30 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2011 11:43 AM by glosstud

PP cs5 wont import mts sound track

cjacs987654 Level 1

On my machine I have a full  licenced copy of Master Colelction CS5 and a trail version (within 30 days) of Production premium cs5.5

If i import a avchd file in MTS format into prem pro cs5, the sound track does not show in the import bin properties etc . Also, if I drag to timeline only the video shows - no audio

This file plays fine (audio and video) in other media players such as VLC and windows media so the file itself is ok

Any clues anyone as to what I should be looking at?

I have imported other files ok, such as .MOV and they are fine

I know cs5.5  trail has certain limitations, I am hoping the install of cs5.5 trial has not messed up my cs5 install

Regards

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Both CS5 and CS5.5 will happily coexist on the same system. The only limitation of the trial version of CS5.5 is the time, there are no other limitations. Something must have messed up your installation. The other thing could be that your audio is using LPCM or some other weird format.

• 2. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Where exactly did you get these clips?

• 3. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Open one of the problem MTS files in MediaInfo, and look closely at the Audio Stream in it. What are the specs.?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Jim

From my Canon HG21 avchd camcorder. I forgot to mention, I had no problem with these files

before I installed cs5.5 trial - so if its not adobe, something must of upset the apple cart.

Thanks for your reply

Chris Anderson

• 5. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                  cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Bill

Great little utility - thanks for that

Audio
                  ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
                  Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
                  Format                           : AC-3
                  Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
                  Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
                  Codec ID                         : 129
                  Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                  Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
                  Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                  Channel positions                : Front: L R
                  Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                  Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                  Compression mode                 : Lossy
                  Delay relative to video          : -80ms

Regards

Chris

• 6. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Chris,

These files should be totally workable in both CS5 (licensed version) and CS5.5 (trial and licensed). When you say that there is no audio, do you mean that the clips import as video-only, or do they import as video and audio, but you can't hear it on playback?

• 7. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                      cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for your reply

When I import them, just video ie no audio settings show. When I drag to timeline only the video track is populated

I have even created a sequence by dragging the file over the new sequence icon to match settings etc

The file plays back on the camera no problems

Regards

Chris

• 8. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

That's really bizarre. I've really never known Premiere Pro--or any other Adobe product, for that matter--to mess with another application's ability to do this or that. I know you said this happened around the time or as a result of installing CS5.5, but was there anything else that you did/updated/installed in the interim?

• 9. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                          cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for your continued help

Not that i am aware.

Since last post I have imported another mts file that I recorded some time ago from the same camera, and that works fine!!!

Now im really confused.

Chris

• 10. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, find the CFA/PEK files that are associated with the original clips, and trash them--do this with PPro closed. When you reopen the project, the files will be regenerated; all should be well then.

• 11. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                              kevtra11

I'm having this exact same problem with same Canon AVCHD camera clips or any other file format. I have no audio track when I drag the clip to the timeline. I have the trial version of the master suite installed. Where do I find the CFA/PEK files?

Thanks for any help, Kevin

• 12. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                kevtra11 Level 1

I have an update to this problem I would like to share.

I ran across this link that solves this.       http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-4009.htm

Turned out to be a simple solution.

Thanks, Kevin

• 13. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                  cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Kevin

what are cfa/pek files please?

Chris

• 14. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                    cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply, but this doesnt work for me, as the file when imported into the bin area does not show any audio properties.

I double checked by dragging to the timeline like the video link you sent, but it is not there

Regards

Chris

• 15. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                      cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for your continued help

What are CFA/PEK files and where are they stored. I cant find them on my PC anywhere. However, i have created a brand new project

and imported the mts file, and still no audio.

The MTS file came from my camcorder, should the cfa/pek files be associated with that?? because only the mts file is on my cameras

hard drive.

Regards

Chris

• 16. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

CFA is conformed audio and PEK are waveform peak files. Both are in your media cache as setup in your preferences.

