2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 9:15 AM by MrMasterKey

CS4 (6.0.6) Hyphenation and Dictionary questions

MrMasterKey

Hello Adobe Support,

I would like to know the following:

1. I am getting the infamous hyphenation error on document startup, and would like to have a clear and concise answer as to what to do in order to have hyphenation enabled again and this error removed. If the error pops up, there must be a reason for it, and that means a clear fix ought to be available.

2. Where are the user dictionaries located, for there is nothing but .clam files in \Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Linguistics\Dictionaries\Adobe Custom Dictionary\

3. Why did InDesign install Czech, Turkish, Ukrainian, etc. directories there instead of English, German?

The beast has been working fine, but after a new install and update to 6.06, it's starting to annoy me and waste my precious time. And no, I won't even get started about Premiere Elements, the biggest timewaster ever!

Any help appreciated,

Helmar    

• 1. Re: CS4 (6.0.6) Hyphenation and Dictionary questions
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hi,

This isn't Adobe Tech Support, it's a user forum, but many of us are VERY knowledgeable, so we'll see what we can do to help. Start by telling us exactly what you mean by "the infamous hyphenation error on document startup."

• 2. Re: CS4 (6.0.6) Hyphenation and Dictionary questions
            MrMasterKey Level 1

Hi Peter,

thanks for popping in. I forgot that it's a user forum, although the header states "Home/Support/ Forums" on adobe.com.

1. The hyphenation error occured because InDesign somehow failed in installing the Proximity hyphenation service, hence causing the error. Unfortunately, no one here in this forum could point out what to do, other than reinstall the software or delete the preference/settings files.

The fix: I eventually compared my old disk with the new one and found that there was the entire Proximity folder missing in

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics\4.0\Providers\

which I duely copied over, making the error disappear upon loading the document again. So that is working again, saving a reinstall and a reset.

Regarding 2 and 3: I haven't yet tested the user dictionary functionality, but now knowing where else stuff sits, I shall prevail there too.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to respond,

Helmar