2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 1:55 PM by Dave LaRonde

Getting Rid of Rough Text Edges

geoharmonics

I am new to After Effects and want to create a simple effect.  Everything is good except I am getting bad looking 3D Text.  I have followed several tutorials and tried collapsing the transformations but nothing changes. Please help.  I am using CS4. I am attaching images and the project file if I can to show you what I mean. This effect continues exactly as you see it when I export any type of file.  I am using full resolution. Comp 4 is the nested Comp 3.

Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 2.09.13 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-07-05 at 2.09.22 PM.png

• 1. Re: Getting Rid of Rough Text Edges
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Simply use a different font to get better curvature behavior. Also never apply Shatter directly to the text - you are double-introducing the edge degeneration my multiplying the shatter edges over already semi-transparent pixels. Pretty much all so-called tutorials have that wrong. Instead create separate pre-compositions for the actual layer to shatter and a second version, but treated with effects like Minimax, Matte Choker and blurs to control edge expansion and softness...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Getting Rid of Rough Text Edges
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Although I can't see the switch -- it's not in the shot -- it could also be due to having the pixel aspect ratio compensation turned on.  It's at the bottom of the comp window, and it looks like an arrow with two heads.  Turned on, the comp is in the proper SCREEN aspect ratio, but text tends to go jaggy.  Turned off, the comp is displayed in square pixels, the screen aspect ratio isn't right, but text is nice 'n smooth.

AE will render such text smoothly.