4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 7:33 PM by Steve Werner

Hunspell—Repair Permissions

thesoulartist

ID 5.5 Mac

Whenever I repair permissions, hunspell always comes up as shown in the image below.

Why is this happening, and is there a way to fix it? Repairing it doesn't stick.

Thanks.

hunspell.jpg

• 1. Re: Hunspell—Repair Permissions
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And why is this a problem for you?

The Hunspell dictionary feature in InDesign CS5.5 is essentially undocumented. Here is the sole entry in InDesign CS5/5.5 Help:

"InDesign supports the open-source HunSpell dictionaries for most languages to verify spelling and to hyphenate words, in addition to the existing Proximity and WinSoft dictionaries."

Here's the website for the project, which appears to be Open Source:

http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hunspell—Repair Permissions
            thesoulartist Level 1

My question is why does hunspell require repair permissions each time? Is this an issue with hunspell, the OS, or what?

• 3. Re: Hunspell—Repair Permissions
              John Hawkinson Level 5

It's better to paste text as text, rather than as images.

Note the error message:

Permissions differ on "usr/lib/libhunsepll-1.2.0.dylib", should be lrwxr-xr-x, they are -rwxr-xr-x.

This error message is...confused. It probably reflects a bug in how hunspell was packaged or in the OSX permissions checking routine.

The "mode" of a unix file is 16-bit number that is generally just the permissions (whether "user", "group", and "world" can read or write). But there are a few other things that are reported along with them by the ls utility, including whether a file is a symbolic link, which is reported by an 'l' in the first character.

A symbolic link is a special kind of file alias that is almost the same as an Alias in the Finder but not quite.

Anyhow, this error message indicates that the unspell dynamic library is expected to be an symlink (pointing to some other locaation for the same file), but instead it is not a symlink, it is an actual file.

This is not really cause for concern, and should not effect anything. It's probably not even a bug and is probably like that on all machines with hunspell installed, though I do not know that to be the case, it is just speculation.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hunspell—Repair Permissions
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have InDesign CS5.5 and Hunspell dictionaries installed and I get the same message when I repair permissions.

Finally, I turned to Ted Landau's columns and now out-of-print Mac OS X Help Line.

After talking about the Repair Disk Permissions feature, he says:

"Repair Disk Permissions Error Messages That Are Repeated. You may find that Repair Disk Permissions occasionally reports the same same error messages more than once, sometimes claiming to re-fix a problem it claimed to fix in a previous run. In most cases you can ignore this repetition and assume the errors were correctly made, or that it is a 'status' message which can be ignored."