3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 8:56 AM by Bill Gehrke

Render times, SSD, NEW RIG BUILD Help?

MartianSpecOps

Hi guys!

Been browsing the forums for a few weeks now, trying to find some info and input on SSDs and maybe a new PC build.

I edit videos, recrationally , its mainly video game gameplay, using an HD PVR, and soon to be some comedy stuff, here's my questions!

Current PC Specs -

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 4.0Ghz

AMD Radeon 5770 @ 850mhz

Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

W.D VelociRaptor 300gb (OS)

W.D Caviar Black 500gb (for the videos)

Coolermaster 650w True Power PSU

1 - Would an SSD help with render times?

Say if it takes 10 minutes to render a video to my W.D Caviar Black 500GB 7200rpm, if i used an SSD instead, specifically the, OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD 2.5", which has a max write speed of 475MB/s, could i bring render speeds down to less than 5 minutes?

2 - Im currently using an AMD Radeon 5770, im currently using PD 9 (since AP doesn't support AMD acceleration), since it has TrueVelocity64, which is like the Mercury Engine i suppose, it helps with video rendering .

With the 5770 helping with the rendering, i bring render times down to 15 minutes, from the usual 45-60 minutes i get in Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere.

If i upgraded to the OCZ Agility 3 60GB + Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (338 CUDA cores), would i be able to render videos in less than 5 minutes in Adobe Premiere?

The settings for the videos i render are, 1280x720, 5MBPS Constant and MP4.

The SSD is SATA 3, so i'd upgrade my MB to a AM3 SATA III mobo, or should i sell my current rig, and use those funds to go towards building a new rig?

Specs for new rig -

Intel Core i7 2600K
      Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
      8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
      AsRock Z68 Pro 3
      Thermaltake A90
      Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
      OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
      Arctic Silver 5
      Noctua U12P-SE2
      Corsair HX750w

Around $1600

or if i was to just to upgrade what i have currently

AMD Upgrade -

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Around $600

And since i'm still with AMD, i'll be able to upgrade to AMD Bulldozer in a few months.

Would the AMD upgrade bring render times to less than 5 minutes?
      Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Render times, SSD, NEW RIG BUILD Help?
          RjL190365 Level 4

To be honest, neither of your planned "upgrades" would improve performance all that much because you have too few drives and you will still have too little RAM. Premiere Pro CS5 still needs more than 12GB of RAM just to perform at its best. In addition, two drives (in your planned upgrade case, one SSD and one HDD) barely meet Adobe's stated minimum system requirements; Adobe strongly recommends more than three separate drives. (In your case, you'd need at least four completely matched hard drives in two (R)AID 0 arrays, with each matched pair in one array, in addition to the SSD.) And current AMD x4 CPU-based systems perform at least three to four times slower than a fast Intel-based system because the AMD CPUs do not fully support the SSE 4.x extensions that Adobe makes heavy use of.

As currently configured, you have a system that's at least 8 to 10 times slower than a fast, properly tuned Intel-based system. And even after you perform the so-called "AMD upgrade", your upgraded system will still be six to eight times slower than a fast mid-priced Intel-based system. And all that is due to the fact that you'd still have only two drives and too little RAM (IIRC you'd still have only 4GB of RAM and only a single hard drive for everything except the OS and programs even after the AMD-based "upgrade").

• 2. Re: Render times, SSD, NEW RIG BUILD Help?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Do you have, or plan to get Premiere CS5 or CS5.5?

If so, I'd definitely say go for the "sell your current rig and buy a new one" option. With CS5 (or 5.5) and the new PC, your render speed would be magnitudes faster than what you are using currently.

Two suggested tweaks for your new PC build list, which looks good by the way, include:

- increase RAM to 16GB (helps w/ rendering speed, which seems very important to you)

- add a 2nd 1TB drive (separate drive for export also helps with render speed)

Finally, run the PPBM5 benchmark to see where you are at now and compare your DVD and Blu-ray render speeds with other PCs on the list to get a feel for how much things will really change. (www.ppbm5.com)

If you do not plan to use CS5 or 5.5, then you can ignore everything that I've said!

Jim

• 3. Re: Render times, SSD, NEW RIG BUILD Help?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

MartianSpecOps wrote:

1 - Would an SSD help with render times?

Say if it takes 10 minutes to render a video to my W.D Caviar Black 500GB 7200rpm, if i used an SSD instead, specifically the, OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD 2.5", which has a max write speed of 475MB/s, could i bring render speeds down to less than 5 minutes?

The settings for the videos i render are, 1280x720, 5MBPS Constant and MP4.

The SSD is SATA 3, so i'd upgrade my MB to a AM3 SATA III mobo, or should i sell my current rig, and use those funds to go towards building a new rig?

Encoding is a more proper word than rendering when you are using those settings.  This prevents confusion with Rendering the Timeline.

Your proposed upgrade to an SSD will not help with the encoding.  It is highly CPU and somewhat GPU dependent.  And more than likely CPU dependent of the missing instruction set that Intel does have and currently AMD does not have.

Since we have no hard data on the future AMD product it is impossible to say buy or sell.  If you need immediate satisfaction the solution is sell it and get an Intel solution.