• 17. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                          cjacs987654 Level 1

Harm/Colin

Thanks for yoru replies.

I did this:

1. Exit prem pro app

2. Went to the disk cache folder - there was no cfa/pek file for the clip involved (there were for other files)

3. Deleted all cache files for this clip and all other clips

4. Started up Prem pro, new project - accepted defaults ie avchd 1920x1080 etc

5. Imported the clip involved

6. problem still exists - checked the cache folder - NO cpa/pek files exist

7. Imported mp4 file - audio showed ok no problem

8. Checked cache folder for this mp4 and cpa/pek files DO exist

So obvoiusly PP is not creating the cpa/tek files for the .mts file

I have now uninstalled the trial cs5.5 production premium, but it makes no difference. I havent yet re-installed cs5 master collection

I would welcome Todd or anyone else from Adobe looking at this please

Regards

Chris Anderson

• 18. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Chris,

What sounds like is happening is that the media cache database has gotten clogged up; that's what tracks the media cache files that are generated for a particular piece of media. Let's try this:

Take the problematic MTS file(s) temporarily offline; you can do this simply by changing the name of the folder that the clips are in. (Optional, but I'd suggest this) In your OS file browser, search for all CFA and PEK files and delete them. On Windows 7, at least, you can type (without quotes) "cfa OR pek" into the Explorer search bar at the root of your drives, and you'll find all CFA and PEK files; you can select them all and trash them. If you're on a Mac, I'll assume you know how to search and delete there. Yes, this will force Premiere Pro to regenerate all CFA and PEK files for any project and media you open, but we need to purge the system here to try to get back to square one. This may not be absolutely necessary, but I'd really recommend doing it.

Create a fresh PPro project, and then go to Edit > Preferences > Media, and under the "Media Cache Database" section, click the "Clean" button. This may take a few moments or minutes, depending on how large the MCDB is. Once it is complete, close Premiere Pro. Put your "broken" media back online (e.g. change the name of your folder back to what it was), and then try a new project and import the previously broken media into it. How goes it at this point?

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                              cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin,

Really appreciate your help

I followed those steps 1 by 1, and the same problem exists. I then went on to remove all files in my cache directory - absolutely everything - created

a new project - import - no joy

Regards

Chris

• 20. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                cjacs987654 Level 1

Update for everyone.

I recorded a new clip on the same camcorder, no change in settings ie 1920x1080 25p avchd

IMported this file and that one is ok, so it seems it is something to do with the specific clip.

However it plays fine in windows media and VLC media player

so im baffled.....

Chris

• 21. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Chris,

Let's try one last brute force technique...

By default, your Media Cache Database should be in something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common, but confirm this by going to Preferences > Media in PPro. Close Premiere Pro. In Explorer, navigate to that folder, and move all the .mcdb files that are there (there are probably a lot of them, but they're small) to another location on your drive--just cut and paste them.

Now, relaunch Premiere Pro and reopen the project with the troublesome media; at this point, everything is going to be reconformed/reindexed, and new Media Cache DB entries will be generated. Anything?

• 22. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                    cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Nope! - i made sure all cache files were gone, just an empty directory then relaunched pp.

When i add the 'good' file, the cfa/pek files are generated ok

Below is the info from mediainfo for the 'good' file and the 'bad' file. First the bad file:

Odd - note the 'duration' field, shows on good file but not bad file??

Chris

General
                                                    ID                               : 0 (0x0)
                                                    Complete name                    : V:\Source Material\Source Footage\Test Footage\Test audio xx\HG21.MTS
                                                    Format                           : BDAV
                                                    Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
                                                    File size                        : 198 MiB
                                                    Overall bit rate                 : -23214266604056551000
                                                    Maximum Overall bit rate         : 24.0 Mbps

