6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 12:14 PM by MattNeedsHelp

How do I create something like a special features menu?

MattNeedsHelp Level 1

I've only been using Elements for about 2 days now and I can't find the answer to this question.

I know it's basic and most be insanely easy to do but I can't figure it out.

I've got some extra clips I want to put on my DVD, but not stuff in the main movie.

You know, like a special feature section on a commercial DVD.

Do I do something like add it in to the main timeline after the main movie?

I don't want the extra clips to play after the movie, and I don't want the extra clips showing up in the Scene Selection menu either.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: How do I create something like a special features menu?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is easier to do in other programs (like DVD Architect Studio), but it is possible to do with Premiere Elements.

Put the "extras" clips after your main movie on your timeline. Then, at the end of your main movie, add a Stop Marker.

At the beginning of your "extras" clips add a Main Menu Marker. Then make sure that the disc menu template you choose has a link from the main menu page to extras. (Few templates do -- which is why most people do this type of disc authoring in another program.)

• 2. Re: How do I create something like a special features menu?
            MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Hmm... I thought elements would be set up to do it since it seems like a pretty standard thing to me.

So what's the "video 2" and so on section on the timeline for if everything goes on the same timeline?

• 3. Re: How do I create something like a special features menu?
              MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Steve I did like you suggested.

It did work, however it doesn't create another... 'menu section' I'd guess you call it (like the 'scenes' menu section), it just creates a link that plays the clip.

Which isn't bad. But I've got like 3 clips I'd perfer were listed under there own page.

My front main menu page is going to look very cluttered like this.

• 4. Re: How do I create something like a special features menu?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I thought elements would be set up to do it since it seems like a pretty standard thing to me.

It is pretty standard, but the authoring functions in PrE are fairly limited and linear. They work easily for the majority of Projects, where one just does the Chapters in the Timeline.

I strongly second Steve's advice to pick up a copy of Sony's DVD Architect, as it will allow one to do much more, from a navigational standpoint - such as have an introduction piece (a Play First) appear before the initial Menu. It will also allow much more control with regards to non-linear Menus, and "bonus features."

I use another Adobe program, Encore, but it is available ONLY with PrPro. It allows great power, but the trade off is that one does everything by hand - no automation, like in PrE.

BTW - Steve has written a very good book on DVD Architect, and it's highly recommended.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I create something like a special features menu?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will not be able to do this in Premiere Elements. As I said, it's authoring capabilities are too limited.

The best value in DVD authoring is DVD Architect Studio, available as a $39 download from Sony Creative Software. You can output your finished videos from Premiere Elements using Share/Computer/MPEG (NTSC DVD) and they'll load perfectly into the software.

I've created a series of Basic Training tutorials for the program for http://Muvipix.com. They'll give you an idea of how intuitively the program works. Just go to Muvipix.com and type "DVD Architect" in the search box.

If you need detailed instructions for using the program, including how to do what you're trying to do, I've written a book.

http://Muvipix.com/dvdas5.php

1 person found this helpful