9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 7:09 AM by KJerryK

Speech Analysis

TKlopp

Hello,

This may be a dumb question - but I'll play to my strength I guess...

I have Premiere Pro v5.5 for Windows and I am trying to use the 'Speech Analysis' feature. I select a video clip with audio in the project and then click on the Metadata tab. The 'Speech Analysis' arrow is there - but the 'Analyze' button is greyed out. Why is this?

Thanks!

Ted

• 1. Re: Speech Analysis
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What sort of video file?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Speech Analysis
            TKlopp Level 1

It is an HD video file with an MTS extension. What other information do I need to provide?

Ted

• 3. Re: Speech Analysis
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Do you have it in the PRIVATE folder structure, as shot by the camera? Or are the clips free-floating?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Speech Analysis
                TKlopp Level 1

I pulled the video files out of the private folder structure on the SD card my camera shoots on - and onto my HD. They are free-floating in the project.

• 5. Re: Speech Analysis
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere has a bug (though I haven't had it confirmed) where it won't generate XMP metadata files (needed for the transcription metadata) when AVCHD MTS files are outside of the camera's folder structure. As a result, you simply can't transcribe these files when they're "naked."

In general, it's best to keep the AVCHD files in the PRIVATE folder. Not only will you be able to run speech transcription, but you'll get other benefits like clip spanning and timecode. You lose all of that when you run with the files bare. Simply copy the PRIVATE folder and all of its contents onto your hard drive, probably into a top level folder, e.g. Card1, Card2, etc.

Here's an MTS file out of the AVCHD folder structure (note how File metadata is listed as "<Not editable>" and the Analyze button is grayed out):

mts2.PNG

Here's an MTS file in the AVCHD structure (Analyze button active):

mts1.PNG

• 6. Re: Speech Analysis
                    TKlopp Level 1

Cool - I will try this. Do you know if Adobe is aware of this 'bug' or if a fix is in the works at all... The problem with this is that it changes the entire file structure I have been working with - for all my projects to this point. :( Just curious. Thanks!

• 7. Re: Speech Analysis
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

No idea if it's being fixed, or even regarded as a bug. If you find it annoying--as I have--please file a bug report/feature request: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

A workaround of sorts: select all the MTS clips in your bin, and go to Clip > Audio Options > Extract Audio. This will generate WAV files for all the clips, which you can transcribe. Drop the MTS clip(s) into a sequence, and then drag each matching WAV file from the bin, and while holding Alt+Shift, drop it on to the MTS file it belongs to. You'll then have to copy and paste those clips to another sequence if you don't want to work on them there, but at least you'll have transcription metadata with the clips. It's kind of a kludge, but your options are a little limited right now, if you want the speech metadata.

• 8. Re: Speech Analysis
                        sundeep yadav

I think i resolved it other way round just wanted to share as it worked for me and might just work fro you guys too

try changing the file extension to M2V and check.

Regards

Sundeep Yadav

• 9. Re: Speech Analysis
                          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That work-around was also recently posted on Adobe Community Help at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS29F692D2-7A49-44db-A109-AE016B766767.ht ml