14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 8:49 AM by lehestro

Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5

ProMaxed Level 1

I'm trying to get PP to record audio from a mic. Everything is registering input including studio audio monitors and the mac's internal audio meters are bouncing, but nothing is registering in PP. Here is the setup:

Shure SM58 xlr to dbx mic preamp xlr in. dbx xlr out to M-AUDIO Fast Track Pro xlr in.

Fast Track Pro connected to mac pro via USB (directly, no hub)

Studio Monitors are run off Fast Track Pro via 1/4 bal. lines.

Prem. Pro Prefs audio hardware is set to Fast track pro

Prem Pro audio mixer mic enabled on track two.

Everything is registering audio except Prem Pro. the meters are dead.

I was thinking about running unbalanced RCA Red/White audio out from the MA Fast Track Pro to the analog breakout cable inputs on the Mac Pro's internal Black Magic Intensity Pro card and seeing if that would work. Was thinking it had something to do with the Fast Track Pro being connected by USB.

Final Cut Pro 7 registers the mic audio, but it's been End-of-Lifed, so don't want to use it anymore for any new post.

Thanks in advance for any help.

J.

• 1. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

By default, I don't think you'll see the meters in the Audio Mixer move until you start recording; are you still not seeing them when you record, e.g. is no audio recorded? You can also monitor inputs without recording by clicking the flyout menu (up in the upper right corner) and selecting "Meter Input(s) Only." You should see deflection in the mixer meters then, even without recording.

• 2. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
            ProMaxed Level 1

Hi Colin, no movement when recording, no recorded audio, when playback attempted. Set the flyout to meter inputs... nothing. If I go to the OSX System prefs and click on the Sound panel and tap on the mic the single line meter in the sound panel is registering sound, so sound is going into the mac, but for some reason Premier Pro is not receiving it. OS Sound input and output in System Pref's is set to the Fast Track Pro. Prem. Pro prefs for Audio Hardware are set to Fast Track Pro.

ticks me off.

Thanks for your response, if you can think of anything else, I'd appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Hmm. So, we know the mic, the box, and the computer are working. This is likely just a setting or an unpressed switch in Premiere Pro. So let's review quickly...

You said you've got Audio Hardware in Preference set up to the Fast Track. Check.

Do you have the track enabled for recording? That's the little microphone button in the Audio Mixer, associated with the track you want to record into. At least on my computer (Windows), if I enable that and set Meter Input(s) Only, I see deflection in the armed track meters.

Next, you have to enable recording; that's the red record button (duh) in the Audio Mixer. That doesn't actually start recording, though...

Finally, you click the Play button in the Audio Mixer; now you'll begin recording into whatever track is enabled.

(I'm sure you've already done all this, but just want to itemize the steps so we're ruling everything out.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                ProMaxed Level 1

Premier pro documentation references something about using the Audio MIDI setup utility in the Utilities folder, if you're trying to use a USB mic. This is an Apple utility that comes in the OS. I'm wondering if this needs to be setup somehow due to the Fast Track Pro interfacing with the Mac Pro via USB... ???

It's probably something really stupid and easy. I'm thinking maybe the easiest thing would be to run unbalanced RCA from the Fast track pro to the input of the BM card via the BM breakout cable.

I can't be the only one who ever had this problem, or yeah, maybe I could.

• 5. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  I'm wondering if this needs to be setup somehow due to the Fast Track Pro interfacing with the Mac Pro via USB... ???

Ah, now I see that in the help. Yeah, you should probably try that--as far as Premiere Pro is concerned, your Fast Track Pro is a USB mic. That will probably get you up to speed.

My only other thought is that perhaps the BM's inputs are sabotaging the mic, but I'd look into the above first.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                    ProMaxed Level 1

Yep, done all that. Nothing gets recorded, meters show no life.

• 7. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                      ProMaxed Level 1

I hadn't tried the MIDI setup yet. The instructions in PP online docs are outdated. The MIDI interface and controls have changed. I'll mess with it tomorrow. I'm thinking too that it might just be easier to try running unbal. signal from the FTP to the inputs on the BM card.. URRRRRGGGGG. Ahhh sleep on it. Thanks

• 8. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

The instructions in PP online docs are outdated. The MIDI interface and controls have changed.

That's a bummer. I assume you're talking about this: Set up a USB microphone (Mac OS)? If it's not right, be sure to leave a comment there so the documentation guys can update it with the correct information; I suspect that we're going to be getting a few more former FCPers than normal, and some will be wondering the same

• 9. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                          ProMaxed Level 1

Thanks Colin,

Thats correct on the link to set up a USB mic. I concur that PP is seeing my Fast Track Pro interface as a USB mic. I'm going to try to set up the MIDI thing today. I'll be making detailed notes on this with screenshots. I do this and post it to our internal help system. I'll also post it here and in the comments of the PP online tech docs for other former FCP expatriates. And yes, I can tell you that you will be seeing 10's of thousands of new faces in these forums, as Apple has so brilliantly alienated their entire global pro video market share with the latest upgrade to FCP, that is unusable for 98% of the pro edit community world wide. Very bewildering...

I'll post back with my progress -- or lack thereof

Thanks again for your help. Oh, nice Avatar pic... reminds me of Monty Python, Mr. Gumby, My Brain Hurts:

• 10. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                            I'll be making detailed notes on this with screenshots. I do this and post it to our internal help system. I'll also post it here and in the comments of the PP online tech docs for other former FCP expatriates.

Thanks for that! We need folks like you who are able to speak both languages

Python! Nice one

• 11. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                              ProMaxed Level 1

Just wanted to quick post that I've solved this riddle and will be posting my results asap.

• 12. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                                ProMaxed Level 1

While I have solved the problem, there is too much to post regarding this issue, and is really is specific to my editing configuration. So, I'm just going to leave it as is. However, if anyone needs help in the future with a pertinent problem, I'll stay subscribed to this topic, and will be happy to lend a helping hand. My thanks to all who replied and helped.

J.

• 13. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                                  trellis3000

Hey J,

I was wondering what your solution was? I actually just posted a new discusion on the forum about my issue, here it is.

"Hello,

I have been searching for answer for a while and have found none. My Microsoft LifeChat lx-3000 will not work with premiere pro. It does work on the mac, and in Final cut..but final cut is terrible and I would like to record in premier.

Things I have done:

1. gone to premier pro>preferences>audio hardwear

- In this menu I selected the "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000" as my default device

- in the Audio mixer I changed "Audio 3" to "Touch" hit the Microphone button and nothing happened, when I switch the input to "built in" premier recognizes the built in mic and allows me to record using this...but that one sound really bad.

2. I also went to Utilities>Audio Midi Setup

- here I selected Premeir Pro cs5 and checked the box next to the "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000" to indicate that Premier would use this device.

- still does not work, and every time I open the Audio Midi Setup the box next to "microsoft LifeChat LX-3000" is unchecked....not sure why it wont save.

I am at a lose, if anyone has any suggestions or has dealt with this problem i am all ears...if this has already been covered in another thread, point me in the direction!

Thanks for your time everyone!!"

Thanks,

Willis

• 14. Re: Can't get mic audio into PP CS5.5
                                    lehestro Level 1

So it has been some years, yet I'm having your exact same problem. Do you remember what you did? You said it was too complicated to post. Can you message me, perhaps, then? This is an ongoing issue well into Premiere CC.