13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2011 8:41 PM by s.mahn

Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?

s.mahn Level 2

I'm trying to incorporate Dr Brown's: CS5 Script: Edit Layers in ACR (http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html)

into an existing workflow, not of my choosing.

Here is my delemna. I am provided CMYK PSD files, and my final saved files need to be CMYK PSD.

ACR via Bridge wants TIFFs, Dr Brown's script wants RGB. I know I can batch convert to TIFFs or RGB if needed, but I'm thinking an action/script run within each open file might be simpler and less prone to error or forgetfulness, as each image will be individually opened and retouched anyway.

The way I'm handling this manually is as follows:

Open CMYK PSD.

Duplicate Image

Convert Dupe to RGB

Run the "Layers in ACR" script on RGB Dupe

Make and OK changes in ACR

Drag+Shift+Drop resultant layer from RGB Dupe into original CMKY document (centered)

Close Dupe without saving

This gives me a new ACR'ed layer to blend/mask into my original file as needed.

I've tried to action those steps and everything works fine thru ACR...but...the action isn't actually bringing the Dupe/ACR'ed Layer over to the Original document (the drag and drop). The ACR'ed Dupe is being closed while the Original file is left unchaged.

How can I automate the transfer of the Dupe layer to the Original?

• 1. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

s.mahn wrote:

The way I'm handling this manually is as follows:

Open CMYK PSD.

Duplicate Image

Convert Dupe to RGB

Run the "Layers in ACR" script on RGB Dupe

Make and OK changes in ACR

Drag+Shift+Drop resultant layer from RGB Dupe into original CMKY document (centered)

Close Dupe without saving

I have not downloaded and installed Dr Browns script all I have done is to look at his tutorial and I have some questions for you. This CMYK PSD document you dupe and convert to RGB mode is it a single layer PSD or does it contain more then one layer. If more then one layer are you only interested in one of them for the script seems to only support a single layer at a time which the script seems to saves as a Tiff single layer file that the script delete the original layer then places the single layer Tiff file it save in as a smart object tiff layer and may add a layer mask to it. This Smart Object will open up in ACR if double clicked on because you set your Photoshop to open tiff files with ACR.

When you drag the RGB Smart Object layer into your CMYK Document how are you color setting set for profile miss matches wit drag drop?   Photoshop does not support a document with layers that have different color profiles.  My concern is If this tiff smart object layer has been converted to a CMYK layers what happens even if the action would work with the drag drop. For ACR is an RGB thing if you open a CMYK Tiff file with ACR, ACR will want to convert it to RGB before opening the image. Photoshop may not support the double mode changes it would need to do to update the smart objecgt layer. ACR being a RGB thing may be the reason the script does not support CMYK in the first place. Perhaps you could rastersize that smart object layer after working on in ACR in the dupe document and convert back to CMYK mode before dragging the normal layer over the your original CMYK document.

In other words I do not understand what your trying to accomplish or How a CMYK TIFF smart object would behave inside of a CMYK document if your preferences is set to open tiff files in ACR and you double clicked on the smart object.

I did a quick test and placed a rgb Tiff into a CMYK document and double clicked on it and ACR opened without problem so the SMART object still seem to be RGB and easy to update in ACR and the smart object is updated and the image rendered CMYK.  Photoshop what do I know???

I may just have to download the script install it ant try to create the action you want....

Message was edited by: JJMack

• 2. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

OK I downloaded the script and tried to create the action you wanted to create.  Your observation is correct and I seem remember running into the drag and drop problem before.  It seems that drop of a layer from an other document is one of those thing that can not be recorded. For when you do it all that is recorded is the select of the previous document and no event is recorded for the actual drop let go of the mouse. There also seems to be no way to insert a drop into an action.

However I was able to record an action that I believe accomplishes what you want to do. Since the script only works on a single layer you must be interested in a single layer in your PSD and because of the way you manually do it now it seems you want to keep the original layer and want a smart object version of the layer on top of this layer or some other place in the layer stack because you drag it in from a duped document without deleting the original layer in the orignal document.

