2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 1:58 AM by Jon-M-Spear

Limitations of three-way colour corrector?

Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I'm progressing through van Hurkman's Colo(u)r Correction Handbook which is taking my knowledge to new and dizzying heights.

I have a question regarding the effectiveness of PP's 3-way colour corrector:

First some van Hulkman background that I've absorbed: Shadows/ Gamma/ Gain (shadows, midtones, highlights) all have a degree of influence on each other ie, shadow adjustments influence gamma levels and vice versa, and gamma adjustments influences gain levels and vide versa. In correcting one, you need to keep an eye on the other.

Colorista 2 works EXACTLY like that and, using it for the tutorials, the results are as described in the book. However, PP's 3-way colour corrector Shadow/ Gamma/ Gain range of influence/overlap seem to be extremely narrow. Adjusting one does not seem to have an influence on its neighbour - there's virtually no overlap. Gain, in particular seems to have such a narrow tonal range, affecting only those highlights at the top end (I don't know how to quantify the greyscale range!). There's certainly no bleed across to the midtones.

In some occasions, it's almost impossible to correct highlights sufficiently, even though the subject definitely falls within the highlights tonal range.

I am aware that there's a tonal range control to adjust the bleed/range of influence but, unless you know what you're doing, it seems a bit arbitary.

Can anyone put me on the right track please? Is there an optimum "non-default" position for the Tonal Range Selector, for instance?

I would like to get to grips with the 3-way the colour corrector as it's an accelerated effect - unlike Colorisra.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Limitations of three-way colour corrector?
          shooternz Level 6

You have chosen to study one of the two best CC books (IMHO).

The only way I can answer your question is to say...eventually it comes down to your own eye.

( same with sound mixing except its your 'ear"

Theory and logic get surpassed by the eye and the ear..

There is not a default position  like a 'magic bullet". (apart from the  base set up in the plugin / effect).

Good luck and keep on working on it .  Learning.

( I am doing the same thing every time I C.C ..and I get better at it everytime)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Limitations of three-way colour corrector?
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

It's certainly a facsinating subject.

Reading through the online chat, there is general agreement that CC is an area that Premiere Pro could improve upon. 

Although I haven't actually found a van Hurkman tutorial that PP can't handle, and I'm no expert, there are instances where PP CC seems to be a bit clunky - and touch-and-go, as stated previously.

Now, back to the learning...