4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 9:00 AM by Peter Spier

Batch changing a template

blccs

I am trying to create a library of product specs for the products our company sells. The company is in the process of rebranding and hence all of the documentation needs to be produced on the current letterhead. How ever in a few months this will change to the new letterhead.

So we do not have to create all of the documents again from scratch, is there a way using adobe products to create a letterhead as a template and then apply it to a group of files ???

I would like to create some blank docs with the product specs on and then just apply the current template. Then when the new template is ready apply it to all the documents....

Any ideas would be helpful. I am using creative suite 5.5.

• 1. Re: Batch changing a template
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should use styles (paragraph, character, tables, cells and object) and master pages. All those definitions can be replaced by a new style with a few clicks.

• 2. Re: Batch changing a template
            blccs Level 1

Do you know any useful links ??? Should i use indesign for this or another adobe product ???

• 3. Re: Batch changing a template
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you create printed material or screen presentations or epubs use InDesign. That's the best program to do it.

• 4. Re: Batch changing a template
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In addition to waht Willi has said, you might want to create a graphic of the letterhead layout with no changeable content. Save that as either a single-page .indd or a PDF, (or if you lay it out in Illustrator, save as PDF or .ai). Make sure you save as a copy of some sort that you can destroy, then place that in your templates.

When you've finished the re-branding make a new graphic, and save it with the same name and in the same location as the original, overwriting the old file. Open the templates "as original" (File > Open... and change the radio button) ONE TIME and update the links so you don't get bothered each time you make a new document from them, then save and close. In future open the templates "normally."