Because you can not record a drop of a layer from an other document I took a different approach.  You first select the layer your interested in then play the action.  During the recording of the action you will receive several pop-up messages when you do: Don't use Rastersize option use Don't Rastersize,  don't use the flatten option use Don't Flatten, just don't do anything but continue the process don't stop any process.  When you play the action there will be no pop-up massages and no user intervention will be required other then the ACR dialog. The action steps are:

1) Dupe current layer

2) Image>Mode>RGB

3) Menu Script>Dr. Brown's Edit Layer in ACR (you will need to complete the ACR Dialog)

4) Image>Mode>CMYK

It seem to work and when you double click on the smart object layer ACR does open.....

• 3. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
              Michael L Hale Level 5
              How can I automate the transfer of the Dupe layer to the Original?

The function below will dupe the layer to the original document without using layer or document names so you can include it in your action. Note it works by document order but works with your workflow.

function dupeActiveLayerToDocument() {
                   var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
                      var ref = new ActionReference();
                      ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Lyr '), charIDToTypeID('Ordn'), charIDToTypeID('Trgt') );
                  desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID('null'), ref );
                      var docRef = new ActionReference();
                   docRef.putOffset( charIDToTypeID('Dcmn'), -1 );
                  desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID('T   '), docRef );
                  desc.putInteger( charIDToTypeID('Vrsn'), 5 );
                  executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Dplc'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
              };

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                s.mahn Level 2

Michael and JJ, I didn't get a chance to work on this today. Will give a try tomorow.

Just wanted to give a quick thanks for what you've put into this already.

• 5. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                  s.mahn Level 2

Hi Michael,

I'm having trouble with your script. I not sure which document should be active when I run it: the original or the dupe, but it's not working from either. I select the script from: File>Scripts, but nothing happens, as confirmed by the history pallet.

I think I've saved it correctly. Just to be sure, this is a screenshot of it taken after opening it (double clicking on jsx file) from my PS Presets>Scripts folder.

Any suggestions?

Dupe to Orig.jpg

• 6. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                    Michael L Hale Level 5

Sorry the code I posted is a function. To use it as a script you need to add the line below to the code I posted.

dupeActiveLayerToDocument();

That will call the function and run the code inside it. It is designed for the layer to be move be in the active document and selected. It then dupes that layer to document that was open or created just prior to the active document. That is if you open your CMYK doc then dupe the document it will copy the layer back to the CMYK document.

I noted that it uses document order because if you open several document at once it may not copy to the correct document. I said that mostly for others that might use the function.

However, I had a look at the script from Dr. Brown. It can be modified to work with CMYK documents. So I e-mailed Dr. Brown and asked if it was ok with him for me to modify the script and post it here. He said yes and asked that I correct an issue that he has discovered with the script. I am working on that now and should be able to post a version of Edit Layers in ACR that will work with both RGB and CMYK documents tomorrow.

• 7. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                      s.mahn Level 2

That's really exciting news! Thanks so much. And the Script in the interim is great too, which I'll be able to use in more instances than just this.

Many, many thanks

• 8. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                        Michael L Hale Level 5

I made a good many changes to Dr Borwns Edit Layers in ACR script. Here are a few of the more important changes.

1. Now supports RGB, CMYK, Lab, and Grayscale color modes. If the document is not RGB the embedded tiff is converted to RGB using Photohsop's working RGB profile.

2. Now supports vector masks.

3. The density and feather settings from the mask panel are now retained for both channel and vector masks.

4. Now keeps the original layer name.

5. Only uses one history state.

This is a CS5 script. It may work in CS4 but I didn't test.

On my system when the document canvas size get above around 20 to 25 mps ACR really slows down. Much above that and it either takes much too long or crashes. So I would say that this script is not designed for documents with really large canvas sizes in high res.

I could not find a way to replace the contents of a smart object with a tiff file and not have the ACR dialog show when the ACR setting are set to edit all tiffs in ACR. Because of that it really can't be recorded by an action, the ACR dialog will always show. If you install the script in the scripts folder it can be called from an action like any other script. It just will not work in batch mode.

