36 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2013 8:47 AM by ExactImage

Stabilize a Multicam Clip

ExactImage Level 3

This is driving me nuts!    I'm used to being able to right click on a clip in an FCP timeline and say send to motion - stabilize *just that part of the clip* and return to FCP.  Job done.   Not so in Premiere Pro AE it seems.

So, here's the problem.

4 Cameras - each have long clips.   As I've cut them in Multicam I need to take out a small wobble in a 6 second section of (say) track 3.    If I right click on this clip and replace with an AE comp so I can stabilize it the entire multiclip appears in AE and it now wants to stabilize the entire 40 mins rather than just this 6 second piece.  Crazy.

What is the easiest / fastest workaround for this?    Stabilizing the entire 40 min clip is not practical for several reasons, including the time taken to analyse (many hours) and the fact that the camera moved position in this time so the footage wouldn't even match anyway!

Help!  Going crazy since I'm trying to get this project finished and delivered..... it's the first Multicam I've done in PP after switching from FCP7.

• 1. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
          Colin Brougham Level 6

First, I'd create a nest with the track/angle that contains the wobble--you'll see why in a second. Climb into that nest, mark the region with the wobble using the Work Area Bar, and export that segment of the sequence to an uncompressed clip (MOV or AVI, depending on your platform).

Import that clip back into PPro, and drop it on a track above the original clip in the nested sequence--you'll still have your WAB marks so you'll know right where it goes. If the original long clip is on V1, your exported/imported clip will be on V2. Right-click it, and select Replace with AE Comp. You can now do your stabilization on just that bit--should be much faster. Since it's a DL comp, it'll be immediately updated in your PPro sequence.

The reason you nested the original track/angle is because the multi-tracked sequence will act as a single track in the multicam sequence. It gives you the flexibility of simply turning off the visibility for the fixed segment, should you decide you don't want to use it.

• 2. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
            ExactImage Level 3

This seems a rather long winded way of doing things compared to the promised right click integration

FCP / Motion does this much better / faster. 

So, if for some reason during a 1 hour show I have 10 wobbles to fix, I have to export 10 files, re-import and place 10 files and only then can I send them to AE?

Pfft.

Ok Adobe, this one definitely needs cleaning up!

• 3. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
              Colin Brougham Level 6

It would probably take you about 30 seconds per segment. If it's all in one angle, maybe 20 seconds. I guess I don't see the connection here to "the promised right click integration?"

• 4. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Perhaps, I missed something... Correct me, if I'm wrong...

Supposing, I had several long multicam shots. I placed footages into nested comp and synchronised them (specially for you: total movie length is of about 55 min):

Multicam. PrPro. Nested Seq.jpg

Then made cuts on Master sequence via Multi-cam Monitor:

Multicam. PrPro. Master Seq.jpg

Found out that my movie needed stabilisation right from 15:00:00 to 15:05:00.

OK. Made two extra cuts on 15:00:00 and 15:05:00:

Multicam. PrPro. Extra Cut.jpg

Replaced that short clip with AE comp. Checked nested AE comp for proper camera view:

Multicam. AE. Nested comp.jpg

Applied Warp Stabilizer onto my short AE Master comp (it was actually completely useless footage, just for playing around)

Multicam. AE. Warp Stabilizer.jpg

It took of about two minutes to calculate all the stabilisation within AE

Multicam. PrPro. Stabilised comp.jpg

• 5. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                  ExactImage Level 3

If that's all it took, I'd be reasonably happy.  the problem is that those 5 or 6 seconds suddenly turned in to 1hr 55 min analysis because it wanted to analyse (or appeared to want to analyse) a MUCH larger portion and not just the 5/6 second clip.

Honestly, if 2 mins analysis was the problem it would be no problem at all, I'd deal with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case - unless I'm doing something wrong!

• 6. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

What you're encountering is one of the ramifications of native format editing as provided by Premiere Pro. Unlike FCP7, where footage is transcoded or rewrapped on import, you're working on the camera originals--and in your case, they're rather long recordings/large files.

