14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 6:41 AM by John Hawkinson

Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Bede Academy

I have had problems loading the CS5 suite with a network user using a mandatory profile.

I have finally get InDesign working for the most part by renaming file extensions on certain plug-ins. However when I try to load the program there is still an error message that appears:

InDesign.jpg

When I hit OK to this message the program still loads OK.

Please advise how to rid of this message. Public.dll is located in  Renaming Public.dll to public.dll.old prevents the program from load so it must be an essential file.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

EDIT:

I have visited the following posts and have not helped but they are near enough the same problems I am having.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/391755#3692165

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2873262#2873262

I also delete the user I am testing with delprof to stimulate the user logging on a new machine (this means profile cache fixes will not work here but still willing to try).

Message was edited by: Bede Academy

• 1. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What exactly do you mean by "a network user using a mandatory profile"?

Are you saying that your users' profiles are located on a server, rather than the machine they log onto? I'm not sure ID can handle that, at least not the standard version (never used the server version), but that doesn't mean it's impossible, just that I suspect it is. One of our users with a large network and lots of stations may know for sure.

Renaming program components is almost certainly NOT a good idea.

• 2. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
            Bede Academy Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for taking interest.

Our users with the issue are student users (do not have local admin rights) and have a profile path in AD set to a mandatory profile located on the network.

The way this works however, the profile is cached locally to the machine. This profile has an NTUSER.man file rather than an NTUSER.DAT file. This means the profile cannot be modified even though it is copied locally.

Renaming (disabling) some plug-ins was a requirement to get InDesign to load. If these changes were not done a windows error report would appear.

Here are the plug-ins I changed.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\Plug-Ins\UI\csxs.apln to csxs.apln.old

From a CS4 version of InDesign replace this file:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS4\required\support for javascript.rpln > C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5\required\support for javascript.rpln

I kept the CS5 version of "support for javascript.rpln" by changing the extension to .old

These plugin solutions were found elsewhere on this forum but I cant recall where I found them. However it does make the program launch with a user with a mandatory profile.

Thanks again,

Kyle

• 3. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Well, I don't normall install on networks, so take what I say with a large dose of salt, but I don't think this is going to work.

I've helped set up ID on machines at the local commuity college, though. They use Deep Freeze and reset everything nightly or at reboot, whichever comes first, but users do have admin priveleges on all machines. In general, though, they can't actually do any sort of install because the reboot kills it. I don't know the details of how they do user profiles -- each student has a private folder for storage of documents on a server, but a new profile is created locally for each user when they log on, based on a copy of the default user.

The way we set up the machines I worked with was to install the program and customize it using the default user while the machine was in an unlocked state. At that point the machine was restarted (working from memory, here) and two additional accounts were created specifically for the editor and staff layout artists on the school paper, and additional tweaking added. Once finished, the machine was locked down, imaged, and the image propagated to other workstations.

Logging in as editor or the other special account gets the fully customized version, including the custom workspace, scripts, etc, but logging on with any other ID generates a new user based on the default. That user can go ahead and customize, and it will stick, but only until reboot or midnight, whichever comes first. This may not be ideal, but it does work. When things need to be changed, I unlock the machine and make the changes in the local user profiles, then lock them up again.

• 4. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                Bede Academy Level 1

Thanks for information Peter.

Deep freeze sounds almost like a thin client technology adapted for normal machines (some kind of write filter) however I doubt this would be good addition to the way we have things setup.

I have tested it again with different users. A local admin user and a domain admin (with no profile). Unfortunately this error occurs for ALL users now. I could revert to a default install, though I will need to start another thread to fix the loading issues I was having for students with a mandatory profile.

I will await further replies before starting again as I fear I would end up hitting the same wall again.

Kyle

• 5. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found

I'm afraid I can't offer a lot more other, perhps, than contact info for the IT folk I worked with and this for Deep Freeze: http://www.faronics.com/enterprise/deep-freeze/

• 6. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

I don't have any direct experience with InDesign and AD, but I suspect you are not going about this correctly. You should not have to remove required plugins from InDesign, and I would not be surprised if removing the Javascript plugin breaks something horribly, because some internal functions are written in JavaScript.

