6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 5:48 PM by GameBuilder

Is my Flash CS4 OEM?

GameBuilder Level 1

I bought it like a year ago from softwaremedia.com for $300. It was on sale for $50 off. My receipt doesn't say it's OEM, it just says Flash CS4 Professional. Just today some people were telling me that it might be OEM because it was so cheap. I checked it out, and nowhere on the disc or case does it say it's OEM. The case is a DVD-like case, with the Flash CS4 Pro disc inside and a Lydnia CS4 tut disc. The Flash disc works, I've been using it for a year to make games, and it was going great until now I'm concerned. The serial code sticker is on the back. I skimmed over the end user license agreement and didn't see anything about it being an OEM. I'd think if it was an OEM it would say. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your understanding of the acronym OEM?  Mine is such that you would want your discs to be OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

• 2. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?
            GameBuilder Level 1

But I don't know if it's legal for me to use the software if it's OEM, because I didn't buy it directly from Adobe. I thought OEM wasn't meant to be resold. Basically I want to know if my software is OEM, wouldn't it say somewhere? And if it unfortunatly is OEM, is it legal to use it? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?

If it isn't made by Adobe, it is illegal to have/use it.  You might not want to continue advertising your issue.

• 4. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?
                GameBuilder Level 1

The problem is if it's the OEM version, it's illegal to resell it once you buy it from Adobe. Softwaremedia.com sold it to me. It doesn't say it's the OEM on the disc, case, or my receipt. I even skimmed the license and didn't see anything about it being an OEM. I just want to make sure it's the retail version, so it would be legal for the site to sell it to me. I just wouldn't feel good about using illegal software. Does anyone know how to tell if it's the OEM?

Btw, if you want to play my games: www.kongregate.com/accounts/gamebuilder15 I've been doing really well. I just want to make sure the software I'm using is legal. Some people on the Kongregate programming forum say it's the OEM.

• 5. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?

I believe anything sold legally would have to be OEM.  These are user to user forums and you're looking for legal feedback.  You should contact Adobe directly or maybe a lawyer.  There's probably no one better than the legal folks at Adobe to fill you in on where you stand.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is my Flash CS4 OEM?
                    GameBuilder Level 1

Alright, I guess I'll either have to contact them to be 100% sure or just keep using on it. Afterall, it's not really my fault, I ordered "Flash CS4 Professional," not the OEM. It would be messed up on their end of the bargain, they would be doing the illegal part, which would be selling the OEM when it goes against the agreement. I think it's the retail version though, it doesn't say anywhere it's the OEM and I'd honestly think it would, and plus it came with a Lydnia tutorial disc, and I thought OEM's don't come with any help. I think it's legit. Thanks for the replies anyway.