25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 1:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...

amigo10

Hey guys,

I have some files I need to edit and they are in .mov format.

I've done some research and found out that there are some codecs which play only on mac.

VLC does play the files, but when I import to Premiere it gives me this annoying error message:

missing.PNG

So I tried to install all kinds of codecs but nothing help and I kept getting the same error.

Converting them in VLC didn't work either cause the coded doesn't change.

Media Encoder obviously doesn't help either in this case.

This is the information I get from VLC codec info:

codecs.PNG

Is there any codec I can install which will fix this problem?

I really hope I don't need to convert the files since they are big files and it will take lot's of time.

But if there is no other way, how can I convert them?

By the way, QuickTime plays only the audio.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

• 1. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
          Colin Brougham Level 6

MPEG2 video is not common in a QuickTime container; that's what the "mpgv" FourCC indicates is the encoder for the video stream. This makes me wonder if maybe the extensions are wrong. Try changing the extension from "mov" to "mpg" and see if you can playback the footage (probably not in QT Player) and import it into Premiere Pro.

• 2. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
            amigo10 Level 1

Thanks Colin for your quick reply!

I did what you said, and I was happy to see the file now imports into premiere as you can see-

Capture.PNG

But sadly.. It's not good enough. It imports without sound and without video.

Capture1.PNG

Do you have any idea what else I can try?

Ofcourse now in my explorer folder I have an .xmp file, but that doesn't help me much either...

Hmm... Frustrating!!

• 3. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
              Colin Brougham Level 6

"Media Pending" means the video is being indexed and the audio is being conformed. Give it a few moments to do its thing, depending on how long the source clip is.

• 4. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For more background on Conforming and Indexing, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                  amigo10 Level 1

Nope..

It simply doesn't work.

It doesnt even show me the conforming video on the right bottom side of the screen.

It only imports but thats all.

What can I do??

Should I just try to convert them somehow? Any recomendations?

Thanks again guys!

• 6. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                    amigo10 Level 1

Hey! Now Audio only imports-- and works! We're getting there.. But I still need help..

• 7. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Alright, I can't test this, since I don't have any footage like what you're describing, so you'll have to be the guinea pig:

1. Grab this zip file and extract the two files in it into the folder containing the MOV file.
                      2. Grab tsMuxeR and unzip it. There is no installation.
                      3. Run  the "movfix.bat" file that you originally extracted; this will process  the MOV file into an M2V video stream and a WAV audio file. It should  only take a few moments.
                      4. Open up tsMuxeR, and add both the M2V and the WAV file.
                      5. Under Output, select M2TS muxing and pick a save location/name. Hit "Start Muxing."
                      6. When  it's done, you'll have an M2TS file that will (or should!) import into  Premiere Pro. Thoughout this process, there has been no reencoding, so  the resulting file is exactly the same as the MOV.

Again, this is shooting from the hip; it worked for another user who was working with a different MPEG2 variant in an MOV container, and since I don't have anything like this to experiment with, I take no responsibility for it stealing your lunch money. If you have a small example you could upload somewhere, I could more accurately figure out a solution, but give the above a shot, first.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                        amigo10 Level 1

First.. Colin! You're the best!

I now have video as well!

I downloaded and did everything you said and it now works.

But..

Only video works now..

But since I now know how to import audio seperatley by changing the name to .mpg and importing,

I can now use your method for the video and then change the name of the original to .mpg and import the sound.

This isn't a perect solution cause we're now talking about 2 different files and that's not the best way to edit, but it is a solution.

I would love to upload a small sample so you can have a closer look, but I sinercley have no idea how to do it cause I can't import the original to premiere.

I tried 'Agilie mov spliter' but without success.... It can't read it either.... Have an idea how I can split it? (the thing is each file is above 3 GB..)

But once again- Thank you very much for your help, you really helped me out.

I hope we're able to find a good solution for importing the sound together with the m2ts file..

Thanks,

Daniel

• 9. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, we're close...

After you ran the batch file, did you get a WAV file in the folder? If so, does it play?

