20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 9:27 AM by cecozzy

Help w. Text Frames in Master Page

cecozzy

Hi

I need to make a simple task, yet it seems impossible.

I am making a large number of documents of the same type and stlye. Lets say, something like a diploma or a certificate. They all have the same design, and the only thing that is different in them is the text in the 2 text boxes each one of them has. Lets say if we follow the certificate example that on each card I must put in the same two text boxes - "the name of the person" and "the date". So I must set a nice master page with 2 text boxes that I can fill in for each card. Since the design may change, I need to be able to move the positions of the boxes from the master page after I have filled them. I must also be able to change the case, font and other text properties of each box. For example, I when I would have done 1000 certificates and filled in respectively 1000 names and dates of receiving and then I would decide that I must place the box with the name on a different position on the page and also change the text properties, say from Times New Roman to Georgia. And to do it from the master page or any other effective way without changing each certificate.

So far, I managed to place the boxes on the master page, and I saw that I can overwrite the text in each certificate and still be able to move the position of all boxes from the master page. But I cannot find a way to change the text properties of all boxes.

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
          Migintosh Level 4

First, you should only place text within these frames on the document pages. If you have text that won't change and is on every page, it's OK to put it on the master page, but if you want to fill the text frames on the document page, it's best to leave them blank on the master page.

Here's a little about master text frames. As you have found out, you have to release them on the document page to make changes. Filling a master frame on a document page is one way to release it, but you don't necessarily have to release every aspect. For example, if you don't move or change the shape or dimensions of the frame, any changes you make to the frame on the master page will reflect in the document pages. But, if you move or otherwise edit the frame on the document page, it will act the same as a frame you created on the document page.

cecozzy wrote:

But I cannot find a way to change the text properties of all boxes.

I'm not sure what you want to do, but given what I have said earlier, can you elaborate?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To change the text properties of the new text on all pages at once, assign a paragraph style to your master-page text. Then just alter the paragraph style to change all certificates at once.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
              cecozzy Level 1

HI,

Thanks for helping! I will elaborate.

It is very simple, maybe I have difficulties conveying the message.

I need to make, say, 1000 document pages with the same format, but of course with different content. The documents have, say, only 2 text boxes - one on top and one on bottom. Lets say at the top of the page there should be a box with the person's name and on the bottom a box with his family name. So one design, 2 boxes and every document has different names in those boxes.

But, at some point after I would have filled the names, I may decide that the top box with the name is not sitting well there and want it to be in the center. I may also decide that I have chosen a large font and style and change. So I would like to move all the boxes with the names in the center and to change their font and style to a new one. That is all. It is very simple, yet difficult.

Of course, on the master page I would not put any text because I must have a different name in each new document.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks again, you would help me so much if you can.

By the way I have just inserted a photo in the document and it looks just like a grey rectangle. Can you help me on that too?

Thanks so much!

• 4. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                Grant H Level 4
                First, you should only place text within these frames on the document pages

not entirly true.

Put the text box that will move on 1000 pages on the master page with place holder text assigned with a paragraph/character style.

On the relevent doc pages that will have the unique info (eg name) command-shift click the text frame to overide... then type in new info. DONT MOVE THE BOX!!! go back to the master page, move the text box there! NB! and viola all instances of the text box will have moved including the one you entered other info.  The same applies to Case/font changes... do it on the MASTER page...

G

• 5. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                  Grant H Level 4
                  By the way I have just inserted a photo in the document and it looks just like a grey rectangle. Can you help me on that too?

please Post as new topic and give more details... tx

G

• 6. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                    Migintosh Level 4

The trick is to not move the text frame on the document page, or you will have to move each one individually. If you want to move all of them, move the one on the master page. If it's just some, you will have to move the ones on the document pages and lose the connection to the master page.

And you need to use styles if you want to make one change that will change everything. One paragraph style should do it, unless you want different text attributes within a paragraph. In that case, apply character styles to the different bits. And don't override the styles locally.

• 7. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page

If you don't want to put any placeholder text in the boxes on the master page, you can still build you paragraph style the the  Typeface, Size, Alignment, ect that you think you want, and then just apply the style to the empty text frame.

Afterwards, may any styling changes you want in the paragraph style, not in the actual text.

• 8. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page

about the grey box

Check under View > Display Performance

If it's set to Fast Display, change it to Typical Display or High Quality Display

• 9. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                          Migintosh Level 4

Grant H wrote:

First, you should only place text within these frames on the document pages

not entirly true.

You know, that's not all that I wrote. Did you read the rest of the paragraph?

"If you have text that won't change and is on every page, it's OK to put  it on the master page, but if you want to fill the text frames on the  document page, it's best to leave them blank on the master page."

And what is the advantage to using placeholder text on the master page if the OP is going to enter all the necessary text on the document page?

