26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 12:11 AM by Jaap H

Transition Plug-ins

Tofkan11

The standard Premiere transitions are pretty harsh, besides basic dissolves etc.

I'm looking for a inexpensive transistion plug-in package for Premiere. Soft wipe, push, iris, page turn etc.

Something like those that used to be part of Matrox RT.X.Tools.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Transition Plug-ins
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe take a look at Pixelan's Spice. They offer plug-in Transitoins up to CS5, so I would guess that they work with CS5.5 too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Transition Plug-ins
            lasvideo Level 4

Compared to what spectacular transitions FX Factory offers FCP users, PrP transtions from every vendor Ive seen just dont cut it from my 30 year veteren perspective. I have been in contact with a German vendor (CGM) to try to get them to support PrP, but apparently programming for PrPs API as it relates to trahsitions is slow and painful and many folks just dont want to do it. Hopefully the tidal wave of new users will encourage them to do the difficult task. Ive been on a  crusade regarding transitions in PrP for the last year and nothing of any professional caliber has materialized . The closest is 20 mediocre ones in the Sapphire product (which has lots of other things like filters) but at $1500 for 20 ok transitions is just not worth it to me.

• 4. Re: Transition Plug-ins
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If one looks at most Hollywood productions and also TV, they would see that very few Transitions were used - Butt-Cut, Cross-Dissolve and Dip-to-Black.

Exactly how many, and which Transitions would you like to see?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                lasvideo Level 4

I dont work on Hollywood productions. What I have worked is a wide range of clients. From corporate to commercial to to web prresentations and music videos. Working for a video production facility necessitates responding to a wide range of client requests. Some like it simple and clean, some like it nauseating and flashy. Others like somewhere in the middle. Its my job to make them happy. My tastes arent the issue here. Its having all the tools you need to get the job done. When cutting with FCP the vendoers FX Factory and CGM covered all the bases that I might possibly need. Do a Google search and check out theese products. The transitions offer much more than the boring, vanilla and very tired transitions currently included with PrP.

You can see a few examples of my utilization at www.hdshotsandcuts.com.

Beleive me, I hate tacky overuse of transitions. But I like to have a variety to choose from when a client expresses a desire for them  ;-)

• 6. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                  shooternz Level 6

According to their site.

Apparently FXFactory Pro  are also written for After Effects which actually has more compatibilty than even FCP.

Problem solved if you need them.

• 7. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                    lasvideo Level 4

Yes, I am aware that AE supports them but it really doesnt address the issue of using them as just transitions on the PrP timeline, especially in long form projects.

When I cut long form shows I use dynamic link to do any motion graphics or compositing in AE. I have access to FX Factory as well as Trapcode and lots of other great tools. Dynamic link works great for even taking a full 30 sec. sequence cut in PrP and sending all of it to AE.

BUT, when cutting anything longer than a 30 sec. spot things change a bit.

I like to create transitions in a simple. fast way, especially with deadlines these days.Having them on the timeline allows for fast access and alteration. There are 2 techniques for using FX Factory in AE as trasnitions for PnP. Neither way is fast or efficient when creating longer form pieces.

1. To send  every part of the timeline that needs transitions over to AE. Not practicaly in a long form show, expecially when revisions will happen.

2. From the transition point, go back 15 frames and cut. From the transition point go 15 frame forward and cut. Highlight both 15 frame cuts and dynamcially link to AE. This allows you to create a 30 frame. FX Factory transition. Not the fastest most efficient way either. Especially if the client decides to alter the duration or placment of the transition.

So as you can see,, the problem is not really solved for those of use working with clients in a deadline situation .

Your situation might be different than mine.

• 8. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Your situation might be different than mine.

I also work to deadlines but my situation is actually different to yours.

My clients never ask for corny transitions.  If they did...I could easily find one already in Premiere.

• 9. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                        lasvideo Level 4

Not necessarily corny, but flashy and cuting edge.. You wont find those in PrP.

• 10. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

but flashy and cuting edge

OK, whatever you call it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                            lasvideo Level 4

Thanks, right back atcha.

• 12. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                              shooternz Level 6
                              Not necessarily corny, but flashy and cuting edge.. You wont find those in PrP.

When I do need a flashy cute transition on the  "cuting edge"...I now know where to look.

• 13. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Just in case you haven't tried them:

proDAD VitaScene - professional Transitions and Filmlooks in Realtime and best quality thanks to 100% GPU-rendering

(The proDAD web site doesn't promote the transitions as much as the effects, but there are lots and lots of them)

Cool Transitions & Effects Plugins for Premiere Pro: Pixelan Plug Ins

(Pixelan SpiceMaster is the one I use for such things and I don't think I've even looked at all the transitions that come with the package.  Each one is infinitely customizable as well.)

