7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 8:19 AM by the_wine_snob

5.1 audio?

alienarttattoo

HI, im new to premiere elements9 and my first time on a forum, Please help.

I have imported my video from my sony HDR-PJ10, with my project settings as Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel.

It shows 5.1 on the left in audio on my time line and i can see all 6 levels in the audio mixer working.

i have burnt my project to a DVD.

Why does my Sony DVD recorded/player (RDR-HDC100) not recognise it as 5.1 audio? Am i doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: 5.1 audio?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

PrE can ingest DD 5.1 SS, and can edit with it. However, it cannot Export/Share DD 5.1 SS, as it does not have a DD 5.1 SS encoder.

Even with PrPro, one must purchase the Minnetonka Audio SurCode Encoder plug-in for ~ US $ 250.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: 5.1 audio?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Bill is correct. Premiere Elements does not have the ability to output a 5.1 audio DVD.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 5.1 audio?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You might get some ideas on a DD 5.1 SS Audo stream without the Minnetonka Audio SurCode plug-in (PrPro only), from this THREAD.

Dislcaimer: As I have PrPro and the SurCode plug-in for each copy, I have never needed to use anything other workflow, and have never tested any.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 5.1 audio?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another potential workflow, from TerraChild, but again, I have zero experience with this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: 5.1 audio?
                  alienarttattoo Level 1

Thankyou for your help!

• 6. Re: 5.1 audio?
                    alienarttattoo Level 1

Sorry, probably a sill question, does this mean if i purchace this program i will then be able to burn my project in 5.1? does this program work with PrE some how? or do i use it seperatly some how?

Thanks.

Actually no need to answer this i think i have just read everything i have asked on there web sight, thanks again for your help with this!

• 7. Re: 5.1 audio?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It has been awhile, since I read those two workflows completely, but think that each uses freeware to get to a DD 5.1 SS AC3 file.

Now, what I am totally uncertain on, is whether one can then use that resultant DD AC3 in PrE. Because the DVD authroring function in PrE is limited and also semi-automatic, with few options to make any changes, I would assume that one would need to use another authoring app. to use the resultant DD 5.1 SS AC3. Many here swear by Sony's DVD Architect, but I have never used it. Steve Grisetti has written a book on Sony DVD Architect, and also has several articles on it in his Learning Series at Muvipix.com. Perhaps he, or another DVD Architect user, can fill in that blank. My DVD workflow is extremely limited: edit in PrPro, use the SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in, take the DD AC3 into Encore, where I Burn to Disc. Encore handles DD 5.1 SS in pass-through mode only, so no DD 5.1 SS monitoring, though I do that in PrPro, when creating. The same for DTS, and Pro-Logic supplemental Audio Streams - I encode those with the various SurCode encoders (both are stand-alones, so I have to Export from PrPro, then Import into each). Again, Encore does this, but only in pass-through mode.

Wish that I had more precise instructions for you, when using PrE, but I do not. Before you run out and buy Sony's DVD Architect, I would check on it's capabilities to author with DD AC3 5.1 SS. As Sony is a certified Dolby Labs company, I would assume that it's DVD Architect can work with DD 5.1 SS, but just do not know, nor do I now how.

Good luck,

Hunt