5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 3:54 PM by AncientAdam

How do I adjust contrast?

AncientAdam

In PE I have imported a film from a camera mini disk which plays fine - right contrast before importing.  But when I preview it in PE export from PE to an MPEG file for Youtube it is too dark.  I try applying the image effect in PE but it only works when I double click the clip, not in the standard preview or when exported.  I am probably being really dim here but I cannot see what I am doing wrong!

• 1. Re: How do I adjust contrast?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that the Brightness & Contrast will be the Effect that you want. Once applied, click on Edit Effects (for that Clip), and adjust, as is needed.

Unless they have been added, unfortunately, PrE offers several Auto Effects, but I am not a big fan of the Auto versions. PrPro offers the manual versions, which I find much more useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I adjust contrast?
            AncientAdam Level 1

Thanks Bill, I had tried that and had applied the effect to the clip.  The problem is getting that effect to come through on either the PrE preview pane or on the exported MPEG file.  I bet I am missing something really simple here.  AncientAdam

• 3. Re: How do I adjust contrast?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Drag Brightness & Contrast Effect to the Clip, and with your Clip Selected, and from the Effects Tab, click on Edit Effects. That will bring up the Effects Control Panel. Find Brightness & Contrast in the Effects list for that Clip. Click on the little triangle to twirl that Effect open. There, you have two sliders - one for Brightness and one for Contrast.

In this example, PrE 4.0, I have over-corrected the Clip with that Effect, to show the results more vividly:

Brightness_Effect.png

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I adjust contrast?
                AncientAdam Level 1

Bill,

Thank you for your patience!  I have done what you say and successfully applied the effect to the clip.  But my problem is geting that effect to happen in either the monitor pane or when I export the clip as an MPEG.

As I said I am probably being really dim here.Pre Screenshot.jpg

• 5. Re: How do I adjust contrast?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the right-hand section of your GUI is the Properties Panel. There you will see the Adjustments and also any added Effects.

From the Adjust, you can also adjust Brightness & also Contrast. If you scroll down, you should see any Effects that you have added.

Properties_Panel.png

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt