7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 5:27 AM by Colin Brougham

Default Transition Not Always Working

ExactImage Level 3

I use CMD+D quite a lot to save time dragging the Cross Dissolve to clips.   But, it sometimes just doesn't work.  I can sit hitting CMD+D as much as I want (with the CTI on the cut) and nothing happens.  If there was nothing to cross dissolve with I'd understand, but if I drag the Cross Dissolve manually and drop it in place the dissolve is perfectly OK.

So, in what circumstances will CMD+D not do anything yet dragging the Cross Dissolve works fine?   It's frustrating not knowing when it will and won't work.

• 1. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
          Colin Brougham Level 6

So, in what circumstances will CMD+D not do anything yet dragging the Cross Dissolve works fine?

Ctrl/Cmd+D will not drop a video transition (or Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+D for audio) if you don't have the desired track(s) targeted. Those are the selectors at the left end of the Timeline panel; those labeled Video 1, Video 2, Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. are those that control where transitions are applied. The track selectors also dictate which tracks are subject to the Previous Edit (PgUp)/Next Edit (PgDn) commands; tie those together and you can fly through adding transitions...

...or, if you have a pile of video transitions to add, hold down Alt (maybe Opt on Mac? can't recall...) and select the video clips or video portions of clips you want to transition between. You don't even need to have the track targeted; just go to Sequence > Apply Default Transitions to Selection, and video transitions will be applied. If you don't "solo" the video portions, this command will also simultaneously add audio transitions, so you can be as selective as you need to be.

You can also copy and paste transitions, so if you've customized one, e.g. direction of a wipe, you can quickly apply it using the first method (Previous/Next Edit and Paste).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
            ExactImage Level 3

Thanks Colin.  Helpful as ever.  I did learn something about applying to selected clips - so that's much appreciated.  

However, if I moving along (say) track 1 adding default transitions (CMD+D) to clips and then I hit some clips (on the same selected track) that CMD+D doesn't apply the transition to (the track is still selected and I can still drag & drop the transition) what could cause that not to work for this pair of clips? 

Seems odd and I can't figure it out.

• 3. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Two possibilities I can think of:

1. There is a small gap between the clips.
              2. There are no handles on the outgoing or incoming clip with which to create a transition. You need X number of frames of overlap between the two clips to generate a transition. However, even with that, Premiere Pro will still create the transition; it will warn you that it's going to duplicate frames to create the transition (essentially a freeze frame). So, I'm leaning toward the first...
              • 4. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
                ExactImage Level 3

Hmmm.... No gaps and as I said in my first post, I can drag the Cross Dissolve to the clips and it works perfectly.  There are plenty of handles on both clips so that's not the cause.

• 5. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Is this a project you started from scratch in Premiere Pro, or is an FCP XML import?

• 6. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
                    ExactImage Level 3

From scratch.    All 5D2 footage with some AE stabilized sections.  Colour correction in Colorista II on all these clips.

• 7. Re: Default Transition Not Always Working
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Is it the AE segments giving trouble, or just transitions between regular clips?