19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 10:05 PM by Keith Moreau

trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern

ozeditryn1

I have downloaded the trial and so far it has crashed non stop. I am running a macbookpro 15 inch with an i7 processor with 4 gig of ram. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. My trial is running out and so far my experience has been that premiere is unreliable. I love final cut but x is useless and I want to switch. Could my laptop just not be up to it ?

I have tried Pro Res files and H.264 files in separate projects and so far all I get in the spinning beach ball and the program hangs.

• 1. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Yeah, your system is way underspecc'd. You'd need a much faster system to reliably work with HD video in Premiere. I, and many others here, can vouch that, when paired with the right hardware, Premiere is not only stable, but fast, too. Get a better system and enjoy!

• 2. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Could my laptop just not be up to it ?

Yeah, that is a very likely possibility. All MBP's do not meet minimum requirements. One of the most important ones is a dedicated 7200 RPM SATA disk.

• 3. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
              ozeditryn1 Level 1

My hard drive is 7200 rpm, been editing with final cut pro 6 for the last year, before that we used a g5 quad tower but the macbook pro was way faster. Re the specs I don't see how my i7 laptop isn't up to editing with Premiere, I have 4 gig of ram when the minimum required is 2gb I have more than enough hard drive space available the Nvidia graphics card I have is an openGL 2.0–compatible graphics card.

Where is the problem ? is it lack of virtual ram ? I find it strange that Premiere Pro won't work on such a powerful laptop ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 4. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                Harm Millaard Level 7

This laptop is not powerful, because it  lacks 2 physically separate 7200 RPM SATA disks, it lacks eSATA connectors to compensate for a second internal disk, it has only 4 GB when PR really would like 12+ GB, it lacks a MPE capable video card and to top it off it uses OS-X which is lousy in multi-threading and it does not have support for a BR burner,

Apart from all these glaring omissions, there are two other things to be said in favor of a MBP, it looks nice and costs a lot. Whether you consider these advantages will differ from person to person.

Have a look here: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

• 5. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                  ozeditryn1 Level 1

Please don't bother responding if your advice is just snide mac bashing I'm not interested in a pc vs mac debate. I know premiere will run on MBPros but I need to know what is the best card, which seems to be the problem. Your advice contradicts the spec requirements on the adobe page. Any mac users here that can offer me advice ? Our agency is mac based so we need to stay with the platform. Adobe Premiere seems to be the direction most fcp users are heading in - I've been editing fcp for ten years - linear before that so the change is annoying but even more so if it includes having to get a desktop machine to drive my editing software again. I produce documentaries so we are on the road a lot of the time and a laptop is preferable. We mostly work with AVC intra ( shooting with a 3700 pana ) and some 5d work.

• 6. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This is not about MAC versus PC, it is about the severely lacking specs of the notebook. As simple as that. If it were a PC notebook, the same limitations would apply, lack of disk I/O, lack of memory, lack of a MPE capable video card, etc. Only in your case this is aggravated by OS-X, but that is all. The basic ingredients are missing for a nice editing experience.

• 7. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the "beauties" of working in FCP on a less powerful machine is that one is working with an intermediate CODEC for the file. This requires less power.

One of the "beauties" of PrPro is that it edits the footage natively, though at the expense of needing more power.

It is a series of trade-offs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I'd add that one of the issues with comparing your laptop to Adobe's minimum

specs are that those specs are truly minimum... they're what you need to get

the program to start and choke along, maybe. To actually edit with any sort

of ease and stability, you need something far more powerful than their

"minimum specs." It's something many companies do, and I would wish that

Adobe would post the specs to use the program well, not just barely get it

started...

• 9. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Even on a relatively weak machine (that still meets the minimums system requirements for running), crashing shouldn't be occurring.

Tell us more about what you're doing when these crashes occur.

> I have tried Pro Res files and H.264 files in separate projects and so far all I get in the spinning beach ball and the program hangs.

Is this what you mean by "crashes". We'd normally use the word "hang" here, not "crash". Grnated, neither is good, but knowing what you're referring to will help us to figure out what's causing it. Crashing and hanging are different symptoms and are usually related to different underlying causes.

Tell us as much as you can about what you're doing when the hangs occur. Is it at startup? Is it after a specific action? Does it happen with trivially simple projects (say, one with just color bars)? Or only when using certain footage types?

What OS?

Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

• 10. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                            ozeditryn1 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, avc intra seems to import fine and I can edit with it but importing pro res hq or h.264 from a dslr results in a program hang which I have to force quit.

I am running 10.6.7 osx

Could a corrupt file directory cause this? What about a graphics card issue?

I know a laptop isn't ideal but I would have thought an i7 with a 7200 rpm drive and 4gig would have been fast enough.

We are planning on moving back to a tower in the next six months but I was going to move to premiere now.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Is it just files in QuickTime wrappers that are causing the problem?

See this page for troubleshooting steps regarding QuickTime. (I wrote that for After Effects, but it's all relevant to Premiere Pro, too.)

