12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 11:57 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Warp Stabilization example

Rallymax Level 2

Hi all,

while not writing Premiere plug ins I chase steam trains.

The new Warp Stabilization with it's shutter roll corrections is a vast improvement on the up-to-now best (in my opinion 2d3 SteadyMove Pro).

Here is some test footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74l5U1tcVFQ

prepare to be impressed.

Rallymax,

• 1. Re: Warp Stabilization example
          Colin Brougham Level 6

The side-by-side-by-side demo is pretty cool. Even Warp Stabilizer can't fix everything, but for the most part, that's crazy-good.

(What sort of plug-ins do you write?)

• 2. Re: Warp Stabilization example
            Rallymax Level 2

It's an after hours thing but I like to write exporters.

I'm also dabbling with importers and players (importer + players + exporter = native workflow)

Stay tuned I'll be announcing my exporter release really soon.

• 3. Re: Warp Stabilization example
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool stuff. Just in case you're looking, I like to beta test

• 4. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Warp Stabilizer is obviously vast improvement!

But did you try proDAD Mercalli?

As for me, it provides a bit better output (what is more, in my humble opinion, the first version of proDAD Mercalli was a bit better in some circumstances because of providing much more adjustable settings...)

I wish Adobe combined their 'Content Aware' technology with ongoing stabilising technology so as to provide less scaling down...

At least in CS6...

Ple-e-ease !!!
                • 5. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                  Stay tuned

Added to favourite contributors list

• 6. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I wish Adobe combined their 'Content Aware' technology with ongoing stabilising technology so as to provide less scaling down...

Have you not used the Synthesize Edges option?

See the videos pointed to from this page for details of Warp Stabilizer, including using Synthesize Edges.

• 7. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                      Rallymax Level 2

I tried 2d3 and ProDAD.

I found them both to be lacking in their own ways. - especially with shutter roll.

For the test case I posted I found 2d3 to do a better job albeit not perfect. You have to admit it saved 90% of the footage though which is pretty darn AMAZING! The bottom right 70% zoom sure does show how much it was bouncing around. - When you see it trapezoid and rhombus is when it's adjusting for shutter roll.

-but here's the kicker. 2d3 SteadyMove Pro only works with CS3 and before.

It's actually this shortcoming that got me interested after hours in plug-ins. I started writing a plugin that works in CS4 (and now CS5) that can absorb pre-CS4 plugins. It can also mix 32bit plugins with 64bit CS5.

At the same time I got interested in Exporters after finding that the quality of the output from the bundled Main Concept encoders are awful and not-to-spec (but hey what do you expect from a bundled consumer level encoder).

As for stabilization during my investigations back in 2009 I came across this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TlCGh5Pc90

I even talked to the researchers about productizing it. 'fortunately Adobe did that for me and that's what "Warp Stabilizer" is.

Next I W_I_S_H this AE plugin were available as a Premiere Plugin. It's killing me that every clip has to be converted to an After Effects Composition and done over there.

'glad I've perked up some interest!

• 8. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                        Rallymax Level 2

>Have you not used the Synthesize Edges option?

>See the videos pointed to from http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/04/warp-stabilizer-in-after->effects-cs5-5.html for details of Warp Stabilizer, including using Synthesize Edges.

It's fine as an idea but with my jerky footage the plugin soon reports that it can't do it or "Stabilize,Auto Crop" because the instability is too great.

I was only able to use "Stabilize Only" and them manually set (this clip) to 130% scale. Other clips I got away with 110% and %120.

• 9. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I started writing a plugin that works in CS4 (and now CS5) that can absorb pre-CS4 plugins. It can also mix 32bit plugins with 64bit CS5.

Want!

At the same time I got interested in Exporters after finding that the quality of the output from the bundled Main Concept encoders are awful and not-to-spec (but hey what do you expect from a bundled consumer level encoder).

YES. If you come up with a killer way to get a decent MPEG2 and H.264 encoder in the AME interface, you will have a sale from me.

Next I W_I_S_H this AE plugin were available as a Premiere Plugin. It's killing me that every clip has to be converted to an After Effects Composition and done over there.

Aw, c'mon... it sounds like you're up the task of figuring a way around that (Anybody remember Elastic Gasket?)

• 10. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                            Rallymax Level 2

>> At the same time I got interested in Exporters after finding that the quality of the output from the >bundled Main Concept encoders are awful and not-to-spec (but hey what do you expect from a bundled >consumer level encoder).

>YES. If you come up with a killer way to get a decent MPEG2 and H.264 encoder in the AME interface, you >will have a sale from me.

I think I found me a beta tester

• 11. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

PM ME! W00t!

• 12. Re: Warp Stabilization example
                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Have you not used the Synthesize Edges option?

Todd...

When I create an AE composition and suddenly find out an image on a background is not big enough for 3D camera tracing, I can jump to Ps and get obviously outstanding output with scaling up to 150%.

Synthesize Edges option is far behind...

Colin Brougham wrote:

Want!

Me too!!!