The transparent layer support is still not ideal because ACR does not support transparency. If this were my script I would drop transparent layer support instead of trying to force ACR to do something is was not designed to do.

// c2011 Adobe Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
                        // Produced and Directed by Dr. Brown ( a.k.a Russell Preston Brown )
                        // Written by Tom Ruark because I wrote listener! I get credit for all listener code.

/*
                        @@@BUILDINFO@@@ Dr Browns Edit Layer in ACR.jsx 1.1.1
                        */

// enable double clicking from the Macintosh Finder or the Windows Explorer
                        #target photoshop

// save some state so we can restore
                        // we pop the ACR dialog so users can cancel out and we are in a bad state
                        var historyDocument = app.activeDocument;
                        var historyState = app.activeDocument.activeHistoryState;
                        var isCancelled = true;

app.activeDocument.suspendHistory( 'Dr Browns Edit Layer in ACR', 'EditLayerInACR();');
                        if( isCancelled ){
                             if (historyDocument != app.activeDocument) {
                                  app.activeDocument.close( SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES );
                             }
                             app.activeDocument = historyDocument;
                             app.activeDocument.activeHistoryState = historyState;
                        }
                        isCancelled ? 'cancel' : undefined;// do not localize cancel

function EditLayerInACR(){
                        // Show this message just once. 
                        // If I have preferences then I must of done this already.
                        var message = "Special Instructions\r";
                        message += "Make sure that you have set your Camera Raw Preferences to the following setting:\r";
                        message += "(Automatically open all supported TIFFs)\r";
                        message += "To access this preference setting, go to your Main Menu and select: Photoshop/Preferences/Camera Raw\r";
                        message += " \rAlso, your default resolution for TIFF images in ACR must be set to 240ppi. If you see your layers change in size, then you know that your resolution is not set correctly.\r";
                        message += "";

var optionsID = "5714ecb5-8b21-4327-bf64-135d24ea7131";
                        var showMessage = true;
                        try {
                            var desc = app.getCustomOptions(optionsID);
                            showMessage = false;
                        }
                        catch(e) {
                            showMessage = true;
                        }

if (showMessage) {
                            alert(message);
                            desc.putInteger(charIDToTypeID('ver '), 1);
                            app.putCustomOptions(optionsID, desc);
                        }

var tempName = "Raw Smart Temp";
                        var tempFile = new File( Folder.temp.toString() + "/" + tempName + ".tif" );

try {

// make sure active layer is a normal art layer
                        if( app.activeDocument.activeLayer.typename != 'ArtLayer' || app.activeDocument.activeLayer.kind != LayerKind.NORMAL ) return 'cancel';

// change image res to match defalut ACR 240
                        if( app.activeDocument.resolution != 240 ) {
                             var docRes = app.activeDocument.resolution;
                             app.activeDocument.resizeImage(undefined, undefined, 240, ResampleMethod.NONE);
                        }

var channelMask = hasChannelMask();
                        var vectorMask = hasVectorMask();
                        var layerTransparency = HasLayerTransparency();

// save channel mask if exists
                        if( channelMask && !layerTransparency ) {
                             var channelMaskSettings = getChannelMaskSettings();
                            var tempAlpha = channelMaskToAlphaChannel();
                             deleteChannelMask();
                        }
                        // save vector mask if exists
                        if( vectorMask && !layerTransparency ) {
                             var vectorMaskSettings = getVectorMaskSettings();
                            app.activeDocument.pathItems[app.activeDocument.pathItems.length-1].duplicate( 'tempPath' );
                             app.activeDocument.pathItems[app.activeDocument.pathItems.length-1].remove();
                        }
                        if( layerTransparency ) {
                             if( channelMask ){// apply existing channel mask
                                ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Msk ') );
                                  desc.putBoolean( charIDToTypeID('Aply'), true );
                                  executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Dlt '), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                             }
                             if( vectorMask ) {// save existing vector mask
                                  var vectorMaskSettings = getVectorMaskSettings();
                                  app.activeDocument.pathItems[app.activeDocument.pathItems.length-1].duplicate( 'tempPath' );
                                  app.activeDocument.pathItems[app.activeDocument.pathItems.length-1].remove();
                             }
                             var transMask = layerTransparencyToAlpha();
                             // stamp visible
                            desc.putBoolean( charIDToTypeID('Dplc'), true );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('MrgV'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                             // merge down
                             executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Mrg2'), undefined, DialogModes.NO );
                        }

convertLayerToACRSmartObject();

