1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 8:45 PM by John Hawkinson

Script Label iteration (JS - CS4)

lanejd

I am trying to set-up some templates that will be automatically populated using javascript. There are many different templates, but they all have the same types of objects (e.g. a large rectangle at the top). Some templates have mulitple copies of the same document on a single InDesign page (this is for promotional print materials like 3ups, table tents, and the like that will be cut after printing).

Currently I am laying out all the documents in InDesign, using script labels to identify the items that need automated and then saving them as a .indt file that the script will use for the automation process. I would like to keep this type of workflow because it will allow our non-programming designers to continue with their currentl workflow. This works great with the single items, but I have had mixed results iterating through multiple items with the exact same script label.

So, my question is, is it possible to programatically address and differentiate between multiple objects with the exact same script label name?

(The "explainer" part of my brain isn't working very well today so I hope I am making some sense.)

• 1. Re: Script Label iteration (JS - CS4)
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          So, my question is, is it possible to programatically address and differentiate between multiple objects with the exact same script label name?

Yes.

It's hard to be any more specific without your code (preferred) or an explanation of what it does (that'd be nice, too).

But sure, there's no reason objects can't have the same script label. As long as your code doesn't assume they do!