1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 5:31 PM by Joel Cherney

Synchronize InDesign and Excel data

graphicsoc Level 1

Hello there! I am making a catalog with pricing and text information. Just curious if there is a way to bind your excel data to a textframe. For example, once you have placed your text frames with the text information and later you decided to change the prices but I don't want to manually update it one by one. Is there a way to tie this data to a textframe and later if I change my data on the excel file I will be able to pull the new information?

Please let us know. Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Synchronize InDesign and Excel data
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are ways to do this, but it sounds to me like you really want a catalog plugin of some sort. (That you'd have to pay for, of course.) It depends on how often you need the data to update - are you willing to relink/update a csv file to update all prices all at once? If so, perhaps you don't need a commercial plug-in; look into the built-in Data Merge tool in InDesign.

But, if you're expecting to use your Excel file as-is without any pre-processing, your options are more limited. You can import named ranges of Excel files; I've seen that described on the forums but have never tried it myself.