// create a  channel mask from original layer transparency
                        // currently does not support a layer with transparency and existing channels mask.
                        if( layerTransparency ) {
                             alphaToChannelMask( transMask );
                             transMask.remove();
                             if( vectorMask ) {
                                  app.activeDocument.pathItems['tempPath'].select();
                                  createVectorMask();
                                  setVectorMaskDensity( vectorMaskSettings.density );
                                  setVectorMaskFeather( vectorMaskSettings.feather );
                                  app.activeDocument.pathItems['tempPath'].remove();
                             }
                        }
                        // restore channel mask if needed
                        if( channelMask && !layerTransparency ) {
                             alphaToChannelMask( tempAlpha );
                             setChannelMaskDensity( channelMaskSettings.density );
                             setChannelMaskFeather( channelMaskSettings.feather );
                             tempAlpha.remove();
                        }
                        // restore vector mask if needed
                        if( vectorMask && !layerTransparency ) {
                             app.activeDocument.pathItems['tempPath'].select();
                             createVectorMask();
                             setVectorMaskDensity( vectorMaskSettings.density );
                             setVectorMaskFeather( vectorMaskSettings.feather );
                             app.activeDocument.pathItems['tempPath'].remove();
                        }

// well at least this is the same!
                        // replace contents of selected smart object
                        desc.putPath( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), tempFile );
                        executeAction( stringIDToTypeID( "placedLayerReplaceContents" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );

tempFile.remove();

// convert back to orginal resolution
                        if( docRes != undefined ) app.activeDocument.resizeImage(undefined, undefined, docRes, ResampleMethod.NONE);

isCancelled = false;// no errors so save to record
                        } /* try block ender */
                        catch(e) {
                             if( tempFile.exists ) tempFile.remove();
                        }

