21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 8:20 AM by peter minneapolis

bounding box

soshagayle777 Level 1

When trying to fit type in a small area.....   I set my type outside the article and then move it,  adjusting my bounding box to fit.   When I try to move it inside my page,  there is a light box around the bounding box.   It cuts off some of my type.   How do I get rid of the outer box ??? 

Dumb question I am sure but.........

Thank you!

• 1. Re: bounding box
          Grant H Level 4

please try explain this better! Can you upload a screen shot?

G

• 2. Re: bounding box
            peter minneapolis Level 4

soshagayle777 wrote:

When trying to fit type in a small area.....   I set my type outside the article and then move it,  adjusting my bounding box to fit.   When I try to move it inside my page,  there is a light box around the bounding box.   It cuts off some of my type.   How do I get rid of the outer box ??? 

Dumb question I am sure but.........

Thank you!

Is it possible that the text frame (not "box" in InDesign) has been defined with a white stroke that's a few points in width, and the stroke is specified to be outside the frame's path? Path here means the same as outline?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: bounding box
              soshagayle777 Level 1

Yes...  I think you are exactly right.  Can the text frame be taken off or at least not defined?

• 4. Re: bounding box
                soshagayle777 Level 1

Under text frame options,  I checked ignore text wrap and it seemed to help.   Would that be the correct thing to do?

• 5. Re: bounding box

soshagayle777 wrote:

Under text frame options,  I checked ignore text wrap and it seemed to help.   Would that be the correct thing to do?

If it helped, good. How, exactly? Please create and send screen shots of before and after ignoring text wrap, to help us see what you're seeing.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: bounding box
                    soshagayle777 Level 1

By checking ignore text wrap worked....  I am very new to CS5 and Indesign.  I really don't know how to create a screen shot.   Sorry.  

I was able to get my type to go in so ....  For now everything is ok.

By giving me the information you did helped me.   Thank you!

• 7. Re: bounding box

soshagayle777 wrote:

By checking ignore text wrap worked....  I am very new to CS5 and Indesign.  I really don't know how to create a screen shot.   Sorry.  

I was able to get my type to go in so ....  For now everything is ok.

By giving me the information you did helped me.   Thank you!

Search Google for terms like "how to make a mac screenshot" or "how to make a windows screen shot," without quotes.

Also see this post: Adobe Forums: How to screenshot in InDesign?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: bounding box
                        soshagayle777 Level 1

I think I have 2 screen shots of the box around the bounding box.   It is not working as I thought.    How to I attach it or upload it?

• 9. Re: bounding box

soshagayle777 wrote:

I think I have 2 screen shots of the box around the bounding box.   It is not working as I thought.    How to I attach it or upload it?

Did you read the full thread on the link in my previous post?

One of the post says:

Then visit the forum, write a post "here is a screen shot", and use the camera icon in the post edit toolbar to browse for, select, and insert your image.

You may not understand that it refers to the "camera icon" that appears when you start a new post on the forum. The icon looks like this:
                          Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 2.12.11 PM.png
                          The instructions for making a mac screen shot in the last posts on that thread don't work on my Mac, Snow Leopard, 10.6.7. The key combination Cmd+Shift+4 does work; you can drag around the portion of your screen that you want to capture. It's saved to a folder called "OS X Key Screen Shots." The picture is save to your Mac with a filename like "Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 2.12.11 PM." I'm not sure how the Mac decides where to create this folder. However, you can search for that folder name, or the first part of the file name, like "Screen shot 2011-07," that's the year and month the file was saved.

When you click the camera icon, you're prompted to locate the file you want to insert in the post, on your computer.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: bounding box
                            soshagayle777 Level 1

Here is a screen shot.  Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 12.41.19 PM.png

Will send next one on new reply.

Notice the   Thank You at the top with white around bounding box.

• 11. Re: bounding box
                              soshagayle777 Level 1

Here's second screen shot...

Well now it is telling me it is too big.....  Same size as last one ????

I will keep trying but you can tell by the first shot what I am talking about.   If you try to move it down into the letter,  it cuts off some of the type and it should fit in there.....

• 12. Re: bounding box
                                soshagayle777 Level 1

2nd shot....

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 3.01.15 PM.png
                                • 13. Re: bounding box

soshagayle777 wrote:

Here is a screen shot.  Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 12.41.19 PM.png

Will send next one on new reply.

Notice the   Thank You at the top with white around bounding box.

Usually it's more helpful to focus the area of a screen shot on the key problem, but in this case, including so much more helps suggest how to analyze and fix the problem. The other text frames don't have an interior border like the one around the Thank you text.

