6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 10:32 AM by kglad

Shots numbers

thiswillbeunique

I'm meant to be doing an evalution using this log sheet. And on the log sheet are title of shot numbers and scenes.

So what is meant by a scene and a shot number?

Is a scene just when the background/ environement changes, and I don't even have a clue what a shot number might be :')

any help is welcomed

• 1. Re: Shots numbers
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're doing an evaluation of what (first question) using what (2nd question)?

• 2. Re: Shots numbers
            thiswillbeunique Level 1

Sorry, I'm a bit new only been a meber for maybe 5 minutes.

From what I know I've made an animated short in Adobe Flash Professional, with little cartoon characters (I've had to make it for my 6th form courswork). And I've finished finished the animation now, and i've been given this...

And basically I don't really have a clue what to do with it, I understand the idea that I was meant to have made an on going record of all the animation principles I had used, but apart from this I don't know where to go because I don't understand shot numbers and scenes well enough to complete it :/

• 3. Re: Shots numbers
              thiswillbeunique Level 1

well I'm not allowed to show you the printscreen of the table i was given to fill in but it's fairly simplisitc.

• 4. Re: Shots numbers

a "shot" or "shot number" is not a flash specific term.

i don't know if it's related to "shooting" a picture with a camera or the fact that all animations are comprised of individual still frame "shots".

a scene is a flash term.  the main timeline can contain more than one scene (if you open the scene panel and add more than one scene).  it's not necessary to use different scenes and often is not helpful.  most developers (like me) have never used more than one scene.

from the sound of your description, you're using one scene.  if you used more than 1, you would recall taking specific steps to create the additional scene(s).

so, in summary, it sounds like you're supposed to evaluate your animation frame-by-frame.  each frame is a "shot".

• 5. Re: Shots numbers
                  thiswillbeunique Level 1

Thankyou! Yeahh I was wondering if my teacher meant frames. I just didn't know whether to believe it because it'll take forever to analyse every frame. Oh well, thankyou for your help, I know what direction to go in now

• 6. Re: Shots numbers

maybe you don't need to give an in-depth analysis frame-by-frame.  maybe you can address major blocks of frames, something like:

frames 122 to 188: main character is running

frame 189 to 222: rain starts and continues to fall

etc