6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 4:54 AM by Peter Spier

Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.

GoldCountry86

This is the second time I've purchased an Adobe Design product, encountered bugs, and received no help from Customer Support. The last time, with Dreamweaver, several people in our office tried and failed to get help from Customer Support. We eventually had to find a work around on our own. This time, I'm on my own, and don't think a work around is possible.

My copy of ID 5.5 is corrupt. All images place and then export as pixilated and jagged, plus html tags for ePub become corrupted on export. I phoned Adobe Tech Support last week. Spoke to someone in India, who shared my screen with me, and agreed I'm using the program correctly, that InDesign shouldn't be doing what it's doing. He told me he would call back in two hours with a solution. Still hasn't called back. Got an email that my support case was open and that a response was required from me, but when I go to the open ticket page, there is absolutely no information about the case. It doesn't list the problem I've reported, what is being done, nor what type of response they're requesting from me. The only thing on the page is a box for me to type in a message. Did it. Did it twice. No response from Adobe.

I am really getting frustrated here and believe the best thing to do would be to re-install the program. Only problem, I'm a subscription user. I don't have a disk. I also can't locate the page on adobe.com that even says if uninstalling and reinstalling the program is allowed.

Does anyone know how to do this and where to find the page about re-installing Adobe subscription software? Not just the regular Adobe Support page. Already been there a number of times. The actual page where you go to reinstall your subscription software, or perhaps order a disk after the fact.

Thank you. I would really appreciate the help. WIthout fixing this, the software is useless.

• 1. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

No, but.

I think there's not a lot of experience with subscription problems here -- most of us are existing InDesign users and the subscription model is new.

Adobe North America is on vacation all this week. I realize support is mostly in India (InDia?) but that probably doesn't help.

I can't imagine uninstalling and reinstalling is not allowed.

I would download the trial version of InDesign and install that -- it's exactly the same as the regular version, and I imagine the same as the subscription version. With normal licensing, you can install the trial, wait 30 days, and then punch in a valid serial number without having to reinstall. So I imagine that subscription model is somewhat similar, but again, I can't speak with authority.

Anyhow, have you tried the standard solutions linked from the main forum page?

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Clean  corrupt files by exporting to Interchange Format (.idml): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

Best of luck.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
            GoldCountry86 Level 1

Thank you for the response, John.

Didn't realize Adobe was on vacation all week. I did call India again on Monday and they said they were off for the Holiday. Tried again on Tuesday and couldn't get through, but figured too many people were calling with problems.

Yup, have gone through the procedures you suggested. I've owned previous versions of ID and never had the image problem. Subscribed to 5.5 expressly for the whiz-bang new ePub features. I don't need it for print, or web, as I don't do print documents, and can code websites on my own.

Your idea about downloading the Trial version sounds like a good one, except that I started this subscription as a trial. I'm a photographer, so my main program is Photoshop. Didn't even open this version of InDesign until days after I'd already paid for the subscription key to Design Standard. Anyway, I don't think Adobe will let me download another trial version.

The tech support guy didn't think this was an issue, but I believe the program might have become corrupt when I installed the Export for Kindle Plug-In. Stupid me, I installed it before even creating my first document. Just wanted to get the program all ready for creating eBooks. Will never install a third-party again. Could there be a way of uninstalling the plug-in that might reverse the corrupt ID software? (Probably wishful thinking).

• 3. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Anyway, I don't think Adobe will let me download another trial version.

They should. Try it. All license verification happens at run-time.

Could there be a way of uninstalling the plug-in that might reverse

the corrupt ID software? (Probably wishful thinking).

Just remove it from the Plug-Ins folder.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check the links panel, too, for warning symbols. The symptoms you describe are what I would expect with missing or modified links.

• 5. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
                  GoldCountry86 Level 1

No errors, all green light. One of the first things I checked.....

Removed the Kindle plug-in from the Plug-In folder, but the choice still came up in the export menu....

Was able to get through to an online chat rep who told me how to uninstall and reinstall. Had to go to the area where people ask questions before they buy the software (I guess the salespeople don't get the week off ;-) ).

Am getting ready for big event at my other day job, selling boring business supplies. Will try reinstalling on Sunday. Hope it works!!!!! In meantime, thanks everyone!

• 6. Re: Customer Support Won't Respond to Emails or Phone Calls. Give up. Need help.
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you are going to do a reinstall, you should run the clean tool after uninstalling but before putting the program back in.

Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool