4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 10:48 AM by Peter Spier

Need to create a directory in inDesign using data merge

lisa-renee Level 1

Need to create a multi paged document that contains fields with persons pix, name, address, and phone number.

It will be alphabetized and searchable using an index.

I want the end result to be a multi-page pdf.

Is data merge the tool to use?

Or please suggest some other application, mac please!

Any advice...

Lisa-renee

• 1. Re: Need to create a directory in inDesign using data merge
          Stix Hart Level 5

Yep, Data merge can do that.  You'll want to make multiple records per page, have a look at the help here and report back with specific questions if you have them.

You need to get your document that you're merging from sorted first though, there's a script here that will help you arrange your images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need to create a directory in inDesign using data merge
            lisa-renee Level 1

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000000634 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000000600 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000000600

Hey Stix,
            thanks for replying!

How could I make this doc searchable?

The entries will
            Be alphabetized.

I'm assuming I can alter the look of the pages that the data pours into.

At least 2 master pages, possible?

Thanks, Lisa
            • 3. Re: Need to create a directory in inDesign using data merge
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

A searchable doc really depends on what format the end product will be. If it is a PDF, then you wouldn't have to do anything special to the Indesign doc, Reader has search capabilities.

As for using Data Merge/multiple records, keep in mind this will not create a threaded-continous flowing document with varying length records. It can create pages with X-amount of records, with each record at a fixed size. If you are looking for a continous and threaded document that each record will vary in length, then an XML workflow may be the direction you want to go.

• 4. Re: Need to create a directory in inDesign using data merge
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rorohiko has some scripts that will help with threading the text after the merge, too.

You mentioned two or more master pages. Data merge can only use one master at a time for the merge, and for multiple records you are limited to a single-nonfacing page. This does not mean, though that you can't add and apply other masters, or change to facing pages, after the merge.