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                        /////////////////////// functions below /////////////////////////
                        //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// see if i can tell that this layer has transparent pixels
                        function HasLayerTransparency() {
                            var hasTransparency = false;
                             if( app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer ) return false;
                            try {
                                SelectLayerTransparency();
                                var s = activeDocument.selection;
                                if ( null != s && ! s.solid ) {
                                    activeDocument.selection.deselect();
                                    return true;
                                }
                                if ( (s[2].value - s[0].value) == activeDocument.width.value && 
                                     (s[3].value - s[1].value) == activeDocument.height.value) {
                                    return false;
                                }
                            }
                            catch(e) {
                                hasTransparency = false;
                            }
                            return hasTransparency;
                        };
                        function SelectLayerTransparency() {
                                ref.putProperty( charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ), charIDToTypeID( "fsel" ) );
                            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
                                ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ), charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ), charIDToTypeID( "Trsp" ) );
                            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "T   " ), ref );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "setd" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                        };
                        function SaveAsTIFF( inFileName ) {
                             var tiffSaveOptions = new TiffSaveOptions();
                             tiffSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
                             tiffSaveOptions.imageCompression = TIFFEncoding.TIFFLZW;
                             tiffSaveOptions.alphaChannels =  false;
                             tiffSaveOptions.layers = false;
                             app.activeDocument.saveAs( new File( inFileName ), tiffSaveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE );
                        };
                        // a color mode independent way to make the component channel active. 
                        function selectComponentChannel() {
                            try{
                                var map = {};
                                map[DocumentMode.GRAYSCALE] = charIDToTypeID('Blck');// grayscale
                                map[DocumentMode.RGB] = charIDToTypeID('RGB ');
                                map[DocumentMode.CMYK] = charIDToTypeID('CMYK');
                                map[DocumentMode.LAB] = charIDToTypeID('Lab ');
                                    ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), map[app.activeDocument.mode] );
                                executeAction( charIDToTypeID('slct'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                            }catch(e){}
                        };
                        // function to see if there is a raster layer mask, returns true or false
                        function hasChannelMask(){
                             ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("Lyr "), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") ); 
                             return executeActionGet( ref ).getBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( 'hasUserMask' ) );
                        };
                        // function to see if there is a vector layer mask, returns true or false
                        function hasVectorMask(){
                             ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("Lyr "), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") ); 
                             return executeActionGet( ref ).getBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( 'hasVectorMask' ) );
                        };
                        // create an new alpha from layer channel mask, returns channel object.
                        function channelMaskToAlphaChannel() {
                                ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Msk ') );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Dplc'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                            var dupedMask = app.activeDocument.activeChannels[0];
                            selectComponentChannel();
                            return dupedMask;
                        };
                        function deleteChannelMask() {
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Dlt '), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                        };
                        // creates a layer channel mask from a channel object
                        function alphaToChannelMask( alpha ) {
                            desc.putClass( charIDToTypeID( "Nw  " ), charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ) );
                                ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ), charIDToTypeID( "Chnl" ), charIDToTypeID( "Msk " ) );
                            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "At  " ), ref );
                            desc.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Usng" ), charIDToTypeID( "UsrM" ), charIDToTypeID( "RvlA" ) );
                             executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "Mk  " ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                            desc.putBoolean( charIDToTypeID('MkVs'), false );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('slct'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                                var desc1 = new ActionDescriptor();
                                    ref.putName( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), alpha.name );
                                desc1.putReference( charIDToTypeID('T   '), ref );
                                desc1.putBoolean( charIDToTypeID('PrsT'), true );
                            desc.putObject( charIDToTypeID('With'), charIDToTypeID('Clcl'), desc1 );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('AppI'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                        };
                        // creates a new alpha channel from active layer's transparency, returns channel object
                        function layerTransparencyToAlpha() {
                             var tempAlpha = app.activeDocument.channels.add();
                                    ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('Trsp') );
                                desc1.putReference( charIDToTypeID('T   '), ref );
                                desc1.putBoolean( charIDToTypeID('PrsT'), true );
                            desc.putObject( charIDToTypeID('With'), charIDToTypeID('Clcl'), desc1 );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('AppI'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                             return tempAlpha;
                        };
                        // gets channel mask settings, returns custom object
                        function getChannelMaskSettings(){
                             var desc = executeActionGet(ref);
                             var channelMask = {};
                             // density should be percent. it is 0-255 instead. so convert because percent is need to set
                             channelMask.density = Math.round((desc.getInteger( stringIDToTypeID( 'userMaskDensity' ) ) / 255)*100);
                             channelMask.feather = desc.getUnitDoubleValue( stringIDToTypeID( 'userMaskFeather' ) );
                             return channelMask;
                        };
                        function setChannelMaskDensity( density ) {// integer
                                ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Lyr '), charIDToTypeID('Ordn'), charIDToTypeID('Trgt') );
                                desc1.putUnitDouble( stringIDToTypeID('userMaskDensity'), charIDToTypeID('#Prc'), density );
                            desc.putObject( charIDToTypeID('T   '), charIDToTypeID('Lyr '), desc1 );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('setd'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                        };
                        function setChannelMaskFeather( feather ) {// double
                                desc1.putUnitDouble( stringIDToTypeID('userMaskFeather'), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), feather );
                        };
                        // gets vector mask settings, returns custom object
                        function getVectorMaskSettings(){
                             var desc = executeActionGet(ref);
                             var vectorMask = {};
                             vectorMask.density = Math.round((desc.getInteger( stringIDToTypeID( 'vectorMaskDensity' ) ) / 255)*100);
                             vectorMask.feather = desc.getUnitDoubleValue( stringIDToTypeID( 'vectorMaskFeather' ) );
                             return vectorMask;
                        };
                        function setVectorMaskDensity( density ) {// integer
                                desc1.putUnitDouble( stringIDToTypeID('vectorMaskDensity'), charIDToTypeID('#Prc'), density );
                        };
                        function setVectorMaskFeather( feather ) {// double
                                desc1.putUnitDouble( stringIDToTypeID('vectorMaskFeather'), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), feather );
                        };
                        // create a layer vector mask from active path
                        function createVectorMask() {
                          try{
                                ref.putClass( charIDToTypeID('Path') );
                                var mask = new ActionReference();
                                mask.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Path'), charIDToTypeID('Path'), stringIDToTypeID('vectorMask') );
                            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID('At  '), mask );
                                var path = new ActionReference();
                                path.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('Path'), charIDToTypeID('Ordn'), charIDToTypeID('Trgt') );
                            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID('Usng'), path );
                            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('Mk  '), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                          }catch(e){ return -1; }
                        };
                        // converts the active layer into a tiff embedded smart object so it can be edited in ACR .
                        // editing in ACR requires ACR preferences to be set to edit all supported tiffs
                        function convertLayerToACRSmartObject(){
                             var layerName = app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name;
                             app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name = "Raw Smart Object";
                             // trim layer to document bounds.
                             app.activeDocument.crop(app.activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds);
                             // convert selected layer to smart object
                             executeAction( stringIDToTypeID( "newPlacedLayer" ), undefined, DialogModes.NO );
                             //  edit selected smart object
                             executeAction( stringIDToTypeID( "placedLayerEditContents" ), new ActionDescriptor(), DialogModes.NO );
                             if(app.activeDocument.bitsPerChannel != BitsPerChannelType.SIXTEEN) app.activeDocument.bitsPerChannel  = BitsPerChannelType.SIXTEEN;
                             if(app.activeDocument.mode != DocumentMode.RGB) app.activeDocument.changeMode(ChangeMode.RGB);
                             SaveAsTIFF( tempFile );
                             app.activeDocument.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
                             app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name = layerName;
                        };
                        };// end EditLayersInACR()