One thing you can do to get rid of the problem without understanding it is simply to copy one of those text frames delete its content, type the desired text into it, apply the paragraph style, and resize the frame as needed.

The other thing you can do is compare the properties of the problem frame with those of the non-problem frames. Is there a text inset property for the thank you text frame? That usually appears as an inner border like the one in your shot. If you draw a new text frame with the text tool, if the problem goes away, it's a problem only with the single frame or object. If the problem returns every time you draw a new text frame, it likely that some text frame properties had been set when nothing was selected, which made them the default properties for future uses of the tool.

Search Google for terms like "setting InDesign tool defaults," "setting InDesign application defaults," "setting InDesign document defaults," and similar phrases, without quotes for details on this.

I think your object is a text frame that's grouped with a larger frame that's not a text frame - either unassigned or graphic frame type. If you click into the center text frame with a text tool, you'll be able to edit the text. If you select the inner text frame with a double click of the black-arrow selection tool, you'll see the text frame border as it is in your shot. If you single click on the border of the outer frame, and you see selection handles and a dotted border, it's a graphic or unassigned frame. If you double click on the outer border and you see a solid border line and selection handles, again it's a graphic or unassigned frame. If you single or double click and drag the outer frame by its border, then it's a grouped object - a text frame grouped upon a graphic or unassigned frame.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign selection tools," "InDesign grouped objects," and similar terms without quotes, for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 14. Re: bounding box
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If I'm seeing things correctly, it's not a group, it's a text frame that has text wrap applied to itself. I suspect the text is not really being "cut off" when that frame is moved, but is being pushed out of the way by the text wrap.

Try selecting the frame and opening the text wrap panel, then click the button on the top left to remove the wrap.

• 15. Re: bounding box

P Spier wrote:

If I'm seeing things correctly, it's not a group, it's a text frame that has text wrap applied to itself. I suspect the text is not really being "cut off" when that frame is moved, but is being pushed out of the way by the text wrap.

Try selecting the frame and opening the text wrap panel, then click the button on the top left to remove the wrap.

Text wrap is one suspicion I overlooked, Peter. Thanks for the insight.

I don't have the file, just the screen shot. When I tried a text wrap, it looked the same as the test group that led me to conclude it was a group.

This points out a need for a feature request: the text frame options dialog box should show whether text wrap is applied to the selected text frame. The object style options dialog box has indicators for all possible object properties. I'll submit a request for an indicator in the options dialog box, and also for an indicator on the frame itself.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 16. Re: bounding box

Second screen shot shows it is definitely text wrap applied to the Thank you frame.

• 17. Re: bounding box

P Spier wrote:

Second screen shot shows it is definitely text wrap applied to the Thank you frame.

compare text wrap and group.png

Without the actual file, it's a visual tie, to my eye.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 18. Re: bounding box

I'm referring to the shot in post # 12, where the frame has been moved.

• 19. Re: bounding box

P Spier wrote:

I'm referring to the shot in post # 12, where the frame has been moved.

thank you displacing 4.png

As visual evidence, the effect looks pretty close, to my eye.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 20. Re: bounding box

Well I grant you it looks pretty similar, but I think you jumped through hoops to get to that point. I presume you grouped two frames, either applied wrap to the entire group, or just to the outer frame, and then moved the group, and finally selected the text frame inside the group. If the entire group were selected the text frame would not be showing the selection handles and ports, and the group would have a dotted outline.

For what it's worth, when the OP is looking at his file, the wrap path should be quite visibly lighter than a standard frame edge outline, and it will disappear when the frame is not selected, so that should help you narrow it down, too.

• 21. Re: bounding box

P Spier wrote:

Well I grant you it looks pretty similar, but I think you jumped through hoops to get to that point. I presume you grouped two frames, either applied wrap to the entire group, or just to the outer frame, and then moved the group, and finally selected the text frame inside the group. If the entire group were selected the text frame would not be showing the selection handles and ports, and the group would have a dotted outline.

For what it's worth, when the OP is looking at his file, the wrap path should be quite visibly lighter than a standard frame edge outline, and it will disappear when the frame is not selected, so that should help you narrow it down, too.

It takes fewer hoops once the problem's been defined clearly.

I don't do production work, so I don't have the advantage of rich experience to quickly identify which of the many possible ways are used to achieve a given visual result, especially without having the InDesign file itself.

Hoop-jumping isn't necessarily bad. As Edison is alleged to have said, "I didn't fail ten thousand times to develop one light bulb, I discovered how to make ten thousand different light bulbs."

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices