7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2011 6:08 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files

athaynes25

I have been searching the forums for a while and looking through the help file trying to find out why the video I shoot with my Canon HF S100 camera is crap after PE9 gets done with it. Granted I am new to all of this, so I am not pointing any fingers at this point and hope this it is just my ignorance. The .mts file is listed in the supported formats of the help menu. I am shooting 1920X1080 and the camera is set to 60i for the frame rate. I am still leaning the lingo and what it all means. The rendering in the timeline looks just as good as the original footage and I add a few transitions, and titles, etc. The render turns out great and i save the file only to watch a bunch of grainy or wavy video.

I tried to just add a video with no editing and save it to a DVD and it is the same poor quality. I guess I assumed that PE9 would select the best output settings based on the source file. I read that previous versions of PE had problems with the mts format, but never used them, so I hope that what I am getting is not the Adobe idea of a supported format.

I apologize in advance if I left out any or all details you need to provide any type of guidance. Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started you Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the correct project settings then the video clips you've added to your timeline will have no lines above them until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your project?

You say you are seeing poor results in your output. What Share options and settings are you using? And what program are you judging the quality on?

You say you output a DVD to check the video quality. Are you aware that a DVD has less than one-fourth the resolution of a hi-def AVCHD video file? So naturally it's going to look much less detailed.

So I'm sorry -- it's hard to say what's up and why you're seeing reduced quality without more information so we can figure out if you're comparing apples to apples, apples to oranges or apples to cranberries, for that matter.

When you properly set up a project and output, the final output (assuming it's the same resolution) should look virtually identical to the original video files.

In you're interested, I've created a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. That could help get you started with the program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

And if you want to know more, there are many more tutorials on the site. I've also written detailed how-to books that cover every tool in the program.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

So there are ways to get up to speed pretty quickly and easily if you're interested.

• 2. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
            athaynes25 Level 1

I read one of your other posts about the red lines above the video in the timeline and don't have any red lines. unless I add affects and don't render.

Not sure why I assumed that I could save to a DVD format and expect the same quality as HD. I thought it was just a space thing and not formating. I am just testing a few different share options. I am wanting to save the files to my computer to gain a little confidence before I start creating BluRay coasters. I used DVD since I could save to a file on my PC instead of the DVD for testing.

I am opening the origional and PE9 video in Windows Media Player.

Thanks for any pointers and I will have to head over to your site once I get a basic video created to get more excited about this process and technology.

• 3. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is for Encore, but you should be able to do similar in PreEl

BluRay image on a DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871854?tstart=0

• 4. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow one to Burn to Image for either DVD, or BD. It will allow Burn to Folder (similar, but different), for DVD only, but not BD.

To Burn to Folder for a BD, one would need a utility, like Phantom Drive, that will fool PrE into believing that a Folder on the HDD is really a BD burner. From that point, one could then use ImgBurn, the great, free burning utility.

Exactly why PrE does not include Burn to Image, or even Burn to Folder for BD is a mystery to me, as both can be so very useful. Maybe those extra Sonic AuthorCore modules would bloat PrE too much?

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
                  Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Yes, Bill,

I am still using PE 4 for that ( have just completed 10 Blu-Ray discs) with no problems have tried PE9 and it does not meet my requirements, why do Adobe downgrade their new products ?But, of course I still use HDV/mpeg-2 with still very good results and no hassels.

Regards

• 6. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

You are not the only user to feel that PrE 4.0 was a very good release.

Each ensuing version did add things, like more Presets, and native editing of some formats, but then some have felt that they also lost a few things too - "in the eye of the beholder," I suppose?

Now, are you burning directly to BD, or are you also using Phantom Drive, or similar, and then doing the physical burn from there, after testing?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE9 and Canon HF S100 .mts files
                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Bill,

Yes, straight from the PE4 timeline via SHARE in Premiere Elements 4 or EXPORT and tick the Blu-Ray Disc box. and at H.264 or mpeg-2 ,(fit to disk is probably the best way to go) the transfer speed and pixel size is about 38.5Mbps the result is broadcast quality on a split Sony Bravia Full HD TV at 1920 x 1080 it equals broadcast on the split screen and depending on content even better... It is in fact eqivalent to the quality of a transfer to archival  Pro tape.Which I do directly from the Premiere Pro timeline. There is no shimmering in the verticals or horizontal lines  as if you downgrade it to a standard DVD, it very clean without artifacts of any sort, as is always the case with EXPORT to TAPE. i did a terial of PE 9 and frankly it did not look as good, may have been the watermark over the monitor of the trial version, but, I do not think so.

Regards