Grant H wrote:

DONT MOVE THE BOX!!!

I already said that too.

• 10. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                            Grant H Level 4

see my first post

G

• 11. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                              Grant H Level 4
                              And what is the advantage to using placeholder text on the master page if the OP is going to enter all the necessary text on the document page?

something like: Name Surname.  besides for the visual clue on doc pages he can apply a style on the master page with the PH text and get a good feel for what the "eg: font weight or whatever" will look like...

G

• 12. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                cecozzy Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for the valuable answer. Still something is wrong though.

I placed an empty text box in my master page. I assigned a paragraph style to it. (I typed some text to see the style is really there and it changes with the change of styles). So then I have the empty textbox with the style in it. Then I go to the documents and press ctr+shift and the box and I write a word. It does come in the correct style. But....when I go back to my master page text box and change the style to a different one, the word I have filled in before in the document does not go in the new style.

Do you see anything wrong with what I do, because I should work...

Thank again a lot

• 13. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page

I think the problem is that you are changing the style to a different one.

What you need to do to make this work is redefine the existing style. You can do this by adjusting your text on the master page, and then with it still selected, choose Redefine Style from the menu in the Paragraph styles pallet. This way, you are changing the definition of the style that is already applied to the text on the document pages.

• 14. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                    cecozzy Level 1

I have the feeling that I am going wrong with the part of you saying - and dont override locally. How can I type in the empty text box in the document without overriding the master-page text box?

Thanks again a million!

• 15. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                      Grant H Level 4

create and apply an object style for the text frame on the master page with paragraph styles checked...

G

if you are creating the styles BEFORE you change/overide the type in the doc pages it should work irrespective.... delete the frame in the doc page/drag the master page (that has the style formatting saved) on to the doc page and start again...

G

• 16. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page

cecozzy wrote:

I have the feeling that I am going wrong with the part of you saying - and dont override locally. How can I type in the empty text box in the document without overriding the master-page text box?

Thanks again a million!

If you set up all the attributes you want you text to have in a named Paragraph Style, which you then apply to your text box on the master page, you can make changes to the Style Sheet, not to the text itself. Because all the text boxes on your doucment pages will be looking at the Style Sheet for fomatting, chaging it will change every instance of that style.

• 17. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                          Grant H Level 4

if you apply the object style on the master page as I've suggested, even if you move the doc text frame after that the text formatting you apply on the master para style will update to the doc text frame.

• 18. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                            cecozzy Level 1

Thank you ALL so much, but most of all THANK YOU SRiegel!

It worked. Finally!

You were right in the last explanation. When I first make the master-page text box (empty in my case, but nevertheless with a chosen style) and then I apply it and when I go and write in the document everything is OK. It was not OK if I went back to the master page and applied a different style. I would do that but it would only apply to the text boxes in the doc which I had not touched before. The ones I had filled did noth change format. But, if after I fill them, I go back and on the Paragraph pane I go and edit the style, instead of changing it, it works. I guess, if you touch a text box in the doc it remains connected to the initial style you have applied to the master box.

Thank you again to all of you. If someone is located in Bulgaria I would buy him a beer

I can work effectively now and again a big thanks to SRiegel!

• 19. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                              peter minneapolis Level 4

cecozzy wrote:

Hi

I need to make a simple task, yet it seems impossible.

I am making a large number of documents of the same type and stlye. Lets say, something like a diploma or a certificate. They all have the same design, and the only thing that is different in them is the text in the 2 text boxes each one of them has. Lets say if we follow the certificate example that on each card I must put in the same two text boxes - "the name of the person" and "the date". So I must set a nice master page with 2 text boxes that I can fill in for each card. Since the design may change, I need to be able to move the positions of the boxes from the master page after I have filled them. I must also be able to change the case, font and other text properties of each box. For example, I when I would have done 1000 certificates and filled in respectively 1000 names and dates of receiving and then I would decide that I must place the box with the name on a different position on the page and also change the text properties, say from Times New Roman to Georgia. And to do it from the master page or any other effective way without changing each certificate.

So far, I managed to place the boxes on the master page, and I saw that I can overwrite the text in each certificate and still be able to move the position of all boxes from the master page. But I cannot find a way to change the text properties of all boxes.

Thank you for your help!

With a long list of data items, you could consider using data merge. You'd need a template document; on its page create a placeholder text frame for each data item, like name and date, if they'll need individual positioning. Put a data placeholder in each frame. (It's also possible to insert multiple merge placeholders in a single frame.) You'd also need paragraph styles. If you have material that is the same on every page, put that on a master page in the merge template.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign data merge tutorial," and similar phrases, without quotes, for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 20. Re: Help w. Text Frames in Master Page
                                                cecozzy Level 1

Thanks my friend.

They already helped me solve it, but thanks for helping as well.

Cheers!