4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 11:24 AM by MystiMac

how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5

MystiMac Level 1

Once again, I fell for the recommendation to install a third-party plug-in: Amazon kindlegen plug-in for indesign CS5.5. It has caused my INDDCS5.5 to not be able to load. I want to remove this kindlegen plug-in. I saw on one forum (not adobe forum) some very tecchie/geekie instructions, involving yet another program to be installed to remove kindlegen. Does anyone here know some easier way to get rid of the thing?

This is the link I found with all the uber-geeky stuff to fix it. Waaay over my head: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96903

• 1. Re: how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First thing to do is see if it was installed through the Adobe Extensions Manager. If it's listed there, just remove it. If it isn't in the list, the extnesion manager isn't managing it, so it's probably OK to just navigate to your plugins folder to locate and delete it.

• 2. Re: how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5
            MystiMac Level 1

Thanks, Peter. I'd already deleted the kindlegen folder. Nothing is listed in the Adobe Extensions Manager. Then I uninstalled Indesign, CS5.5, did a ccleaner on the registry, restarted, tried again to install indd CS5 -- won't launch. I'm out of patience. Oye! That plus the damage done when trying to fix the damage done by sigil text editor... I actually went out and bought a new computer. I don't have more time to lose on this. The recommendations for third party plug-ins, via Anne Marie, have cost me a bundle.

-

Peter Spier <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

First thing to do is see if it was installed through the Adobe Extensions Manager. If it's listed there, just remove it. If it isn't in the list, the extnesion manager isn't managing it, so it's probably OK to just navigate to your plugins folder to locate and delete it.

>

• 3. Re: how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5
              chrisrobweeks Level 1

I realize it has been over 2 years since the OP, but my Kindle plug-in was acting up and I only just successfully removed it. The problem I faced was:

• The Kindle plug-in simply did not do what I wanted. I had much more success creating an epub using Terminal as per the tutorial on IBM
              • After that point, any time I opened a .indd file, a prompt would come up telling me to update the plugin, but neither Yes nor No would do anything, forcing a Force Quit. For some reason, opening InDesign by itself did not cause a problem

Removing the Kindle plugin from Applications/Adobe CS5/InDesign/Plugins did not solve the problem. Instead, I did a quick search for Kindle and removed the Export for Kindle from the SCRIPTS folder. This did the trick! Hope this helps people in the future!

• 4. Re: how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5
                MystiMac Level 1

Kindlegen always caused problems for me. IMHO, a horrible program. I just stick to InDesign "export for epub" option. And then Amazon, B&N, et. al., can do the rest (like, Amazon converting to their mobi format when you upload an epub file to kdp.amazon.com.

~Karen

-

Zagmathustra <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

Zagmathustra http://forums.adobe.com/people/Zagmathustra created the discussion

"Re: how to remove kindlegen plug-in in InddCS5.5"

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6227544#6227544