Also, just so I can get a better idea of how this file is configured, please download MediaInfo and run one of the MOVs through it. If you flip into Text mode, you can copy and paste the results here; I think I just don't have the channels configured correctly in the script, but it's hard to tell how they're aligned without a file in front of me.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                            amigo10 Level 1

Yep we're really close!

Ok so the .Wav is 0 bytes. Nothing there.. That explains why there nothing to import.. I feel stupid for not checking that before..

These are the details from MediaInfo, I hope this gets us one step furthere to the final stage :

Format                           : DV

Codec ID                         : hdv3

Duration                         : 12mn 39s

Bit rate                         : 25.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 416 pixels

Original width                   : 1 440 pixels

Height                           : 1 062 pixels

Original height                  : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Constant

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2

Scan type                        : Interlaced

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.665

Stream size                      : 2.21 GiB (94%)

Language                         : English

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-06 13:22:23

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-05-06 13:22:23

Audio #1

ID                               : 2

Format                           : PCM

Format settings, Endianness      : Little

Format settings, Sign            : Signed

Codec ID                         : sowt

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 1 channel

Channel positions                : Front: L

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Stream size                      : 69.5 MiB (3%)

Audio #2

ID                               : 3

Format settings, Sign            : Signed

Codec ID                         : sowt

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 1 channel

Channel positions                : Front: R

Stream size                      : 69.5 MiB (3%)

Menu

ID                               : 4

Thanks again,

Daniel

• 11. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Fixed it!

In the archive file you opened, you have a "movfix.bat" file. Right-click that, select Edit, and the batch file will open up in Notepad. Replace the last line with this:

for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vn -map_audio_channel 0:1:0:0:0:0 -map_audio_channel 0:2:0:0:0:1 -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 -f wav -y "%%~na".wav

Save the batch file, and re-run it. This time, you should get a WAV file with audio in it Carry on as prescribed above.

Let me know how that goes...

• 12. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                amigo10 Level 1

Wow you're smart..! I was just just about to write- IT'S DONE!

But.... yes another small small tiny but......... ahhhhh!!

Well actually maybe it's meant to be this way.. If it is, I think it can work fine for me.

The thing is- the m2ts file still muxes without sound. I mean after importing the m2v and wav files into the Muxer, and I press start Muxing-

After that... I get the m2ts file but without sound. and I tried playing it in a few different players and all are with out sound.

But there is a .wav that now 139mb. So I can simply import it and I'm done. But should the m2ts file have sound as well? It should be better if it does.

When all of this is done and over, I'm going to call adobe and ask them to hire you as their worker

• 13. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Argh...

Does the WAV itself play? Can you run a MediaInfo report on the M2TS that was generated? There should be a log file generated by TSMuxeR; can you post the contents of that?

• 14. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                    amigo10 Level 1

Ya the .wav plays normaly.. no problems with that.

I couldn't find the log file generated by the muxer. Where should it be? (and what does is its extension?)

The Media info for the m2ts file looks like this:

General

ID                               : 1 (0x1)

Complete name                    : E:\Seminar 06.05.2011\joel rosdeberg\Converted\Almost.m2ts

Format                           : BDAV

Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video

File size                        : 2.31 GiB

Overall bit rate                 : 26.1 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate         : 35.5 Mbps

Video

ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)

Format                           : MPEG Video

Format_Commercial_IfAny          : HDV 1080i

Format version                   : Version 2

Format profile                   : Main@High 1440

Format settings, BVOP            : Yes

Format settings, Matrix          : Custom

Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12

Codec ID                         : 2

Bit rate                         : 25.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 440 pixels

Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Standard                         : Component

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Interlaced

Scan order                       : Top Field First

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.643

Stream size                      : 2.22 GiB (96%)

Thankssss!!!

• 15. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah. Well, the reason you're not getting any audio with the M2TS file is because there is no audio in it

So, TSMuxeR must be rejecting the WAV file... but first, are you sure you're adding it into TSMuxeR? There should be a .meta file in the same folder with the name of the source file that will give some more info; you can open it in Notepad.

• 16. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                        amigo10 Level 1

Hmmm.. No .meta file in the folder.