Video
                                                    ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
                                                    Format                           : AVC
                                                    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                                                    Format profile                   : High@L4.0
                                                    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
                                                    Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
                                                    Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=24
                                                    Codec ID                         : 27
                                                    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                                    Maximum bit rate                 : 22.7 Mbps
                                                    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                                    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                                    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                                    Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
                                                    Color space                      : YUV
                                                    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                                    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                                    Scan type                        : Interlaced
                                                    Scan order                       : Top Field First

Audio

now the 'good file'

General
                                                    ID                               : 0 (0x0)
                                                    Complete name                    : E:\00094.MTS
                                                    Format                           : BDAV
                                                    Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
                                                    File size                        : 20.1 MiB
                                                    Duration                         : 7s 110ms
                                                    Overall bit rate                 : 23.5 Mbps
                                                    Maximum Overall bit rate         : 24.0 Mbps

Video
                                                    ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
                                                    Format                           : AVC
                                                    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                                                    Format profile                   : High@L4.0
                                                    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
                                                    Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
                                                    Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=24
                                                    Codec ID                         : 27
                                                    Duration                         : 7s 120ms
                                                    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                                    Bit rate                         : 22.3 Mbps
                                                    Maximum bit rate                 : 22.7 Mbps
                                                    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                                    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                                    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                                    Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
                                                    Color space                      : YUV
                                                    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                                    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                                    Scan type                        : Interlaced
                                                    Scan order                       : Top Field First
                                                    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.431
                                                    Stream size                      : 18.9 MiB (94%)

Audio
                                                    Duration                         : 7s 200ms
                                                    Stream size                      : 225 KiB (1%)

• 23. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Heh. Check out the Overall Bit Rate field for the bad file...

That's a sure sign of a damaged file, and if this worked before, that means Premiere screwed it up. I've had it happen. What probably happened is that Premiere tried to write XMP data to this file and borked it; Premiere isn't supposed to (or at least in my experience, isn't able to) write XMP to an MTS file.

Sounds weird, but try opening the broken MTS file in a text editor; I like Notepad++ for such things. Head down to the end/bottom of the file; everything will be gibberish, but you might see some human-readable text/XML at the bottom. Let me know if you do.

• 24. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                        cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin,

No text.html, just usual 'jibberish'

If adobe has mucked it up, dont forget it still is ok in windows media player!!

Anyway, you have spent a lot of time on this, at least I know it is file specific so hopefully it wont happen again

Would be 'nice' to know from adobe if they do change the file at any time, i would of thought not.

Anyone ffrom adobe .......?

Thanks

Chris

• 25. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Hey Chris,

I took a look at the sample files you uploaded--pretty interesting. The faulty file appears to be missing large chunks of data, which is effectively breaking it. I was able to import it into Premiere Pro, with audio, but have a look at this:

mts-test.png

We know the duration of the original file is correct--but the faulty one is not correct. I tried demuxing the faulty file and putting it back together again, but as you can see, the "fixed" file shows the exact same duration. This suggests that it wasn't just a problem with the container, but the streams themselves are damaged beyond repair. I'm not sure why I was able to get audio but you weren't, but it's sort of immaterial--the file wouldn't have been usable, anyway.

Interestingly, the faulty file will playback in WMP and VLC--partially. Both will only play up to about the 31 second mark, and then stop. So, there's a lot broken here.

At this point, I don't think that it would be possible for Premiere Pro to do this kind of damage to the file. I've honestly never seen anything like it. It's almost like you have some bad sectors on your hard drive! That's the only explanation I can come up with at this point; if it was a bad file copy process or similar, the file would not have the exact same file size as the original file. It would sort of explain why the file was working, and then all of a sudden did not. There's just no way that I conceive the Premiere would have essentially erased a large portion of this file.

So, ultimately, I would chalk this up to a weird fluke, and suggest that you scan your hard drive! If nothing else, this underscores the importance of backing up your original media, just in case something happens...

Anyway, I hope that you have nothing but smooth sailing beyond this point! And backup early, backup often

• 26. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                            cjacs987654 Level 1

Colin

Many thanks for all your time on this - much appreciated. I wil take a look at my hard drive, but i do maintain it quite regular.

