17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 6:21 AM by lawson23

10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update

lawson23 Level 1

When trying to apply the update file (AdbeRdrUpd1010_MUI.msp) released back 6/14 I get:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or hte upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

Any suggestions???

Tried on a XP SP3 machine and also a Windows 7 x64 box.  Same error on both systems.

Update Instructions from Adobe update download:

Installation Instructions

This is a cumulative update that can be applied to Adobe Reader MUI version 10.0 and directly on top of 10.0.1 if this is already installed. To determine which version of Adobe Reader you have currently installed, choose Help > About Adobe Reader.

If you have version 10.0 or 10.0.1 installed, download and install this cumulative patch.

Message was edited by: lawson23

• 1. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
          pwillener Level 8

You do have the MUI version of Adobe Reader installed?

• 2. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
            lawson23 Level 1

So this update is for MUI ONLY??  I don't believe we have MUI installed it is just standard adobe 10.0.1 install.  If we do not have MUI does this mean we can't update?  As this is the ONLY update file I see available for download.

I have verified it is the slimmed down english only version without AIR.

• 3. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
              Stewmang1

I'm having the same problem. I deployed the non MUI version of Adobe Reader 10.0 customised with a transform then subsequently deployed the 10.0.1 patch when this was released. Now when I try to install AdbeRdrUpd1010_MUI.msp I get the same error message.

• 4. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                paczesny

I had a similar problem last week and resolved this by applying the 10.1 patch to 10.0.

• 5. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                  lawson23 Level 1

ok I don't see a 10.1 patch for the english version of adobe reader.

The only thing I see is basically the full product download.  Even if I go into a 10.0.1 and click update it downloads the entire product of 10.1 install instead of just the patch.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Is Adobe not going to support patches for non mui products now?  If so did they announce this somewhere?  the stupid mui is 146MB compared to a 40MB install I use.  I can't believe I have to use something that is so much larger!  In order to maintain patches.

• 6. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                    paczesny Level 1

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/907/cpsid_90705.html

After Acrobat 10.0.1 is installed using an Admin Install Point (AIP),  the 10.1 patch fails to install over the 10.0.1 installation. The  following message appears: "The upgrade cannot be installed by the  Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be  missing, or the upgrade may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that  you have the correct upgrade." [2818745]

-------

Are you using AIP's for updates?

I think you're stuck using the full version and trimming off the fat as needed but haven't seen anything concrete to back this up...

• 7. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                      lawson23 Level 1

Define what a AIP is?

I know what it stands for.  Bascially I downloaded the 10.0.1 exe and extracted the contents.  used CIW to create transform file.  Then I deploy from this setup.  It installs 10 and in the process the 10.0.1 msp is defined in the setup.ini to kick off.

• 8. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                        paczesny Level 1

This is how I/we do it:  http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/479    (ignore the fact that it refers to 9.x because the process works on newer versions)

Where I ran into problems was with trying to figure out what updates can be stacked on top of each other.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html

Acceptable:      Acrobat  9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0  (Quarterly) -> 9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3  (Quarterly) -> 9.4.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.3  (Security) -> 9.4.4 (Security)

Unacceptable:  Acrobat 9.0.0 -> 9.1.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.1.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.2.0 (Quarterly) ->  9.3.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.2 (Quarterly) -> 9.3.3 (Quarterly) ->  9.4.0 (Quarterly) -> 9.4.1 (Security) -> 9.4.2 (Quarterly) ->  9.4.3 (Security) -> 9.4.4 (Security) -> 9.4.5 (Quarterly)

There's nothing spelled out like this for 10.x series yet but looking at the older versions helped me 'get' what's going on.

• 9. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                          lawson23 Level 1

Ok we do not use a AIP.

Basically we install the extracted setup.exe file and in the extraction is a setup.ini file and the MSI and the 10.0.1 msp.  I then do a CIW run to create a mst against the MSI in that folder.  When I run the setup.exe it calls the MSI which calls the mst and once installed the setup.exe applies the msp from the setup.ini that calls it.

Now I would like to apply the msp to the desktops but looks like adobe doesn't provide one anymore.

I sure would like to see something about decision to only support the mui version this because I would hate to start supporting the mui then find next release they only release the update for something else!

• 10. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                            Stewmang1 Level 1

I also extracted the msi from the original setup.exe using the -nos switches and deployed this. The only difference being that I deployed Reader X as soon as it was released then subsequently sent out the 10.0.1 patch in a separate deployment when it was released.

I'm being kicked by our InfoSec team over this so I've just had to bite the bullet and deploy the currently availble MSI thereby carrying out a full reinstall on all our workstations. Whilst I'm sure this method takes longer to complete than an msp patch would, it doesn't appear to take too long and I've not had any problems so far. I've just used the MST file from my original depoyment with one minor adjustment.

• 11. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                              lawson23 Level 1

Stew did you just have the deployment install over the old install?

Also what was the minor change to the mst?  Was it something 10.1 related or just a policy change you wanted to implement?

From the looks of it this is also what I'm going to have to do.

• 12. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                Stewmang1 Level 1

Lawson

Yes I just installed over the existing 10.0.1 instances with no problems. The change I made to the MST was to disable the Adobe Acrobat Update Service introduced in 10.1. I did this by going to the ServiceInstall table and changing the value of ServiceInstall1 StartType to 4.

• 13. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                  lawson23 Level 1

I'm taking it you redeployed the english only version because I can't find that table in the MUI version.

Which I'm going to so I can hopefully released just updates in the future.

• 14. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                    LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

This service has been added in 10.1 and you would have to open Reader MUI 10.0.0 in Orca and open 10.1 Reader MUI Patch on top of it.

On a separate note-

What is the goal you are trying to achieve by changing this table?

If your goal is to not to use service at all, you can set DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL property to 1 in the Property table and the service will not be installed.

If the goal is to disable Updater, the absence of the service is not the right way to do it.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                      lawson23 Level 1

This item does not exist in the Property table.  Do you just add a Row for it in that table instead of modifing a row?

I want this service to not run.  I don't care if it exist or not.  I checked the disable Adobe Updater and on my Windows 7 test box it installed the service and is set to automatically start.

• 16. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                        LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Yes,

add row.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: 10.0.1 to 10.1 won't apply update
                                          lawson23 Level 1

The add row function to the property table prevents the service from installing.  Thank you!