8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 9:42 AM by kajzica

Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue

ubuNoir

Hi, my workflow calls for creating content in Microsoft Word 2010 with embedded EPS art, in this case MathType 6.7a math objects. When I import these manuscripts (after saving as Word 97/2003 format) into my Adobe InDesign CS5.5 templates, the embedded inline graphics have been resized. Strangely, InDesign is keeping the container frame at the correct dimensions and then upsizing or downsizing the art inside that box.

When I export a sample graphic from the Word file and unembed the same graphic after import it into InDesign, the two graphics are different sizes. InDesign might increase the size of one embedded graphic by 400% and then scale it down to 25% inside the anchored picture box and then in the next anchored picture box it might decrease the size the art to 50% and scale it to 200%.

I did a test and created a graphic in Adobe Illustrator, saved it as EPS, placed the graphic into a Microsoft Word 2010 document, saved it out to 97/2003 format, imported that doc into an empty Adobe InDesign CS5.5 file. Again! InDesign changed the size of the art and re-scaled it to appear the same.

I've been able to duplicate this issue on InDesign CS4 also, on both Windows XP and Windows 7.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone know why the InDesign import filter doesn't import inline art in a Word document at 100%? Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
          MrMathType Level 2

I think you'll have better results by using the Place command to place the entire Word document (equations and all) into InDesign. Try it out as described here, and see if this works: http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/works_with.htm?target=indesign#import_word

• 2. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
            ubuNoir Level 1

Hi, MrMathType,

Thanks for the suggestion. The Place command does appear to yield more reliable results (interestingly, different results from the Import filters placement). However, placing 5000 equations is going to mean doubling the budget for the production of this book, which means it won't get published.

I'm really curious to know: If the Place command brings in an EPS file at 100% magnification and puts it in a box with default 100% scale, then why does the Import filter bring in the same piece of art at 400% and put it in a box with 25% scale?

Anyone out there with detailed knowledge of how the Microsoft Word Import filter works have any ideas? Thanks!

• 3. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
              MrMathType Level 2

Hi there lakeskuller,

I can't answer your question about the magnification during Place, so hopefully someone else can, but I wanted to mention that in your case you're not actually needing to "place" 5000 equations. You're using the Place command to place the Word document into InDesign. This process does the work for you, and properly places the equations where they need to be. What it doesn't do, and it may be this is what you were talking about, is link the equations. It embeds the equations. If you want them linked, with the advantages thereof, that's what you'll need to do as a separate process, but I believe this can be done once by selecting all the equations in the file. This is the process described in the article I linked to in my earlier post.

Bob

• 4. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
                ubuNoir Level 1

Hi, Bob,

Can you please test this on your system (what OS and what version of Word & InDesign?): Make a Word document, embed an EPS file in the Word document, import the Word document into an InDesign document while choosing to retain inline graphics. Now select the inline graphic with the content tool. Is the scaling 100%? On our workstations here (Windows XP & 7, Microsoft Word 2010, InDesign CS5.5) the art embedded in the Word files is not coming through the InDesign Import filter with a 100% scaling.

The process describe on the Design Science support page does indeed work, but the InDesign Import filter is scaling the embedded art. I'm trying to find a way to get the art through the Word Import filter with no art scaling. I need the art to be scaled at 100% as drafted.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  InDesign changed the size of the art and re-scaled it to appear the same.

I tested this a bit, and I think that it's actually Word that is re-scaling. I did this in InDesign CS4 on Win7 using Word2007. Check out what I did:

I made a Word file with a single .eps file. I saved as .rtf, .doc, and .docx. I then placed all three files into InDesign. The .doc and .rtf scaled my images as you reported. The .docx scaled the image, but a great deal less than did the .doc. I then renamed the "EPS test.docx" to "EPS test.zip" and opened up the zipfile, and navigated to the image I had placed, saved as a .wmf file. I opened that .wmf file in Illustrator, and found that it was not at the same scale as the source EPS file. In fact, it was re-scaled exactly as much as the inline image was scaled in InDesign.

So, there's no way to prove it for the .doc that I can think of, but for .docx, the scaling is happening at EPS import into Word, not when the .docx is placed into ID. I'd bet my beard that it's Word doing the scaling-and-resizing, not ID.

• 6. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
                    Electroscribe_2015 Level 1

InDesign CS4 quit altogether while importing .docx files saved in Word 2010. Had been working in Draft view in Office 2010 and did not see the illustrations (I avoid importing art to InDesign from Word documents,  and instead try to find the original graphic file and link it separately).

My Work computer runs InDesign CS4, Office 2007, and Windows XP. My home computer runs InDesign CS5.5, Office 2010 and Windows 7 Professional.
                    This file was, however, created at work in CS4 trying to import a word file edited at home. Workaround was to save document in Word 2003 (.doc) format, remove all graphics, and either import the .doc file into InDesign or if a .docx file had to be edited, save it in Word 2007. But ditched the graphics.

• 7. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
                      movemen-David

Here at movemen GmbH, we are gearing up to release a new product called mt.importer 1.0 in Q4 2011. mt.importer 1.0 will provide text book and scholarly journal publishers the ability to properly Place MS Word documents containing MathType Equation Format (MTEF) equations and convert the equations to native mt.editor equations for use in Adobe InDesign or InCopy. Today when placing these source manuscripts into Adobe InDesign or InCopy all the mathematic, scientific and financial equations are imported as EPS graphics and can no longer be edited by mt.editor. mt.importer eliminates the need to manually rekey the equations. We developed a unique, post-processing plug-in that is called after initial native InDesign/InCopy import.

To learn more about mt.importer 1.0 from movemen, please go to http://movemen.com/products/details/mt.importer/. There is a recorded product overview and a recorded product demo. If you additional questions, please contact us at info@movemen.com. We will be offereing a FREE 2-week trial version shortly, so do stay tuned.

Thanks,

• 8. Re: Importing Microsoft Word doc to InDesign with embedded EPS art ~ scaling issue
                        kajzica Level 1

My solution for this is:

1. Place *.docx (yes, docx) word document with mathtype equations into indesign. This will set correct baseline for equations which is very important.

2. download this scalegraphics script http://in-tools.com/downloads/indesign/scripts/ScaleGraphics.zip

3. copy script from zip folder to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS4\Scripts\Scripts Panel\Samples\JavaScript

4. open palet (window/autoamtion/scripts) scripts, find new sript and run it

Voila, all equations is at 100%...

Script explanation: http://in-tools.com/article/scripts-blog/scale-graphics-script/

In links palete equations have eps extension but this is embeded wmf files so you cant open them in photoshop or distill it with distiller.-((( I use export to pdf option in indesign to make pdf file.

If you want all this eps links to export from indesign use this method:

1. in links palete select all links

2. in palete menu choose "unembed link"

3. on answer window choose "no"

4. select folder where you want indesign save files

5. press "select"

6.  now you have all links in new folder unembed from indesign document and you can edit it with mathtype.