5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 10:08 PM by Pete Street

Illustrator layers inside AE

Pete Street Level 1

Hi everyone!

Apologies again for my lack of  knowledge in this area.  I have multiple layers inside Illustrator, each  with the shape outlines for different words.  See this thread...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872916

...for details (and many thanks to CarlosCanto again!).

Everything  works great inside Illustrator -- all of the layers are in sequential  order of how they were typed.  However, once I import the Illustrator file into After Effects, all of the layers are alphabetized by the name of the layer (no longer in the order they were originally typed).  I need to preserve the layer order from Illustrator inside After Effects.

If anyone could help out it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT:  I'm using all CS4 products, if that helps.

• 1. Re: Illustrator layers inside AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Import them as a comp? AE should retain the order if imported this way, but of course only inside the comp. They will still be sorted based on your active column in the project window, there's no way around that.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Illustrator layers inside AE
            Pete Street Level 1

Okay... I suppose that works.

I ran into another  problem though.  The selection boxes around all of the layers are all  the size of the composition, and not the size of the words.  This makes  it really difficult to move the words around by hand, because they're  all stacked on top of each other.

When I imported the  Illustrator file I chose "Import as Composition - Cropped Layers"  thinking that would do the trick.  Is there any way to make the  selection boxes the size of the words and not the whole composition?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Illustrator layers inside AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This should work without problems. Just make sure each text is its own top-level layer in the AI document - that's all that gets used. AE does not recognize sub-layers or nested groups.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Illustrator layers inside AE
                Pete Street Level 1

Well, inside Illustrator is all of the layers on the top-level that have the name of the word they represent.  But all of these layers also have a "Group1" within them, and inside each group is the shape of each individual letter used.  Is that still okay?  Because the selection boxes in AE are still the size of the comp when I have this.

• 5. Re: Illustrator layers inside AE
                  Pete Street Level 1

Hi again,

I'm not sure what I did, but now the selection boxes work fine.

Thanks again for the help!