I also have a rigous backup system thankfully.

Still cant understand why it plays audio on your system but not mine, but as you say the file is damaged in places. When i said

in the forum earlier that the file played in windows media and vlc, I had not played it 100% - I assumed if it played at all the file

would be fine - something learnt there!

What is demuxing?

Promise i wont take any more of your time!

Regards

Chris

• 27. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Chris,

The hard drive is just a possibility; I'm at a loss as to explain the damage that was done to the file. Obviously, keep an eye out for similar behavior. As mentioned, I don't think that Premiere Pro would be responsible for whatever happened to this file, but if you see it happen again, it's certainly something to report. For now, I think it's safe to consider this an isolated incident, but in case it is a hardware issue, you'll want to take precautions.

Not sure why the audio came through, but I suspect it has something to do with the Media Cache files and the Media Cache Database. Since my computer never had a "record" of this file, Premiere Pro knew to generate a fresh CFA file. Again, this is only a guess, but since the file was so damaged (and you fortunately had a backup, if you needed it), you're really not losing out on much.

Demuxing is shorthand for "demultiplexing." When you multiplex or "mux," you're creating a single playable media file from "raw" streams of audio, video, and data, and packaging them into a container file format that can be handled by various players or editors. When you demultiplex, you're essentially reversing the process: you're unpacking the "box" and putting the contents out on your desk. If the streams are good but the container was bad, you can put the streams back in a new container (often called "remuxing") and usually play the file back. In the case of this file, however, the streams themselves are damaged beyond repair, so remuxing wasn't working. That's the reason that the "fixed" file showed the exact same duration as the faulty file.

Ordinarily, this is not anything you'd have to do on a regular basis--it's sort of a last ditch effort to fix something broken. However, remuxing can be really useful when you have a file that is fine but won't play back on the host system; for example, I've been helping a few folks lately who have Apple HDV MOVs on a Windows machine (they won't play) by rewrapping them into new containers. The new files work fine then, without any re-encoding of the original video and audio streams! It's fun but extraordinarily geeky stuff

Don't be worried about asking questions--we're all here to help! Good luck!

Colin

• 28. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                                Mr. MatuskeY

I'm using CS5.5 and have been reading forums and trying all of the various suggestions(re-linking the media; replacing the media; restarting; resaving; moving all files then edit undo) and just wanted to let everyone know that going into the cache files and deleting everything so that Premiere would have to re-generate the media WORKED! WOOOHOOO!  Hope anyone else that has this problem resloves it.  Consider it.  Delte your cache.  Someone suggested making sure that Premiere is closed before deleting, that's what I did.  Wondering if this will work for my dynamic link to adobe after Effects too, the media keeps going offline after restarting the software.  We'll see.  Thanks for the help everyone.

BrYan

• 29. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                                  OnTwoWheels77

PP CS5.5.  I too suffered from mts files without sound after importing.  Since the mts file plays perfectly outside of PP, then the problem is PP and its importing of files.  I imported numerous mts files all at once and a few came through without sound.  I simply renamed the "broken" original mts file by adding an underscore and number to the original file (xxxx_01).  I imported the renamed file by itself and the import was successful.  I then deleted any "broken" files I had previously imported.  It looks to me like PP is having an issue with batch importation of files....  Hope this helps someone. 

• 30. Re: PP cs5 wont import mts sound track
                                                                    glosstud Level 1

Hi, sorry but i have not read all the threads on this but this is what i do when importing mts files. I do not do it from PP instead I connect to vid cam on usb and drag n drop the files into a new folder usually on desktop. Then when they are ready I then drag and drop them into PP. This works for me but may be a backward way of doing things but at least I know I have taken a potentially problematic equation out of the loop by keeping things simple as the audio files remain linked to the video files.

Again sorry for maybe being a bit misunderstood as not had time to read other posts as have issues of my own, so my input may be useless but if it works then great.

Dave.