6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 1:45 PM by Toomany3

Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....

Toomany3 Level 1

I've got a very fast, powerful, awesome PC.  I cut on it like a ninja--it's very fast.  Premiere and my computer really go good together and work at blazing speeds.... at the beginning of a project.  But every time my 30 minute project get close to the end and my timeline/project panel begin to fill up, the program really starts to lag.

Here's the difference:

Beginning (pproj files size >10MB)

arrow key = instant frame move (almost)

space bar = instant play

scrub = real time with audio

End (pproj files size  at end :14MB)

arrow key = 3 seconds to see advance

space bar = same

scrub = just about cant unless I wait 3 seconds for  the image to appear

I'm cutting 7D, 5D and EX1R footage.  Some of it is in 4-cam multicam sequences, but nothitng crazy.  No plugins are on.  Everything works fine till the end when the project is at it's biggest.  This of course is the time that we most need precision cutting since we start trimming out all the fat.

I have my scratch disks set up as per Adobe's reocomendations.

• Main files are on a Raid-5 drive (4 2TB drives)
      • scratch on another 2TB regular drive
      • OS and Premiere on another drive.
      • No shared network drives

I've cleared out all my cache, renders, etc.  No significant difference.  Any other ideas?

Here's my main, final timeline and shots of the (terribly unorganized) project panel.  You can see it's nothing out of the ordinary.  Is 30 minutes too long for Premiere?

Capture.PNG

PP1.PNG

PP2.PNG

PP3.PNG

• 1. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't really have a solution for you, but in general, I've been relatively displeased with H.264 (DSLR and AF100) handling in CS5.5. I don't recall which version you're on, but my totally gut feeling with no empirical evidence whatsoever was that CS5 was better, in general, with this type of media. I'm not even talking about long projects--1 minute web videos and similar get crunchy really fast.

That said, I'm working on an hour-and-a-half 5-camera edit with DVCPROHD 720p, DVCHPROHD 1080p, AVCHD 1080p, and clips from a Drift HD170, and it's been decent. There are something like 700 edits in my sequence, and it's still relatively snappy. My personally belief is that Premiere Pro's handling of DSLR MOVs is a bit frogged in CS5.5; it's a different situation, but Nikon clips are suffering an odd fate right now. Todd mentioned in a thread that some fixes were coming in that area; don't know whether that will mean anything for the Canon footage, or not.

Wish I had a 'hey click this!' style solution for you, but I'm afraid I do not...

• 2. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
            Toomany3 Level 1

I also notice that when I click OUTSIDE of Premiere anywhere and then click back INSIDE, I get the Windows 7 blue spinning thing for about 5-10 seconds before PP becomes available.

I had this issue early on at the release of CS5 and it finally got resolved with a subsequent update.  But now it's happening again.  I have the latest updates, I think.  5.0.3.

EDIT:  I'm on CS5.0.    

• 3. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Just for giggles: first save your project, and launch the Task Manager while Premiere is running (right-click on the taskbar for a shortcut) and go to the Processes tab. Find "Adobe QT32 Server.exe *32" and kill it. Jump back in Premiere and try scrubbing or playing one of your DSLR clips...

• 4. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
                Toomany3 Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

Don't really have a solution for you, but in general, I've been relatively displeased with H.264 (DSLR and AF100) handling in CS5.5. I don't recall which version you're on, but my totally gut feeling with no empirical evidence whatsoever was that CS5 was better, in general, with this type of media. I'm not even talking about long projects--1 minute web videos and similar get crunchy really fast.

Hmm... I glanced over my project again and noticed that on this one it's ONLY Sony EX1 clips with just about 10 total seconds of Canon 7D footage.  So? Not sure if that means anything.

I'm on CS5.0.3.

• 5. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
                  Toomany3 Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

Just for giggles: first save your project, and launch the Task Manager while Premiere is running (right-click on the taskbar for a shortcut) and go to the Processes tab. Find "Adobe QT32 Server.exe *32" and kill it. Jump back in Premiere and try scrubbing or playing one of your DSLR clips...

Ok, just killed it, twice.  There's two instances there.  Maybe helped a little, or just a placebo.

• 6. Re: Every time I begin to fall in love with Premiere again.....
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Placebo, I'm afraid. That was just a test to see if CS5 was falling back to QuickTime for decoding and playback of the DSLR clips, instead of its native importers. If it was, when you killed off QT32 Server, Premiere would have frozen solid when trying to play one of the DSLR clips. Since it didn't you know you're relying on the native 64-bit handlers... which is good, but that eliminates the easy solution.