And just to make sure I muxed it again and made sure I add the .wav file into the muxer.

But if M2TS file has no audio, and I have an audio file already from the movfix, then actualy we're done. aren't we?

From what I understand there's no way to have an M2TS file with audio..

So I assume- It's DONE!! Just give me the 'Final conformation' and I'll start editing!!

Thanks so so so so so much for all of your help and time you spend helping me out here.

(I'll only be able to reply later tonight since I'm leaving my computer now..)

Thanks again!

Daniel

• 17. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

No, you should be able to mux the M2V and WAV together in one file; those are legitimate stream sources for a transport stream file. Not sure why TSMuxeR isn't doing what it should, but let me look into it.

But yes, you're correct--you can import both sources independently and use them in Premiere Pro. You could even link them together, either in a sequence or with the Merge Clips feature if you felt like it. Let me experiment some more!

• 18. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                            amigo10 Level 1

Hi again,

I tried playing around a little more but with no successes.

I'll start editing the m2ts with the seperate .wav, and if me or you (probably you if anyone) manages to work some thing out I'll go that way.

Thanks again for your fantastic help.

• 19. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Can you outline what you're doing with tsMuxeR? You should be opening the tsMuxeRGUI.exe file, clicking the Add button on the Input tab, and adding the M2V file. Click the Add button again, and select the WAV file. Choose M2TS muxing, and pick a file location and name, and then click Start Muxing.

I have a feeling that the WAV file isn't being added to the GUI...

• 20. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                amigo10 Level 1

Hey again.

Yes those are the steps I follow.

But the m2ts file is without sound.

The metadata is-

MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --vbr  --vbv-len=500

V_MPEG-2, "E:\ME 06.05.2011\joel\Converted\QandA-part2 - Copy.m2v", fps=25

A_LPCM, "E:\ME 06.05.2011\joel\Converted\QandA-part2 - Copy.wav"

Do m2ts files usualy have sound?

• 21. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Do m2ts files usualy have sound?

Oh, yes--absolutely. An M2TS file is an MPEG Transport Stream, which means it can (and should) carry both video and audio. I do this all the time.

Can you post MediaInfo for the WAV file? I'm wondering is something is strange with the audio...

• 22. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                    amigo10 Level 1

Hmm.. So we should be able to do this...

Media info for the .Wav:

Format                           : Wave

File size                        : 139 MiB

Overall bit rate                 : 1 536 Kbps

Audio

ID                               : 0

Codec ID                         : 1

Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft

Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Stream size                      : 139 MiB (100%)

• 23. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Hmm... all looks well. The test clip I'm playing with generates exactly the same audio (from a parameter standpoint, anyway), and the user I helped out with a similar problem the other day had much longer (1 hour plus) files to rewrap, and that worked.

Sending you a PM...

• 24. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                        rt.Taylor

Hi, I'm currently having the same exact issue that amigo10 had. I'm trying to import .mov files with the MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) codec into Premiere, but I get the "codec missing or unavailable" dialogue box . Like amigo10, it will play in VLC. Reading this thread, it would seem you helped him. So kudos on that.

The above instructions say to grab a zip file containing two files, one of which is a movfix.bat. The link to that zip file is no longer valid. Can you point me to a location where I can get this movfix.bat?

Thanks!

• 25. Re: Mpgv Sowt import? Only mac? Import problems...
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I do not have a current link.

However, VLC, like some other players, has its own set of CODEC's, if the proper one is not installed on the system. That can lead to a false sense of security, as VLC will play files, for which no CODEC exists on the system. Also, even if a particular CODEC does exist, and was installed properly, there is no guarantee that PrPro can use it to decode the file. Some CODEC's are used only for playback (most common), where some can be used to Encode (less common), and then the smallest sub-set can be used by an NLE (Non Linear Editor) program for Decoding and Encoding. One example is the DivX CODEC, which is used in playback, then can be used by many NLE's to Encode during Export, but few NLE's can use it to Decode for editing.

Wish that I had more, and hope that someone has a live link to Colin's files for you.

Good luck,

Hunt