4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 6:21 PM by stivblik

Which PE9 Project setting for BetaCam footage?

stivblik

Hi. I'm using Premier Elements 9 and I have footage i need to edit from an oldish Sony Beta Cam.

PE9 only seems to have presets for new digital cams.

I have tried the DV standard 48khz but i'm having an issue with stuttering on moving footage

after I have burned it to DVD. What is the problem and what are my options?

Is PE9  non compatible with old anolog tape footage.

many thanks

• 1. Re: Which PE9 Project setting for BetaCam footage?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements can not work with that video format.

(Though, if you working with this format as if it were analog, the big determiner would be which device you used to digitize the video into your computer. If you are using a DV bridge -- which connects to your computer via FireWire cable and saves your video as DV-AVIs -- you may still be able to do it.)

I'd recommend either the professional version of Premiere (CS 5) or the pro version of Sony Vegas.

• 2. Re: Which PE9 Project setting for BetaCam footage?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The term "BetaCam," can have very different meanings. Do you have the model number for that particular camera?

Per Steve's comments, this ARTICLE might prove useful to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Which PE9 Project setting for BetaCam footage?
              stivblik Level 1

thanks Steve/Bill

The betacam is a Sony BVP-90P

I have to download the video via a playback adapter into a DVD recorder that makes a VOB file.

I then edit this in PE9

I did an experiement on the footage. I selected a clip and in the video field options. I selected

the Reverse Field Dominance option and this seems to have erradicated the problem. ??

The problem only appears (randomly) after I burn to DVD and playback on a TV.

If I playback on a computer its fine.  So i'm assuming TV's/Computer Monitors

see the world through different eyes.

Also, are VOB files OK to start with or should I try and work with AVI only?

Thanks again for your understanding and priceless wisdom!

• 4. Re: Which PE9 Project setting for BetaCam footage?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, you're using a device for capturing your video that will essentially take you two steps back before it lets you go one step forward. I highly recommend agains that workflow.

You'll do much better if you capture your video through a DV bridge, like the ADS Pyro AV Link. It captures your video as DV-AVIs, which will not have any of the issues you describe.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

There may be ways to patch your video captured as VOB files so that it will work in Premiere Elements, but it's a sketchy proposition with lots of liabilities and I don't recommend it.