GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As an example

national college dublin

And I want only the N C D to be caps always

Possible to do in a GREP Style?

• 1. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Of course it's possible, but mind you: a GREP style is applied to a paragraph, so every word will be capitalized!

\b(\l)(?=\l+\b)

(where you'd apply a character style that sets Caps). I don't think there is an easy way to restrict it to any three words in sequence, anywhere inside a paragraph. That's because this needs a lookahead -- you need a lowercase character followed by more lowercases that do NOT need the character style applied -- and you cannot string a number of lookaheads together whilst still applying the style to the characters "in between".

Since this is a relevant change, and not just some fancy text formatting, I'd advise to assign a hot key to Title Case and change it the hard way.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Thanks that gave me an idea - do it as string of "ors" with look arounds?

(n|N)(?=ational (c|C)ollege (d|D)ublin)|(?<=(n|N)ational )(c|C)(?=ollege (d|D)ublin)|(?<=(n|N)ational (c|C)ollege )(d|D)(?=ublin)

But it doesn't seem to be working for me?

• 3. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

it seems to only find the first word?

But if I put those in individually it finds the letter I want no problem?

What have I missed here?

• 4. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Problem solved

Put them in as 3 different entries in the Style

Now it finds them and automatically changes them

• 5. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not tested, but because you are looking for essentially the same string every time, not some set of three random words, I think you could do this in one go with

N?n?ational C?c?ollege D?d?ublin

and apply Title Case, or just do a non-case-sensitive plain text Find/Change when done and apply the style...

• 6. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Trying to avoid using the find/change and/or doing it manually

I've got quite a few of these and they may come from other sources, so I've built up a series of GREPs to change acronymns to upper case, and certain "words" should always be title case.

I've built them all into the styles now, so any new copy that is placed will automatically treat the upper and lower case.

• 7. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Trying to avoid using the find/change and/or doing it manually

I understand that completely.

The only thing about GREP styles is they add a fair amount of overhead to composition, and the more you have, the more you will see slowdown (particularly on a less than stellar machine). As a matter of principle I think a single expression rather than two or three that does the same thing is likely to be more efficient.

• 8. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

It's a slippery slope, but I've added about 6 different GREP styles to capitalise acronyms and to capitalise words.

The beauty is that it won't capitalise the word national on it's own or college or dublin.

It has to be in that sequence.

Now, if Title Case was added to the Paragraph or Character style, instead of the choices currently there then I'd be much happier

• 9. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

OH, right. I forget that Title Case is not available as a character style, so what I said won't help. It did occur to me while walking the dog, though, (and I forgot to post) that classes would be better than the C?c? type of query. [Cc]ollege would find either version, but not Ccollege or cCollege, as the first one would.

Preumably Dublin should always be capitalized, even if not part of the other strings?

• 10. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Oh, geeze, guys! Use /[Nn]ational [Cc]ollege [Dd]ublin/ and be done with it!

• 11. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Isn't that what I just said?

But it won't work as a GREP STYLE because you can't select Title Case as a character style attribute.

• 12. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Argh! I fail at reading comprehension, sorry. Time to go have brunch, I think.

My regexp of course doesn't work helpfully as a GREP style for the reason you noted earlier, that you have no ability to specify Title Case.

Though I do think that for this sort of thing, GREP styles are really The Wrong Way To Do It. Bad things will happen if someone cut-and-pastes the text out (they get the wrong version). And you're needlessly forcing ID to do these searches over every graf with the applied style whenever anything in that text changes (or more often), when really it ought to only need to do it once... I understand the appeal, I just wouldn't do it myself -- unless I had to!

• 13. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Yeh I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have to.

I don't think it's the wrong thing for GREP to do. I really needed it for this particular publication, I can't tell you how many times I've done seraches and searches and searches in this publication to make things upper case where needed.

The GREP solution really works in THIS particular case.

I don't know how John can proclaim it's the wrong way to do it and he doesn't even know the context in which I am using it. I left out the details on why I am doing it this way for a reason. Because I didn't really want a debate on the right/wrong way to use GREP.

If you saw the context in which I am doing this you'd agree it's the best way. But I can't post the actual copy here.

Fear not, this is not applied to 100's of pages. Only a few. And it's essential that these particular words maintain their upper- and lowercase, especially when receiving new files from various sources.

That's why I put only exactly what I wanted to do in the opening post.

I already figured out what I wanted to do and I haven't seen a better way yet.

Thanks for trying though.

• 14. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

Ok the thing with the 3 words - say it is National College Dublin

Then in the heaings I have

Welcome to National College Dublin Your Free Guide

Take a Tour of National College Dublin

Here's a Sample of Student Life at National College Dublin

For say about 500 pages.

I then make a TOC

BUT they want the TOC to be Sentence case only!!!

Now when I insert the TOC it's all Title Case as per the headings

So I select the TOC - and I go "Sentence case"

Now I have a TOC to update Acronymns, national college dublin, and about 6 other things

That's why I needed to do it. So the TOC style would automate the upper- and lowercase of the words I need.

What I have built in the Styles works great for this TOC. And saves me a lot of time.

Hope that clears things up.

• 15. Re: GREP Style, 3 words, only first letter cap

And to add to that. The TOC is in a seperate file, it's only opened when I need to update it.

Good bless the Book Panel.