Is InDesign installed locally or on the network? I realize the user is a network user...

I think that error message is telling you that Public.dll is depending on the Javascript RPLN.

• 7. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                      Bede Academy Level 1

Hi John,

I understand what you are saying with the javascript plugin that is why I got it to work by using version CS4 of the file. I have swapped it back to the CS5 version of the file but a Windows error report appears, in the details "mod name: support for javascript.rpln" for the restricted user with a mandatory profile. Tested with a domain admin however and the program loaded Ok so it would seem that is the problem we are dealing with.

Screenshot of problem below:

InDesignWindowsError.jpg

InDesign in installed locally onto the computer on the C:\ drive. I have updated with this patch:

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/indesign/win/cs5/AdobeInDesign7_0_3_Patch-All.zip

I have also updated this file:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/845/cpsid_84586/attachments/AdobeNotificationsDllFieldReplacement Tool.zipKyle

• 8. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Err, why aren't you running 7.0.4, the current version?

You could look at "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\DRWTSN32.LOG" and find the crash from InDesign and look at the Stack Back Trace section for more information...

• 9. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                          Bede Academy Level 1

I have installed the latest update onto the machine and I am still getting the Support for Java.rpln error.

I am tempted to start a new thread about this issue since it is not directly related to the previous problem.

I do not have a Dr Watson directory in the path you mentioned. I have also looked under the users area for the Dr Watson Files.

However here is a copy of the eventviewer log

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 11/07/2011

Time: 12:46:41

User: N/A

Computer: IMAGEF2

Description:

Faulting application indesign.exe, version 7.0.4.553, faulting module support for javascript.rpln, version 7.0.0.355, fault address 0x00036183.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 6e 64   ure  ind

0018: 65 73 69 67 6e 2e 65 78   esign.ex

0020: 65 20 37 2e 30 2e 34 2e   e 7.0.4.

0028: 35 35 33 20 69 6e 20 73   553 in s

0030: 75 70 70 6f 72 74 20 66   upport f

0038: 6f 72 20 6a 61 76 61 73   or javas

0040: 63 72 69 70 74 2e 72 70   cript.rp

0048: 6c 6e 20 37 2e 30 2e 30   ln 7.0.0

0050: 2e 33 35 35 20 61 74 20   .355 at

0058: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30   offset 0

0060: 30 30 33 36 31 38 33 0d   0036183.

0068: 0a                        .      

Any help would be appreciated.

• 10. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

It looks like the same problem to me, but feel free to start a new thread.

What version of Windows are you running?

It looks to me like you are probably in over your head, I'm afraid I can't help with Windows problems at this level. Perhaps you'll need to consult Adobe support or maybe some consultants. Sorry.

You might find

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/csharpgeneral/thread/64553a40-d320-492d-bec3-5b bf00d19174

to be relevant on the topic of Dr. Watson log files, but I suspect if you weren't sure how to interpret them before, this advice is not useful.

Sorry again.

• 11. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Do you have a font manager installed, by any chance?

• 12. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                                Bede Academy Level 1

Hi John,

I have Windows XP SP3 (32Bit) installed with drivers at most a month old (where possible)

Unfortunately I understand this is a very technical problem but I had problems getting any real answers from the adobe phone support (they also want me to upgrade to a support package to provide further assistance).

As for Dr watson I have searched on the local hard drive for the name of the log file and failed to find it.

Thanks for your help so far. Any ideas are welcome.

Kyle

• 13. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                                  Bede Academy Level 1

Hi Peter,

I have installed all of the optional components in my Design Standard CS5 installation but I cannot find "Font manager". Can you please advise where this might be or where I can install it.

Thanks again for helping so far.

Kyle

• 14. Re: Font Capture: InDesign.exe - Entry Point Not Found
                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

The path I gave you should work under Windows XP. If it doesn't,

then you have a tricky problem.

I think you certainly need an Adobe support package for this level of

problem. Given that it is only $40 for a single incident, I would think

that would be an easy decision.

Peter is referring to a piece of 3rd party software used to manage fonts,

such as Extensis Suitcase Fusion.

Best of luck.