Having demo'd both packages, VitaScene is more "one-click" friendly; SpiceMaster requires a few moments of thought and a few more moments of setting slider bars.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                  lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Jeff. Im on a Mac and it looks like Vitascene is only available for the PC. The Spice Efx just dont have what Im looking for. Again I refer you to take a look at FX Factory transtions. Nobody comes close to the variety and creativity of their library. I do appreciate the thought though.  :-)

• 15. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You're welcome.  Like I said, the SpiceMaster stuff is infinitely customizable.  But it would probably take longer to make a custom transition in SpiceMaster to match what you've seen in FX Factory than it would to round-trip your footage through AE using FX Factory.  But you'd only have to spend the time in SpiceMaster once -- after that you'd have the preset ready to go for next time.

It's too bad VitaScene isn't available for the Mac; I took a look at FX Factory's transitions (as shown on their web site only) and VitaScene can match them one-for-one easily.  There may be a few exceptions, like that slicing, s-shaped thing that FX Factory does. 

-Jeff

EDIT: I thought SpiceMaster was available for Mac, but upon examining their web site, it may not be.  Have you seen a Mac version?

• 16. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                      lasvideo Level 4

Wow, thats a shame. I wonder why they only made them for the PC? Oh well.

• 17. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

While I'm not totally crazy about their interface, NewBlueFX work on both PC and Mac, at least so far as Premiere Pro is concerned. I picked up their Light Blends transitions last week for a song (some "steal the deal" promotion), and they're definitely a bit more flashy than anything you'd find in Premiere Pro natively. I don't often need these kinds of things, but in pinch (and for the price), they'll work fine.

• 18. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                          lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Colin. I also am not crazy about their interface. I did download a demo a while ago. I found the rendering was painfully slow. When I asked the developer why this was so, he said since the plug works in 5 different NLEs. It wasnt really optimized for use with PrP. Has this been your expereince as well? I think of all the choices New Blue is the closest to what I was looking for. I only wish they did a price reduction for all their blend plugins and I might be tempted to invest. I appreciate the heads up!

• 19. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I haven't used them for anything "real" yet (and I'm on Windows, I should mention), but in general, they seemed pretty fast. I've got the Light Blends kit--glows, blooms, flares, etc.--so if anything, I'd guess that those would be the most render-intensive of any. Could they be better optimized? I don't doubt it... maybe encouraging them to do so would help. As it is, at least for transitions, you should be talking about a relatively minor render hit, since you're not transitioning all the time (or maybe you are!).

I only wish they did a price reduction for all their blend plugins and I might be tempted to invest.

**whistlewhistle** NewBlueFX - Master Effects Suite :: Digital Juice **whistlewhistle**

• 20. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                              lasvideo Level 4

That Digital Juice offer would have been a good deal. But I am interested in the Light Blends which are transitions (not light Effects which are filters). Had it been a boxed set for all 4 blend plugins I would have been tempted. When I tried the demo, using a light blend transition for 30 frames took about a minute to render, and I could not preview it without rendering it. That reduced my initial enthusiasm for the product. But its the closest around at the moment. Thanks again.

• 21. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Whoops

Too bad you didn't "get the memo" last week; Light Blends was $40 As it is, I know they have sales all the time, where if you buy one kit you get another for a pretty steep discount. But, at the end of the day, if they're dog-slow, that's not much of a deal.

• 22. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                  lasvideo Level 4

You make a good point about the whole rendering speed issue. I think I just have to accept this as a small limitation and utilize my work around of manually build the transitions by dynamically linking to AE then using FX Factory. What it lacks in speed it more than makes up with coolness.

• 23. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                    Tofkan11 Level 1

Thanks for all the feedback. Some very usefull comments. Typically I do not use many transition fx however, I've been editing a wedding video (not shot by me) which required combining video footage plus about 100 photos. After reviewing the suggestions here, I downloaded & tried both Pixelan Spicemaster & Prodad Vitascene and they both had exactly the kind of schmaltzy stuff I was looking for.

HOWEVER I noticed something weird. At the start of a transition, the outgoing clip gets slightly soft/blurry (before it disappears). Same thing on the incoming clip at the end of the transition. Even after rendering. I'm working on a system I just finished building and using Ppro 5.1 trial version Win64bit.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

• 24. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                      At the start of a transition, the outgoing clip gets slightly soft/blurry (before it disappears).

What transition(s) are you referring to? Do you have Playback Resolution set to Full?

• 25. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                        lasvideo Level 4

UPDATE

For a large library of sophisticated transitions that you can CUSTOMIZE, try Boris Red 5.0 The PC version is out, with the Mac version out in the near future. Their control panels give you lots of choices. The perfect addition for editors that have not been happy with what Adobe or other third party vendors have been offering them.

• 26. Re: Transition Plug-ins
                                                          Jaap H Level 1

You can always get Transition Pack 1 by FilmImpact.net

They are absolutely amazing.