Though I have no experience with it, what I'm assuming FCP/Motion does is extract a segment of your clip automatically and create a new MOV file of the segment you want to stabilize. That's why it's (relatively speaking) much faster to do this particular process in FCP. What I'm offering is a two-step to accomplishing the same thing in Premiere Pro and AE. Both Premiere Pro and AE work on the camera originals, so they are imported wholesale without any trimming; when you use Warp Stabilizer, it therefore needs to analyze the whole clip. Yeah, it might not be as elegant, but I can say that almost beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will never see this kind of process in PPro--it flies in the face of native format support.

Considering the time savings that native format support provides, I still think you're coming into home plate much sooner with this workflow than you would be when accounting for a transcode/rewrap.

• 7. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

It SHOULD analyse the length of your SHORT AE MASTER comp (in case you apply Stabilisation - as well as any other effect - onto it)

Just for the sake of playing around.

In AE duplicate your long nested comp (and give any name you like).

Because it linked with your short AE Master comp, you are able to trim it exactly as you want:

- press Home when you're in your Master comp;

- switch to your brand new nested one, press B - it sets up the beginning of Work Area (and then if you want select appropriate leyer and press Alt+[ / Opt+[);

- switch to your Master comp back and press End;

- switch to brand new nested comp and press N (also optionally press Alt+] / Opt+] to cut your layer);

- delete all unused layers, choose Composition -> Trim Comp to Work Area;

- apply Warp Stabilizer onto trimmed brand new comp;

- import it via Dynamic Link into PrPro;

- enjoy (at least, I hope so...)

• 8. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        It SHOULD analyse the length of your SHORT AE MASTER comp

It won't. Even if you create, say, a 1-second comp from a 1-hour clip, that entire 1-hour clip is available for that 1-second comp. As a result, AE must analyze the entire duration of the 1-hour clip, because it is a single footage item. That's the reason for my export/import/DL workflow suggestion. You need to hard limit the amount of footage that AE will analyze, or you wait... and wait... and wait.

• 9. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Quesas, Quesas, Quesas...

AE. Stabilising trimmed comp.jpg

Original footage length is 16:28:00

The composition is trimmed up to 5 seconds...

• 10. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yours works differently then mine, in that case... can't explain it.

• 11. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Just for the record.

Trimmed composition was extended up to 7 seconds

AE. Stabilising extended comp.jpg

• 12. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                ExactImage Level 3

Well.... Fuzzy.... I just can't get mine to operate like yours.  Scratching my head here.

I'm currently using Colin's workaround, and while it works it does create extra files I need to manage in the project bins  

Finding a way to make it would like Fuzzy's would be a much better solution.

• 13. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

But where and when issues start to occur?

Are you able to upload any of your original footage sample so that I'm able to play?

• 14. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                    ExactImage Level 3

I can't find ANY clips that are shortened in AE - they all want to analyse the full clips.

Create a color matte in PP - say 10 mins long, maybe red in colour then export that as a 10 min movie.  Change the color to green and export, then blue and export.

Bring all three exported clips back in to a single sequence, nest and create multiclip.  Change screens every 10 seconds or so.   At 3 mins in tell it you want to stabilize that clip and tell me what you get......

For me it wants to analyse a 10 min clip, not a 10 second clip.

• 16. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Ten minutes movie. Looks amazing, isn't it?

Multicam with Colour Mattes. Multicam Monitor.jpg

Extra cuts for 5 seconds clip while on green camera view:

Multicam with Colour Mattes. PrPro. Extra cuts.jpg

Check AE nested comp for proper green view:

Multicam with Colour Mattes. AE. Nested comp.jpg

Check AE Master comp. Exactly 5 seconds:

Multicam with Colour Mattes. AE. Master comp.jpg

Apply Warp Stabilizer:

Multicam with Colour Mattes. AE. Stabilising.jpg

Precisely 125 frames...

• 17. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                        ExactImage Level 3

"Extra cuts for 5 seconds clip while on green camera view:"

Can you be more specific about these "Extra Cuts" ?

• 18. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

That means you may treat your PrPro Master sequence as a common one.

Who prohibits you from cutting, dragging, rearranging it?

• 19. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                            ExactImage Level 3

Sorry, I'm still confused.  How /  Where Exactly are you making those extra cuts?

• 20. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

At ANY place on the timeline you need.