• 12. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                ozeditryn1 Level 1

The problem is still occuring, we the directory and deleted all caches, Premiere still crashes and hangs. I can import shots and then move one to the timeline then the program hangs.

I am getting the hardware checked out by a tech to see if that is the culprit but it passed all software diagnosis. FInal cut 6 is rock solid on this computer editing pro res but premiere crashes non stop. I want the speed of premiere but so far it seems very unstable on my computer.

• 13. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                  hoverboy50

Ignore the previous less-than-helpful remarks. Some people just can't miss an opportunity to have a rant.

Persevere with PrePro as I'm currently running it on a 17" MBP with a SINGLE 7200 rpm HDD and 4 gig RAM.  It runs very smoothly and has no crashes or hangs.  Corrupted files and/or folders could be the culprit as I'm sure I've heard of others running this setup with no problems.  If I find any useful links I'll let you know.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                    tclark513 Level 3

Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.  Crashing usually is a sign of a bad driver.

• 15. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                      ozeditryn1 Level 1

all software and drivers have been checked, the clip icons in premiere appear distorted. I am getting a hardware check done. It might be my graphics card. I'll update when I know in case anyone else has this issue. Is it possible to extend the trial period, so far because of these issues my experience with premiere hasn't been great but I am keen to give it a proper try. I still think it is the logical path forward for final cut pro users.

• 16. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                        ozeditryn1 Level 1

Here is an update, I had the macbook pro checked by a tech all hardware is fine, drivers all ok. I reinstalled premiere and nothing has changed. It seems my macbook pro i7 with 4 gig of ram and a 7200 rpm drive with esata can not run premiere !

I have tried importing 720 p dslr footage and after doing a couple of edits the software hangs until I force quit it. My trial of this software is almost at an end and so far I am not convinced that this is the way for me. FCP worked flawlessly on this macbook pro - I even edited two documentaries that were broadcast - shot in 1080p avc intra.

I hate to say it but this experience reminds me of using premiere ten years ago on a pc and is why I went to fcp and osx. The new fcp is terrible so I thought premiere was the way to go but I think I need to look at moving back to a tower but that doesn't help with an on the road situation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know premiere is a good program but it is very frustrating that I can not get it to work on this laptop.

• 17. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Disappointing that Apple techs couldn't find something wrong with it. I

haven't any idea why it's not working, but I can tell you for sure that your

experiences are not the norm. Hang in there and keep posting to the forum

here and someone may yet be able to help you fix the problem.

• 18. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                            ozeditryn1 Level 1

I reinstalled the system and added an extra 4 gig of ram. I now have 8 gig of ram and all my hardware has been checked out and still premiere crashes on my mac. I have two days left on my trial and so far I am at a complete loss. The icon view looks distorted in premiere with all formats of video - p2 and mp4. I can edit (without icon view) and it hangs after about ten seconds. Final cut pro 6 works flawlessly on this system so despite it being 32 bit and slow by comparison it looks like that's what I am going to stick with. If anyone has had a similar experience and found a solution please let me know, I am downloading an avid trial but I'd really like to move forward with cs5.5.

• 19. Re: trying Premiere but constant crashing is a concern
                                              Keith Moreau Level 1

Have you tried going up the Adobe Tech support route, apparently they can be good. Have you tried creating a brand new test user on your Mac? This is sometimes good for finding out if something running for your main user is causing the problem, and is a good way to troubleshoot Mac problems in general. Make sure to check your kernel extensions to make sure you don't have something loaded that Premiere Pro doesn't like I actually went through a thorough housecleaning of my system when I went to PPro and Snow Leopard, and there was a lot of stuff that had built up over the years. I also made sure that I was running in 64 bit kernel mode, which means you have to have all 64 bit kernel extensions. This isn't supposed to matter but almost all kernel extensions are now 64 bit so upgrading them is a good idea. Also any possible startup items, or quicktime plugins such as Perian might cause problems.

When you have a crash you should save the crash report screen log and you can use this to send to Adobe, it might have a clue where the problem is occurring.

Does the problem just happen with a particular sequence? I've found problems with a particular bit of media that PPro doesn't like, like very large res stills. PPro also does occasionally crash for me just like FCP and all other apps that use hardware a lot. I had a major problem with 'clipwrapped' AVCHD files. PPro hates them. These are .MTS files that I wrap in a Quicktime wrapper to get other Quicktime utilities to see them (such as Final cut pro). I could import them into PPro, but when I tried to play them everything would freeze to the point where it was unusable and I usually force quit PPro.

I've also started to use a piece of software called "Cocktail" which has the ability to delete 'system cache' files that can sometimes cause problems with Premiere Pro. System cache files are automatically regenerated after, but purging them can often help.

There are also threads about permissions issues with Premiere for whatever reason not being able to write files it likes to write into particular directories. If you are an 'Admin' user it usually doesn't happen, but enabling that admin as "root" could help as well.

Use Directory Utility to enable the root user. There might be other threads on this subject in this forum on on the Creative Cow forums.

Try using an external HD for your media. If you are using an internal HD as a system disk and media it is also a potential problem.

Good luck, I think your hardware is good enough to have an adequate experience with Premiere Pro.