4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 8:00 AM by Eric Marlow

Reader X does not show text correctly and is too slow for everyday use

Eric Marlow

I was happily using Reader 8 when I was forced to upgrade to Reader X by HMRC in order to use their iXBRL online filing software. I could have gone to v 9.2 but chose to go straight to X.

There are 3 problems:

1.  Reader X does not display or print text correctly. For example the Royal Mail "Social Redirection Form" - eg see errors on page 2 top part. The pdf displays fine in other pdf viewers. Is there a way to correct this?

2.  Reader X installation deleted my existing Reader 8 program. Is there any way to have the 2 versions on one PC, or do I need to run 2 PC's to have both?

3.  Reader X is too slow to start up and close down for everyday use. I need to be able to view pdf's and close down again quickly. Is there any way to correct this, or do I need to go back to Reader 8 again on my main PC?

Alternatively, would I be better off deleting Reader X and trying v 9.2 instead?

If anyone has the answers to the above questions I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

• 1. Re: Reader X does not show text correctly and is too slow for everyday use
          ibyk30

no solution but i have same problem. i removed X and currently use 9.4.

• 2. Re: Reader X does not show text correctly and is too slow for everyday use
            370H55V Level 4

You cannot under any circumstances, run two different versions of Reader on the same PC. Acrobat and Reader, yes, but not both Reader.

If your system runs Reader X slow, it may be a sign of a bigger problem.

I am currently running a four year old e-machine with Win 7 and Reader X. It runs perfectly. I have two gigs of PC5300 DDRAM, but it's still a Sempron processor, single core and 32 bit.

I also have an ASUS EeePC netbook with a gig of RAM and Reader X runs as fast as 8 or 9 ever did. That's XP and an ATOM processor.

If Reader X will perform well on these two machines, I seriously doubt the problem is Adobe on your system. If Reader X is giving you problems, by all means go back to 9 or even 8, but be aware that the problem is likely in your OS or hardware, and you will see problems with more software over time.

As new versions of Reader come out (and I can say this from personal experience) there are going to be compatibility issues with older fonts in documents and webpages.While you can control the fonts on your own system, unfortunately you're at the mercy of older websites and their documents.

• 3. Re: Reader X does not show text correctly and is too slow for everyday use
              mzuniga55415

Eric, Our organization has a similar problem to your first problem. 

We have 10 people in our office.  Most of us use Windows 7 and Adobe Reader X. 

When other people print PDFs with Reader X, the documents will either have missing words and paragraphs or will have changes to the text (i.e. make the text bold or make it smaller).  It's not a problem with the our computers or printer because it's happening on differnt types of computers and printers. 

I'm the only one in the office that has Adobe Acrobat Professional, and Acrobat Professional does not have this problem.  Since I don't have this problem, everyone asks me to print their PDFs.  It gets a little frustrating and is an inefficient use of my time.

Adobe Systems Inc., please look it this Reader X issue and create an update.  Thanks. 

• 4. Re: Reader X does not show text correctly and is too slow for everyday use
                Eric Marlow Level 1

Dear Mzuniga,

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with issues using Reader X.

My solution - I no longer use Adobe for general use. I use pdf Xchange Viewer instead. It's an old free version, but it works for me, and I can add text to pdf's before printing, which is very useful for government forms etc. It can also co-exist with Adobe X, which I need a few times a year for submitting tax returns.

Regards,

Eric