Have a look at my very first post here again.

• 21. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I used the warp stabilizer quite a bit (also on underwater footage) and it analyzes only the work area i assin to analyze even with DL from Pro.warp.png

• 22. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                  Two cats...
                                                  • 23. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                    ExactImage Level 3

Err.....

let me look again....

• 24. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                      ExactImage Level 3

Ok - for some reason I'm just not getting this.

The extra cuts you are making - are this on the resulting multicam sequence OR on the original clips that went to make up the multicam?

Either way I can't get only a short clip to stabilize......   < confused >

Any way you can capture the screen as a video to show the steps?

• 25. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                        What exactly are you cutting at that point?

The piece of the movie that needs stabilisation

• 26. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                          are this on the resulting multicam sequence

Indeed!

The PrPro sequence where you place your original footages is 'Nested sequence'.

The resulting sequence on which you apply cuts via Multi-cam Monitor is 'Master sequence'.

When you finished your magic with Multi-cam Monitor, treat Master sequence.

• 27. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                            ExactImage Level 3

So, I have a 10 second cut in the multicam sequence.   Before this cut is (say) Track 1, this is track 2, the next clip is track 3.

I want to stabilize the 10 second (i.e. the entire section) for track 2 in AE.   Where do I put these extra cuts?   I've tried cutting there and it make no difference (after all it's already cut there within the sequence.

< confused >

• 28. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Nowhere.

It was just an example.

If you have say 30 seconds Track X clip but want to stabilise just a piece of them, say 5 seconds, you cut out these particular 5 seconds.

If you want to stabilise all 30 seconds, no extra cuts.

• 29. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                                Any way you can capture the screen as a video to show the steps?

If only I knew how to do it with my Microsoft LifeCam...

• 30. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                  ExactImage Level 3

Hmmm.... and therein lay the problem.   No extra cuts.   I was hoping this was the extra step needed.

I'm just getting the entire source file in AE being stabilized and not just the section I need.    What could be different here?

• 31. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

When you replace your 10 seconds clip with AE comp, AE creates two ones:

- Master comp, which is exactly your 10 seconds clip apart from probably proper view;

- Nested comp, which is exactly you Nested PrPro sequence.

On which one do you apply Warp Sabilizer?

• 32. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                      ExactImage Level 3

The short comp is the wrong view.

The one with all the layers makes it analyse the entire clip, not just the part I want.

......  which is kinda where it all started.....

• 33. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Right.

Now get back to our first discussion about possible bugs in Multi-cam while replacing a clip with AE comp.

Switch to the comp with all your layers and disable eyeballs of all upper layers, which overlap your proper camera view.

When you just replaced your multicam clip with AE comp, playhead is in proper position.

When you switch to the comp with all layers, the playhead somewhere in the middle, but all the layers are arranged in relation to camera views.

You know from PrPro which view is proper, so you know which eyeballs to disable.

Have a look at our Colour Matte play. I put Colour Mattes into Nested PrPro sequence in the following order from bottom to top: Blue, Green, Red.

I know that I need to bring back my Green view, hence I disable eyeball of just Red Matte.

Now jump back to AE Master comp - proper camera view is here, and just the length we need.

Apply Warp Stabilizer onto AE Master comp.

• 34. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                          Axel Arzola Level 1

You can stabilize your clips inside of PPro without the roundtripto AE

Try this:

In the multicam sequence where you have your long clips synced, use the razor tool to slice and make the independent small clips that need stabilization.

Now apply the Warp Stabilizer effect to those clips that need it.

I hope this is helpful.

• 35. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If he hadn't resolved the issue for two years, he would need a bit more help than you offered.

Sometimes it is wise to take note of the discussion date prior to posting comments...

• 36. Re: Stabilize a Multicam Clip
                                                                              ExactImage Level 3

Axel Arzola wrote:

You can stabilize your clips inside of PPro without the roundtripto AE

Try this:

In the multicam sequence where you have your long clips synced, use the razor tool to slice and make the independent small clips that need stabilization.

Now apply the Warp Stabilizer effect to those clips that need it.

I hope this is helpful.

Errr.. yeah you can now, but when I first opened this, Warp was not in PP CS5