, maybe after another 5 years it will actually get done.  Though I still think it's going to take another 10 years before we get the option to feather and/or invert our garbage masks in Premiere.

• 23. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

One of the major problems with making this sort of change with any software that's both extensive and 'deep' is that it can have impacts in places where you least expect them. Changing aspects of plugins is relatively straightforward, as they're sort-of self contained - but anything that affects data flow around the fundamental system will inevitably take longer to develop and test - I'm afraid that's inevitable.

What absolutely nobody wants, or can afford, is an unpredictable system; and without extensive checking, that's what you could easily end up with. And I'm not guessing about this either - it's happened before. Yes I realise that no software is bug-free, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do your damnest to make sure that there are no bear traps in it. And that takes time, especially if it isn't the only thing you have to do.

• 24. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                                        JMettala Community Member

We are talking about a copy/paste action here. Not some core function. And the action is actually already done in the rack preset, but just in a more broad way.

I have to say it baffles the mind that in order for me to copy an effect from a clip to another, I have to make a stack preset and delete it afterwards. So instead of one action there's three actions to do. :/

• 25. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

While I'm sure it does baffle you I suspect you would be far more baffled if you had to actually specify it, get it approved, program it and test it

While the action of copying and pasting may appear a simple concept and a simple user action someone actually has to write the underlying code that makes those actions appear so easy and seamless.

The effort and impact that has as well as the priority and cost is really not for any of us to determine, however, I will say it is probably a lot harder than Ctrl C and Ctrl V

• 26. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips
                                                            JMettala Community Member

Yes, I can appreciate your sentiment. Even though I specifically said in my post that they have already written the action in code, but just in a broader form with the saving of a stack preset. Modifying that exact function, but limiting it to a a single effect should be a couple hours of coding.

That is the reason why it baffles me, not that it's so easy for people to copy/paste in notepad.

• 27. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

Fully understand but I suspect that even if it was just a couple of hours programming (and it may well be less) that is probably the easiest part of a program change.

Pretty sure you will find that if the devs had the freedom to jump in and just make changes it could be done before smoko but in a corporate environment good luck just getting a change request written let alone approved. If you get that far then there is the cost of the change - something else now slips down the priority list or worse still drops off the list

After the job's been prioritised, specified  and allocated then someone has to write it. Sure maybe you can drop the code in in time for smoko but  then the testing team now has to include that function in their test harness and I won't bore you with what's involved there.  After all the steps are signed off its handed to the beta team has to test.

Now assuming all went well you now have a simplified way of doing what you could do previously (sure I know in 3 steps) but what other feature that we didn't have before just got dropped or moved to a later release?

I have probably over simplified this whole but I think you get the picture - coding is probably the easiest part ;-)

Yep I know it all seems so simple from the outside but trust me I've been there, done that and it's nowhere near as much fun as it seems LOL

• 28. Re: Copy and paste effects to other clips

Yeah, and you've got to change the control interface for the changed behaviour, update the keyboard shortcuts, check the interactions, blah, blah... it's nowhere near that simple.