• 9. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                          s.mahn Level 2

Hi Michael,

Fantastic work. Can't believe we get two such useful scripts from one request.

I'm really excited to get this going. Having a bit of trouble out of the gate though. Probably user error on my end.

Any tips?

Error 8.jpg

• 10. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                            Michael L Hale Level 5

From the error message I think that you saved the file in rich text format. That format contains formatting codes that Photoshop does not understand. It needs to be plain text. On Windows notepad is a good choice for a quick copy/paste job in plain text. You can also use ExtendScript ToolKit editor/debugger that is installed with Photoshop.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                              s.mahn Level 2

That was it.

Bravo!

Just curious, what's your concern about transparency? My brief tests show it working pretty well, which wasn't the case with the prior approach of creating a new document and converting to RGB, wherein after ACR the layer and it's resultant mask were out of alignment. But here, in the original CMYK document, it's working quite well, in the two quick tests I just made.

• 12. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                                Michael L Hale Level 5

What I don't like is it has to blend the layer with the other visible layers to remove the transparency. It then uses the original transparency as a mask. It doesn't match exactly but it is close as long as you don't make big changes in ACR. I would rather not use ACR than have that difference but I can see where others would be happy with the results.

I think main problem is that the blending of the other layers is now part of the layer. So now adjusting it or any layer below it will effect the blending. In my testing I found myself making some adjustment to control the blending which not only doesn't work that well but shouldn't be needed.

• 13. Re: Can "Edit Layers in ACR" be actioned or scripted?
                                  s.mahn Level 2

I see what you're saying.

In my case the transparency is usually created via a path. Plus I'd typically dupe my target layer before sending it to ACR. So after the trip to ACR I'd simply create the transparency anew via the path or the original layer. So it shouldn't be a big issue in my workflow, unless registration/dimensions were noticeably off.

I'll see how it goes when I get into production, but I'm very optimistic this will work out just fine for my needs.

Thanks again.