4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 4:51 PM by Peter Spier

Crop marks inaccurate in "placed" PDF file, ok in original ID file??

grccKA

Hi all,

I've created a file using InDesign (CS5) and exported it to PDF format, with crop marks (for proofing purposes).  I then "place" the PDF file(s) back into an InDesign document and align them as a master for printing/cutting.  However, the crop marks are ever so slightly off (maybe 1/32 of an inch or less?).  As the cutter cuts every 2 inches, this "off-ness" gets larger with each 2" piece cut down the page so the last object ends up being maybe 1/16 of an inch off.  The original InDesign file prints exactly on-mark.

Why is this and is there a way to fix it??

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Crop marks inaccurate in "placed" PDF file, ok in original ID file??
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What?

Why not just make the crop marks in InDesign.

Put a rectangle of fill none and stroke none on the master page around the page edge

Window>Utlitilites>Scripts>>Application>>Samples>Scripts>>>CropMarks.jsx

There you have your crop marks in indesign.

But if you have  PDF with Crop marks already on it why not just print from the PDF?

Why are you placing the PDF back into InDesign?

• 2. Re: Crop marks inaccurate in "placed" PDF file, ok in original ID file??
            grccKA Level 1

Getting crop marks isn't the issue, as I can do that using a variety of methods, including what you describe.  In our case, the PDF is less work because we create individual PDFs of each object (business cards, in this case) to send out for proof and we'd rather use the handy built-in method of placing a PDF to a master of several cards instead of pasting or recreating each original on the master.

I guess I'm just wondering why a robust program designed for production printing such as this has an option for including crop marks in a PDF if the PDF isn't going to be accurate when placed back into a design file?  I was hoping I made an error in my set-up somehow, which is still possible I suppose.

• 3. Re: Crop marks inaccurate in "placed" PDF file, ok in original ID file??
              Stix Hart Level 5

I can understand why you're doing it like that, in fact I do exactly the same thing but I never have any problems?   How are you aligning them?  I use math and the position fields.  Could you supply a screenshot of what you do?  Use the camera icon on the web interface to select and upload a previously saved image like this:

1.png

• 4. Re: Crop marks inaccurate in "placed" PDF file, ok in original ID file??
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I do the same thing too, but when I import I change the crop option on the PDF to "crop" and remove the marks, dropping it into an ID template that has its own marks in the correct positions, or if for some reason I want to preserve existing marks I use step and repeat to position multiple copies, then relink the ones that should be different.